Some classic hire italY advice

highlander

Taking a break from an African safari next year and thinking of a weeks holiday in April in Pisa/Florence for a change. Prefrence would be air B&B and to hire a classic, like an Alfa spider, for a week to tour with so any advice on which company etc for car hire much appreciated.

Apologies for not directly answering your question.
My advice would be not to bother renting a car or taking your own.
It's the same advice I was given by a friend living in Florence, before I visited.
In Florence AND Pisa as a visitor, you're almost guaranteed to get ticketed. ( months after the fact)
There's a system called ZTL in both cities, which dictates who can drive in what direction,
in what streets, during which hours. Even the locals aren't 100% sure how it
works, so not much point asking them.
There's a good express train service between the cities, that only takes an hour or so.
In either city, having a car is a liability more than a benefit. Public transport (buses) is
a much better bet, for getting around either city and the routes etc are easy to navigate.
My ten cents worth :)

casadalloro

Chainti classic car hire florence....i rented a GTV 2000 about 6 years ago and loved it...as did the locals everywhere we parked in our area...

FB159C9B-5F0B-479A-B01F-FA78A8850D65.jpg

highlander

Chainti classic car hire florence....i rented a GTV 2000 about 6 years ago and loved it...as did the locals everywhere we parked in our area...

View attachment 45702

Thanks for that, I'll give them a look.
Apologies for not directly answering your question.
My advice would be not to bother renting a car or taking your own.
It's the same advice I was given by a friend living in Florence, before I visited.
In Florence AND Pisa as a visitor, you're almost guaranteed to get ticketed. ( months after the fact)
There's a system called ZTL in both cities, which dictates who can drive in what direction,
in what streets, during which hours. Even the locals aren't 100% sure how it
works, so not much point asking them.
There's a good express train service between the cities, that only takes an hour or so.
In either city, having a car is a liability more than a benefit. Public transport (buses) is
a much better bet, for getting around either city and the routes etc are easy to navigate.
My ten cents worth :)

Thanks Mike. Probably want a car more for touring the countryside than in the cities. Sounds a nightmare system mind.

Why wouldn't you take Marci? She'd love it.

TBH Ewan, this year has knocked my confidence with her a bit......of course come April that may change once I get out in her again ;)

allandwf

I would see the Cities on foot, then maybe hire a classic for a run around Amalfi? Public transport, I have found, is good and reasonably priced.

Wack61

I agree about renting a car as youll see much more if youre mobile ,one of the reasons i didnt drive to milan from como is it was about £35 return for 3 adults on the train

Though the driving was so **** I was glad my hire car came with battle scars , I'd be too worried about the excess to rent anything nice
This was 3 months old , it had a scrape on every corner plus
20170919_180754.jpg

zagatoes30

I have taken both a GTV 6 and SZ to Italy and would concur that driving in the cities is madness but great in the open country

Wack61

It would be fantastic, 500 euro 3 days hire for a spider isn't too bad but the max 2500 euro excess which I assume means you pay to get it fixed up to 2500eu and no insurance for theft would be too much of a risk for me.

Though I took out a AXA policy which insured the cost of the excess through ryanair, they wanted 28eu a day at the desk to reduce the excess to 250eu so that might be worth looking into