Isolating the Battery - what to do when reconnecting?

hashluck

My GS is having the front seats removed to be refurbished soon and I will isolate the battery before disconnecting the wiring looms to them (and then reconnect the wiring before reconnecting the battery).

The battery will be isolated for about 5 days.

My question is on reconnecting I believe I should adopt the following procedure for recalibration:

a) Leave ignition on for 3 minutes
then
b) Start and let engine idle for 10 minutes

Is this correct?

Also, what will be lost having the battery isolated for so long?

i) Will I need the radio code?
ii) Seat memory settings?
iii) Will a seat reset be required?
iv) Radio presests?
v) Window reset required?

Anything else to consider?

Many thanks

voicey

My general procedure for all Ferrari/Maserati tipos is..

1) Connect the battery and then go and do something else for 20 mins. This allows the heater mix valve to calibrate.
2) Switch the ignition on (engine off) and wait for the throttle body to calibrate (you can hear it clicking) and for the heater flaps to stop moving (depends on the model). 1-2 mins is enough for this step.
3) Start the engine and let it idle for a while - this starts the fuel trim adaption and variator learning.
4) Whilst the engine is running the bits like windows, radio code, clock, seats, etc can be sorted. I would also check the EPB if fitted.
5) Switch engine off and lock/unlock to make sure all is working well and that the door handles are working (later cars).

Ewan

Crickey. I regularly disconnect the battery on my GS as it is often unused for months. All I do is connect it back up, start the car, and go. Simples. The only things that need doing are entering the radio code and (though I usually don't bother) resetting the clock. Being an MC-V means I don't have memory seats to worry about.

CatmanV2

TBH Ewan, I use the same technique to date. Pretty sure that there is good reason behind what Voicey suggest, hower :)

C

Robbe

With a Ferrari 355 the idling step takes up to the moment the oil cooler fan starts running.
Then it is certain that the idle mixture is not further enriched anymore, which otherwise could give biased parameters to the ECU.

Other thing is that it is advised not to use any accessory like heating/blowing/lights etc until the fan starts in this phase.

I do not know if the Maserati is just as sensitive, but it costs you like 5 minutes extra, so worth a try.