Lambda sensor fault?

Phil the Brit

2002 Maserati Coupe.
Engine light has come on, guessing lambda sensor due to lack of use of car.
I believe there are two sensors on car, a front and a rear. How do I know which has gone wrong please?

davy83

if you can read the error code i think it tells you which one has failed. its the only way as far as i know. You have a 2002 car so it will be ODBII compliant so a cheap code reader from e-bay will do the job.

allandwf

I get the knock sensor if left for a good while, ( 2 months.) Cleared after a good thrash! lol. Any cheap generic reader should tell you.

Zep

2002 Maserati Coupe.
Engine light has come on, guessing lambda sensor due to lack of use of car.
I believe there are two sensors on car, a front and a rear. How do I know which has gone wrong please?

There are 4 sensors, two front two rear. You will need to have the codes read to find out which one but as Allan says, time for an Italian tune up first.

Zep

Yes - but not like Basil Fawlty. The sensor might be sooted up or a bit of extra heat might improve things. You will still need a code reader to reset. If the light stays on it is probably getting a bit "slow". When the engine is running the sensor should from a rich to a lean signal in a faction of a second. If the cycle time gets too long it will bring on the CEL.

Phil the Brit

Engine light

Yes - but not like Basil Fawlty. The sensor might be sooted up or a bit of extra heat might improve things. You will still need a code reader to reset. If the light stays on it is probably getting a bit "slow". When the engine is running the sensor should from a rich to a lean signal in a faction of a second. If the cycle time gets too long it will bring on the CEL.

I took the car to Lancaster in Colchester and they did a reset. They found no current code faults, only some old ones stored in memory.
Light is therefore now out and stayed out on the way home.
Hopefully nothing is wrong, they just said to keep an eye on it.