Side window alignment and whine from steering

V8Smith

Hi Guys,

Had the Gran Cabrio a few months now and loving being back in the fold, Id forgotten just how great they sound :)

Found a few niggles Id like to rectify.

The first is a drivers side window that seems to be loose, so that it doesnt line up correctly so it bangs against the plastic that normally separates the front and rear side windows. It works fine and I'm sure its something easy to fix (hopefully), has anyone had this issue and how did you sort it?

The second is that when cold and from what I can remember its only when it first starts up, there is a little whine from the steering as I maneuver off the drive, then seems to go, or I cant hear it for the noise :thumb1: anyone know if this is normal or is this a sign something is wrong, low on fluid etc...?

Thanks in advance guys

Mike

spkennyuk

Power steering whine on start up is possibly low fluid or air in the system.

To bleed any air out turn the steering wheel from lock to lock 2 or 3 times with the engine running. Once you have done that turn the engine off and then check the power steering fluid level.

If its air in the system the top up pot will now contain the air that is getting into the sytem. Top up to the correct level and then start the car and bleed the system again. Check the level again and top up again if required.

If it still makes the noise on start up after that or you dont need to top up at all then it sounds like you have a slightly noisy power steering pump or your just hearing the noise as the system presurises.

TridentTested

Yes whine from the steering pump is often low fluid.

If this is corrected by topping-up, keep an eye on it because power steering systems shouldn't consume fluid, there will be a leak somewhere. Having said that, One of my Alfas which needed topping-up, drove on for years without it getting worse.

CatmanV2

I had a 155 that managed to make PAS fluid vanish. We eventually found out that one of the solid metal pipes had become porous and was literally weeping fluid. Very odd

C