NEW Website

midlifecrisis

I quite agree with the above statement, I thought the same when I was getting the Air conditioning sorted, the technician couldn't find on his database the right amount of gas required for the 4200, I had to carry out a search on here and even then it took some time. A wiki page, properly administrated would have all the specifications to hand such as air pressures tyres sizes down to correct oil etc. Even bits such as pattern parts could be contained. I'd happily collate this data and share it for the 4200.

montravia

Ok, all items noted, we are looking at Spring 2018 for launch, just need to find the £10k in development fees, donations welcomed!

10k development non- recurring. I presume, Matt, that sponsorship adverts cover currently running/hosting costs and would similarly do for the future site.

How many members do we have, active/dormant?

Membership/joining fee to offset, + donations.

Let's not kill the possibility off before we start

conaero

Forum Owner
I have always maintained that I would never charge membership to our site.

If I was to go back on that now, I would get quoted and fried alive!

What I could do is offer some sort of fellowship option where you can opt to pay 2 pound a month or something?

Mr.Cambio

I find it hard to post videos and pics. At least, i believe it could be easier.
As for the like button, it could be a plus, but most members here are keen on writing long texts, so i m afraid that the like button will potentially replace good text, resulting not good communication.
Just a thought though.

Corranga

Hi Mattt
I've mentioned it before but I'd like a 'go to the top of the page' button like Ebay has.
Thx and good luck with the new site.
Moz

Isn't that the Home button on your keyboard / the double tap top of page in iOS etc?

Corranga

What I could do is offer some sort of fellowship option where you can opt to pay 2 pound a month or something?

I'm a member of various forums across the internet, a few of which offer a 'supporters' package, which is a small amount, say £10-15 a year and has some useful options, but doesn't restrict any access for the free accounts.
Things like a bigger inbox for messages, or more storage for photos - so things that make the forum easier to use - rather than linking from flickr, or having to delete old photos to make space with the limited account - as I say, the aim is to provide an easier version of the free experience, but not by preventing free members from doing anything.
Some places tag the users as supporters too, on the left below the username, instead of Senior Member / Forum Owner / Moderator etc.

So, those who visit and use regularly would benefit the most from the 'premium' membership, but the experience and knowledge can all still be fully accessed everyone.

I've seen this expanded to include club discounts / access to supporters only area / access to classifieds BUT in my experience, only the former really works.
Classifieds just die away due to limiting those who can access them, and supporters only area just does what you are trying to avoid, and starts to move towards this becoming a subscription service. Club discounts can pay for themselves, but potentially involve you having to chase down retailers to get the discounts in the first place, which is another PITA, and perhaps not quite in keeping with the spirit of this place.

Finally, the option to remove ads, but then you don't want intrusive ads in the first place (I presume SM has ads? I use a blocker...)

Tiered membership may be the way to go. If it meant access to group buys, insurance and other discounts, I'd definitely be interested in signing up to a more structured entity. Depending on who has what useful expertise, donating a certain number of hours per month, could also be of value and lighten the administrative load.
I researched the platforms available to membership organisations several years ago and was convinced that there was a certain amount of business to be won, because the platforms available at the time, were quite weak. I tried to lead a self funded start-up to build and market such a product, but it never got traction.

Navcorr

Try taking the site down for a while and see what sort of response you get! :smile:
I imagine the majority of members have benefited hugely and saved a small fortune in the process. I can't imagine a yearly subscription would put too many off.

Tiered membership may be the way to go.
Sounds a bit golf-club-ish to me.
Is the goal to cover the development fees or .....

Try taking the site down for a while and see what sort of response you get! :smile:
I imagine the majority of members have benefited hugely and saved a small fortune in the process. I can't imagine a yearly subscription would put too many off.

Sounds a bit golf-club-ish to me.
Is the goal to cover the development fees or .....

Fair point. It's purely to allow individuals to choose what suits them best. Not to introduce a hierarchy where there doesn't need to be one. My favourite organisations are flat ones and I've very little time for pretentions.
I was literally just throwing an idea out there. Many websites work that way, by in effect, having a paywall around most or certain content / functionality.
Another way to go, is functionality / benefits open to all, which would maximise website traffic, which in turn you can then monetise easily.
I researched this subject exhaustively a few years ago, but I've since forgotten 95% of what I learned, plus the market has moved on / evolved.

Moz1000

Moz, if you can, do what I do and program a macro to one of your spare button on your mouse to take you to the top of the page, I also have another macro to take me back.

If you need help then let me know.

Thanks, but I'm using a tablet and no mouse, so I need an on-screen button.

Navcorr

Fair point. It's purely to allow individuals to choose what suits them best. Not to introduce a hierarchy where there doesn't need to be one. My favourite organisations are flat ones and I've very little time for pretentions.
I was literally just throwing an idea out there. Many websites work that way, by in effect, having a paywall around most or certain content / functionality.
Another way to go, is functionality / benefits open to all, which would maximise website traffic, which in turn you can then monetise easily.
I researched this subject exhaustively a few years ago, but I've since forgotten 95% of what I learned, plus the market has moved on / evolved.

Likewise, good points you make too. Most likely what Matt et al are looking for. Healthy discussion. One reason why imho the forum works as well as it does.