2008 Granturismo ABS MSP fault

Angus MacDonald

Hi, my 1st post is not a happy one. I bought my 2008 Maserati Granturismo in May as I have always thought it was the best looking car on the road but I have been disappointed by the soft ride and the poor interior finish. Now to add to my disappointment I have fault lights indicating ABS / MSP fault go to dealer. I have checked the forums and see that this appears to be a common fault but I have not seen any positive replies that indicate the cause of the fault.
I have checked all the obvious things, disconnected battery and checked ALL fuses none blown and no sign of overheating. The ABS sensors are consistent at 4.9MΩ – 5.1MΩ at the rear and 3.45MΩ – 3.47MΩ on the front.
I live in the North of Scotland so have limited access to MD or indi, although I need to get this repaired before winter and will have to travel if a good indi is recommended. I am desperate to LOVE THIS CAR but I am finding it a challenge the moment.

ABS sensor readings
OSF 5.1MΩ
NSF 4.9MΩ
OSR 3.45MΩ
NSR 3.47MΩ

Suspension sensor reading
OSF 3.35KΩ - 13.38kΩ =16.75KΩ
NSF 3.28kΩ – 13.29KΩ = 16.58kΩ

bigbob

Welcome. I love the soft ride on mine in normal mode. Have you tried driving it in sport? Firms things up a lot. Interior has been fine on mine it I have low expectations as a serial Maserati owner.

Can't help with the electronic faults other than to observe that these cars throw errors when the battery is weak. You could fully charge the battery, do a battery reset and drive a while and see if the errors go away? If not find a decent local auto electrician and start from there. Far easier than a drive to Edinburgh.

Angus MacDonald

Thanks Bob. I often drive it in sport manual just to stiffen it up a little. I have charged battery and done disconnect with no difference. Will contact local auto spark to see if his software can read the fault code.
There is a green envelope symbol showing but my basic OBD cannot read the fault.

montravia

It's the hub. I had this on mine. The accelerometers can fail, understandably in the harsh environment, and my front driver's side failed. New hub with sensors. Verdict was that the nearside had probably failed earlier and been replaced, being more exposed to harshness. Pop kt into a dealer

CatmanV2

It's the hub. I had this on mine. The accelerometers can fail, understandably in the harsh environment, and my front driver's side failed. New hub with sensors. Verdict was that the nearside had probably failed earlier and been replaced, being more exposed to harshness. Pop kt into a dealer

Almost certainly. Hub / ABS sensor failure. Might be worth trying a new battery first. Charging them doesn't always solve it.
If it's that soft, I have to wonder if you've got broken springs (which are pretty common) a failing damper and / or poor geometry / tyres.

Worth putting some effort in. Mine is really quite firm in sport.

C

voicey

Measuring the resistance isn't going to tell you much - the sensors are hall effect and need to be scoped to determine if they are working correctly. However, 5 minutes on an SD3 will soon reveal the problem...

Needamaser

Edinburgh is going to be closest with an SD3. Graypaul are MD and PK are indies.
Not sure if Phil at PK has an SD3 or an SD2 if which model is critical for analysis.

AaronE

on mine, I've had that fault for three reasons, each at different times:
1 - low battery
2 - bad wire between hub and connector (wheel speed sensor)
3 - seriously bad alignment

Angus MacDonald

thanks Aaron, I m hoping to get access to ramp to check wiring this wee. I'm confident the battery is fully charged so it looks like a trip the MD to get diagnostic and alignment check.

AaronE

np. ps, for the wire, you just need to take off the wheel and it's right there sticking out of the hub. and if your alignment was bad enough to throw that error, you'd know it (like your car goes in circles )

the SD3 will tell you immediately what's wrong.

Angus MacDonald

np. ps, for the wire, you just need to take off the wheel and it's right there sticking out of the hub. and if your alignment was bad enough to throw that error, you'd know it (like your car goes in circles )

the SD3 will tell you immediately what's wrong.

had the alignments checked today long with camber and caster all adjusted within tolerance. fault still present. I guess I will have to hand over my hard earned cash to main dealer, the only part of owning a Maserati I grudge.

I bought mine at about the same time as you bought yours Angus. Literally as the previous owner was driving off, on turning the key, my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. The car still had the original OEM battery fitted, but it turned out to only be working at around 50% efficiency, so I changed it for a new one of the same spec.
No more Christmas lights :)
I drive mine in normal mode 90% of the time because the local roads aren't fantastic and I find it corners like it's on rails. There's no pitching or rolling in corners that I can feel.
Hopefully once you sort out the issues you have currently, it'll all be plain sailing.....er....driving :)

Michael

Measuring the resistance isn't going to tell you much - the sensors are hall effect and need to be scoped to determine if they are working correctly. However, 5 minutes on an SD3 will soon reveal the problem...

Voicey,

Is there more than one ABS/Hub sensor? My car did the same as Angus' car on Saturday morning, whilst driving in sport. I played golf, came back, started it and it is fine. An ABS/Hub was replaced by Maranello August 2016 - less than 2k miles ago. So maybe it is a duff battery, wouldn't surprise me as the airbag is always coming on (even after the Italian reset) or is there is more than one sensor/hub that fails and throws the issue.

Persist Angus, they are the last of the NA front-engined V8's from Maranello... apart from the Cali. Are they don't seem to be getting any cheaper.

Cheers.

conaero

Forum Owner
Buy the hub bearing yourself, it will probably be one of the fronts. Plug in the new one, see if the lights go out. Try each wheel until it does.

Frankly if you don’t fancy tackling the relatively easy job yourself take it to any compitant garage and they will charge you 1-2hrs to replace it.

Angus MacDonald

Buy the hub bearing yourself, it will probably be one of the fronts. Plug in the new one, see if the lights go out. Try each wheel until it does.

Frankly if you don't fancy tackling the relatively easy job yourself take it to any compitant garage and they will charge you 1-2hrs to replace it.

That is a great idea. I'll order tonight from Eurospares. I'll let you know if it works. Hopefully save me a trip to Edinburgh and a costly diagnostics bill.

conaero

Forum Owner
Worst case if it’s not the hub you can either send it back or sell it on here, they go all the time and is the same part on all the Gt’s, 4200 and QPs aswell I think.

Michael

There's one on each wheel, Michael.....

C

Thanks, Catman and Voicey. Have just checked the invoice from Maranello and it was the L/H/R. Given the frequency that these fail and the common nature of the part 4200/QPV/GT I'm surprised that some clever engineer hasn't devised a method of refurbishing them etc.