Rear shock

Roger Bassett

Hi, does anyone out there know the procedure to remove the rear shock absorber on a Maserati 3200gt? I don't want to start removing it without a bit of info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davy83

Best get a copy of the workshop manual, there were some threads in here with forum members with digital copies of it. There are 3 operations you need to do. remove lower bush mounting which is fairly obvious and also usually hard to get off. nothing complicated there. At the top you need to remove the boot lining and work at arms length down the side of the fuel tank. first you remove the little Ferrari motor that drives the adjustable shocks, this is fiddly and expensive to take your time. If you have never seen the motor fitting then look at the front ones and try removing and refitting these as the ones in the rear are the same but completely out of sight, so you are working with feel only. There is a single spring clip which slides out of position that allows the motor to be removed. you can unplug the motor and put it some where safe. The top of the shock is held in place with 4 nuts accessible from the top again at arms length and out of sight, but generally easy enough to remove. refitting is a reverse of this procedure. Photo here of my rear shock after replacement. I cleaned up the springs and repainted, and cleaned up the rubber mounts top and bottom too.
rear shock.jpg

rs48635

I am quite proficient at this task on the QP.
Coil Spring compressor likely needed, to take the pressure off the bottom shock bolt.
Loosely attach Spring compressor.
Use trolley jack to compress Spring while still fully fitted, tighten Spring compressor as you raise jack.
This should allow the bottom bolt to come out easier once jack is released.

At least the QP top mount has bolts accessible from the wheel arch.
Still need origami fingers to disconnect the cable on the QP

NickP

I took my rear suspension apart and had springs painted etc, when attempting to replace I realised the top studs which fit to the body and the bottom bolt hole are out of line so I can't refit. I tried to turn the shock with it off the car to make things line up but it feels like its seized up solid.

Is it possible to fit the shock to the body and then stick a lever through the bottom bolt hole and try to turn it to align? Or do I need to recompress the coil and then do this?

I didn't think about realigning when rebuilding... doh

Edit - sorted by recompressing the springs...

Last edited:
Reactions: Zep

RSM Masser

Mine are still on the bench
Waiting a dry day and also need a new bottom bush - I’ve been trying to get one but it looks like Eurospares are the only option
Brembo, AS Motorsports and every other bush manufacturer I can find on tinterweb none can help.