Indoor covers? Are they worth it?

JonW

All

My Granturismo used to be my daily driver, but is now likely to become a weekend toy car, or possibly something which I, or my wife, might drive occasionally during the week.

When the car's not in use it will be inside the garage, hooked up to a trickle charger, and I'm wondering whether it would also be sensible to buy an indoor cover?

However, part of me is wondering if indoor covers are only really worth having if your car is out of use for weeks /months at a time? I'm also thinking having one might end up discouraging me to take the car out if it's a palaver to take off, and put it back on.

What do you all do?

D Walker

I had one, but, you have to make sure its spotless when you put it away and put it on, also, in winter unless you have a dehumidifier you will need to check for moisture under it, but it does obviously aid in keeping dust off,

allandwf

I wouldn't be without mine. I work away, and amazed at how much dust it picks up in three weeks. The car is black which doesn't help.

sospanbach

I have not a cover as such just some old soft sheets that just sit on the car, also put dehumidifier on every night amazing what that thing gets out the air every thing so far seems nice and dry

safrane

I use one on the GS as after a week or so its normally covered in dust and geit as the garage is drafty.

redsonnylee

Mine is garaged, I use the indoor cover most of the time only after washing/drying though.

I started using one after seeing all the dust so bought a nice custom cover. During the winter months it's on all the time.

keith

I have a Maserati own indoor cover, which is quite reasonably priced.
As has been said it can only be used after the car has been completely cleaned, and to answer your question, it is quite a business to put on and take off, so can be a bit of a deterrent to using the car. Particularly when you can't use the cover again until you have washed the car again.

rockits

I have an OEM indoor soft cover on the 4200. Garaged with trickle charger and Maeco Dehumidifier set at 55% RH. Recommend the cover 100%. You'll be amazed how much better it keeps it and keeps the dust off. I drop the windows a smidge to keep a bit of fresher air flowing.

GeoffCapes

Ive got one specifically for the winter months when the car will remain in the garage rather than be on icy roads.
Even if I leave mine in the garage for one night it's always covered in a bit of dust so I think it'll be worth it (even though I've not used it yet).
It goes in for paint in a week so will probably start using it then.

No brainer. My indoor cover is fitted and doesn't dissuade me from running the car out one little bit.
Two broken legs might, but even then, I'd have a good think about it ;)

iainw

Isn't it a hassle to take on and off?
The dust is a good point. Mine gets so dusty in the garage its unreal.

TridentTested

I have one on the motorbike, mainly to keep prying eyes off it in a shared garage but it does a good job of keeping the dust away too.

Don't underestimate the faff of removing it for a drive. If it is dusty your hands will also be dusty after removing it, if you have a tap and sink in the garage to give your hands a quick wash this might not be a problem. Otherwise you might not want to drive your pride and joy with dirty hands.

Contigo

Sponsor
Isn't it a hassle to take on and off?
The dust is a good point. Mine gets so dusty in the garage its unreal.

Hassle it takes about 20 seconds to put on and take off and literally keeps them shiny as you put them away!

iainw

I have one on the motorbike, mainly to keep prying eyes off it in a shared garage but it does a good job of keeping the dust away too.

Don't underestimate the faff of removing it for a drive. If it is dusty your hands will also be dusty after removing it, if you have a tap and sink in the garage to give your hands a quick wash this might not be a problem. Otherwise you might not want to drive your pride and joy with dirty hands.

This is what I was thinking. I want to minimise hassle. Until I got an electric garage - I used to leave my cars outside. I think If it was under a car cover I would be doing what Jeremy Clarkson said most mornings.

rockits

Mine takes about 30 seconds to get off/fold up & never do I not use the car because the covers on.

D Walker

Ive got one specifically for the winter months when the car will remain in the garage rather than be on icy roads.
Even if I leave mine in the garage for one night it's always covered in a bit of dust so I think it'll be worth it (even though I've not used it yet).
It goes in for paint in a week so will probably start using it then.

You'll want to wait until the paint has hardened off a little while, unless it's getting cooked!!

D Walker

This is what I was thinking. I want to minimise hassle. Until I got an electric garage - I used to leave my cars outside. I think If it was under a car cover I would be doing what Jeremy Clarkson said most mornings.

Get an electric deployable cover for a hassle stress free life, real world problems.....