Airport parking

midlifecrisis

Having worked at Airports for the past 15 years or so, I know that the piece of tarmac in front of the terminal makes more money than the bit behind. I know how important it is to the airport company and they do realise that if you price it wrong others will provide a viable alternative.
The same goes for valet parking. The idea is that you park almost in front of the terminal, collect your bags and go on holiday. You car is whisked off by a professional driver, maybe washed, cleaned and serviced, and it's right outside when you return. Perfect. We trialled that at Bournemouth, few people took it up, but many went for a cowboy operation who parked cars outside a pub!

Here's another bad example...

Luton Airport valet parking firm apologises for £70 fine - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-41345590

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

MrPea

I'm probably about to start asking you all for some advice.
I used a meet and greet for a recent holiday. My car came back severely scratched up. I'd taken photos at drop off so did as instructed by the driver who brought it back and emailed my complaint and evidence to the company. I also sent a subsequent email without all the photo attachments in case the first email bounced for size and the company responded to that saying all the photos had been received along with the first email and they have forwarded it the correct department to address ye complaint.
Two weeks later and after chasing several times I have still heard nothing. I'm rather at a loss what to do.

D Walker

I do hope it wasn't via the dodgy company at Luton, I've used Manchester meet n greet a few times, really good as your car gets a 360 video in a booth before you drop car off!
Doesn't help you I know!
I feel your pain, should maybe think about informing your insurance company as the other party will just continue to ignore you I feel.
Best of luck,
Dave

MrMickS

That's awful MrPea.

I'm glad my local airport isn't fancy enough to have such a thing. I just pay for the VIP parking, two minutes walk to the terminal, or get a lift. It does mean that I need to change at a hub airport for a lot of destinations but I can just factor it in to the travel time.

Scaf

Get a cab - meet and greet and airport parking can't be trusted.

Took a while and lots of threats to get the damage to my car sorted .......

They ignored all phone calls and letters, so I visited then at the airport, using the footage from the camera Imtracked down the car park and made a newsence of myself and in the end I tracked the company director down at his home address (companies house helped here). That spooked him into getting it sorted out, I even made sure they contacted the other car owner to make sure they had no damage.

https://youtu.be/6mskRuQ22DY

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I'm probably about to start asking you all for some advice.
I used a meet and greet for a recent holiday. My car came back severely scratched up. I'd taken photos at drop off so did as instructed by the driver who brought it back and emailed my complaint and evidence to the company. I also sent a subsequent email without all the photo attachments in case the first email bounced for size and the company responded to that saying all the photos had been received along with the first email and they have forwarded it the correct department to address ye complaint.
Two weeks later and after chasing several times I have still heard nothing. I'm rather at a loss what to do.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

spkennyuk

Follow up your 1st letter /email and give them 7 days to reply. Make it clear that if they fail to reply within the 7 days that you have no alternative but to start procedings against them for the damage caused while in their care.

Its also worth looking on their website to see if they have a complaints procedure. If they do. Follow their procedure exactly it puts you in a much stronger position if you have followed their published procedure and they fail to resolve the matter.

Spartacus

I'v got to book a week at Gatwick this Sunday ,Where s best on price etc. Im only taking the battle bus so im not too worried.

Wack61

Have a look to see if any of the hotels are offering a deal, some do a one night stay with parking, handy if you have an early flight

Slowly

Have a look to see if any of the hotels are offering a deal, some do a one night stay with parking, handy if you have an early flight

We used the hotel at T5 Heathrow when going to Rio and another time for Lima, both early flights - bed and car parking was competitive -vs- near off-site parking and you walk straight out of the hotel onto an escalator into departures. Some special cars in the underground car park when we left on a weekday, less so when we returned on a weekend.

Spartacus

In the end i just used the Long stay carpark .£65 for a week and you park it yourself and its still in the same place when you get back .

Contigo

Sponsor
I'v got to book a week at Gatwick this Sunday ,Where s best on price etc. Im only taking the battle bus so im not too worried.

Book a hotel like Sofitel as you can stay there the night before the flight and park for the week included in the price, it's a no brainer.

MrPea

Well I'm pleased to say that I've just been working on the panel the "valets" damaged most with my DA and some Meguire's 105 cutting compound, followed by some polish and sealant, and it appears that I've mostly hidden the offending scratches. They're still there just, but you have to look for them and then it strangely looks like a bit of overspray. I now just need a dry day at home to do the rest of the car (I want to properly detail all the paintwork anyway) and I think it'll be looking top-notch.