What's your favourite Maserati from the V6 Biturbo engine era?

Nayf

I loved the Ghibli II when I drove it for the mag, and can only imagine how good a Cup might be.
However after spending too long on AutoScout, I've got a bit of a lusting towards red Racings...

Andyk

Ghibli Cup for me....The first Maseratin I really just end after. I liked the Bi turbo cars back then but the Cup came alone and just had everything to make it so desirable. Used to look forward to Performance Car and then Evo magazine dropping through the door to see Harry's latest updates on his Cup.

Ewan

I found my Shamal to be better to drive and more comfortable than either of my Cup cars. Of the biturbo era, it would have to be a Shamal for me.

del mar

I always liked the "second generation" convertible - the ones that look a bit like a Ghibli, never been in one and they never get glowing reviews but I like the style.

The "best" car probably has to be a very late GT, they would have ironed out all of the problems by then even rustproofing ?

dickyb

I loved the Ghibli II when I drove it for the mag, and can only imagine how good a Cup might be.
However after spending too long on AutoScout, I've got a bit of a lusting towards red Racings...

The Biturbo Racing is my favourite too, they're absolutely mental and would give a Ghibli Cup a run for its money, in a straight line at least. Watch out for cars advertised as a Racing, sometimes they are not what they seem, I'm guessing you may be referring to this car:

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/...4383e04-51ad-46b7-b9f9-64b1240e446c?cldtidx=2

Although at first glance it looks like one, it isn't a genuine Racing, probably a case of mistaken identity by the dealer but its actually a second series 2.24v, which to be fair looks exactly the same apart from the engine and a few cosmetic and mechanical details. The interior is incorrect for a Racing, all Racings had full leather in grey or black and the trim on the dash, doors, centre console etc was usually grey rather than wood, a few cars were specified with wood trim but probably less than 10 out of 230 produced. Apart from looking at the interior the best way to identify a genuine Racing would be to look at the engine code on the chassis plate which should be AM490, and also to look at the passenger side camshaft cover which should have Racing written on it at the timing belt cover end, top right as you look at it from the side of the car.

Nayf

Ah, I see - still a beautiful thing that. If we're including the Shamal then obviously that's my favourite too.

Ewan and Dicky (+ others who've experienced them) - how does the Ghibli II Cup compare to the Shamal? On paper there's not a big difference in the figures.

G

Guest 1678

Khamsin - just perfect for me. Love the glass screen in the tail gate

0EA284F6-64C8-45A8-B014-07E47E3F56F3.jpg

35A9AB3A-363E-4BA4-97DE-4CB99CFB70E6.jpg

Ewan

Bora and Khamsin are both great, but are not from the bi-turbo era as per the original question posted! I wish I'd not sold my Khamsin a few years ago, and not only because since then it's gone from about £30k to £150k.

For me, the Shamal is nicer to drive than the Ghibli Cup, largely because the seat is better, as is the driving position in relation to the steering wheel and pedals. I always found the clutch action/position a little awkward in the Cup. As for performance, there's nothing in it really. Though the ground clearance on the Shamal is poor, so you tend to back off when driving spiritedly along an undulating country road as the centre exhaust section scrapes in the dips.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
250F for me. I would love to tool around in one. I was seriously tempted by Andy's replica a few years ago.

Contigo

Sponsor
Wait a minute I thought he said Biturbo era?

If we are going for the best ever made then it has to be either the 250F or the A6GCS.

Maserati-A6GCS-53-Pinin-Farina-Berlinetta-48321.jpg

GeoffCapes

For me the Maserati that got me into Maseratis is the Shamal.
I'd love an MC12 Corsa.
The best I've driven is my GTS MC Shift.

outrun

Thread drift......biturbo era cars chaps. If we're going to all ever made, I'm very happy with my Stradale but would love a Sebring.

outrun

Bora and Khamsin are both great, but are not from the bi-turbo era as per the original question posted! I wish I'd not sold my Khamsin a few years ago, and not only because since then it's gone from about £30k to £150k.

For me, the Shamal is nicer to drive than the Ghibli Cup, largely because the seat is better, as is the driving position in relation to the steering wheel and pedals. I always found the clutch action/position a little awkward in the Cup. As for performance, there's nothing in it really. Though the ground clearance on the Shamal is poor, so you tend to back off when driving spiritedly along an undulating country road as the centre exhaust section scrapes in the dips.

Ewan, did you sell your Khamsin to Paul Santoni? If so, I see it regularly and have been out in it a couple of times. It's very cool.

del mar

Though the ground clearance on the Shamal is poor, so you tend to back off when driving spiritedly along an undulating country road as the centre exhaust section scrapes in the dips.

Somebody had scrapped the bottom of the Cats on mine so the cover is peeled back like a sardine can.....