Weight Reduction INFO

Twinturbo

Could not find much info on the weights of aftermarket and OEM parts compatible or custom fit to replace stock parts
This thread is for those wanting to temporarily take out or exchange some parts for the odd track day to help improve power to weight and performance ect as this is the best way to improve it without compromising reliability IMO
Keen to add to this list with aftermaket parts like 2 peice Tarox brakes, wheel options ect
For 3200,4200 models
Please if interested I'd love to ad more parts from any 4200coupe or 3200gt ,validate the weight first
Everyone with a 3200gt or coupe post up your Oem parts and Oem wheel and aftermarket ones so people can reference the weights and even your thoughts how it felt after changing them would be appreciated thanks so we can all make choosing change easier and have some fun adjusting the cars without compromising reliability or safety.

All these weights are from an auto 2000 3200gt
although validated please give a .5kg variance to all weights to allow for Variance of my scale accuracy
heated electric seats 29.5kg x2 so 59kg total
rear mufflers 8kg x2 left and right 16kg total
space saver 15kg
oem battery 14.5kg
xpipe cat 4.5kg
boot tool cover 2.5kg
tool kit and service booklet 2.5kg
Dash top no vent 2.7kg
Passenger airbag and leather 3.1kg
Upper rear seat rest 9.5kg
Lower rear seat 5.5kg
Centre console not handbrake lever 2.5kg
Door cards 6kg x2 for left and right so 12kg total
Rear cards 1.3kg x2 so 2.6kg total
back rear shelf and carpets with mats (yet to be weighed)

Can anyone help me know the weight of the stock wheel and tyres for the 3200gt please?

With the crazy +55 offset of the 3200gt other wheels are hard to find but here are 2 I have
In hand

Wheels or aftermarket upgraded parts
BBS rear 19x10 -295/30/19 23.5kg
BBS front 19x8.5 -245/35/19 22.6kg

Bola B8R concave satin black (will weigh these soon)
18x8.5 front 245/35/18
18x9.5 rear 285/30/18

What I’ve reducted so far for those interested
With weights of parts attached FYI this isn’t even a gutted interior

Seats 29.5kg x2
Fully adjustable Race seats 11kg x2 -37kg
Spare wheel 17kg -17kg
Back shelf ,jack and tools -5kg
Interior mats 3kg -3kg
Rear Mufflers and tips 20kg
Straight replacements 3kg-16kg
Centre cat 5kg
X pipe 1kg -4kg
Battery 14.5kg
Braille 7kg -7.5kg
Wheel n tyres 96.8kg
Bola 18x9.5 285/30/18 21.5kg
18.8.5 245/35/18. 20.5kg 86kg -11.8
Total reduction to date
101.3kg

I’m working on a dedicated drag racing set of rims that will reduce ratio by 10% and rolling mass by another 10kg so I can get a respectable 1/4mile
Run for
The 3200gt

Also in the works custom intercooler setup
And Latini race pipes to be installed

Last edited:

CatmanV2

8kg for the door card seems a lot!

Certainly don't feel like that when removed. I'd say more like 2 but..

C

Twinturbo

8kg for the door card seems a lot!

Certainly don't feel like that when removed. I'd say more like 2 but..

C

The inner door cards including the whole handle and all are quite heavy I've done a lot of work with the window and changed interior I have a spare so I'll get onto the exact weight when I got time but if you think it's 2kg u must be one buff dude

Twinturbo

Look I know most on here just like to know oil changes ,problem trouble shooting and basic maintainance issues ect so if knowing the weights of parts is of no interest to anyone I'll just can the thread , I'm not on here to get shot down for trying to bring information to the community but I have a real passion for modifying cars and just want to have a page everyone can turn to to find out weights of parts that can be taken out and then put back after a track day or just generally upgrading to lighter parts to improve the car it's everyone's personal choice, I live next to a race track so It's an interest for me to show What our Maseratis can do to these local Aussie v8 cars I'm representing the marque .

CatmanV2

The inner door cards including the whole handle and all are quite heavy I've done a lot of work with the window and changed interior I have a spare so I'll get onto the exact weight when I got time but if you think it's 2kg u must be one buff dude

Flattery will get you everywhere ;)

C

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Look I know most on here just like to know oil changes ,problem trouble shooting and basic maintainance issues ect so if knowing the weights of parts is of no interest to anyone I'll just can the thread , I'm not on here to get shot down for trying to bring information to the community but I have a real passion for modifying cars and just want to have a page everyone can turn to to find out weights of parts that can be taken out and then put back after a track day or just generally upgrading to lighter parts to improve the car it's everyone's personal choice, I live next to a race track so It's an interest for me to show What our Maseratis can do to these local Aussie v8 cars I'm representing the marque ��.

It certainly would be interesting to know the weight of the interior trim parts for sure, and the weight of the car with the bare minimum, I guess really you would end up with the weight of the Trofeo 4200 race cars of the early 00's.

m1980k

I'm interested. I think it was mentioned on the other forum that Formula Dynamics had taken 60 or 70 pounds from a car just by removing some fixtures and fittings. But I've also heard the back seats, for example, weigh almost nothing because they're just foam. I think the reason most people don't go down the weight saving route is because these are GT cars and some of the heavy stuff contributes to the refinement they offer. I do sometimes think about trying to take 100kg out of my car with lighter seats, exhaust, battery... but then it starts to get expensive/compromised with things like a lightweight bonnet or replacing the fantastic seats in the GS, which I can sit in all day with total comfort.

midlifecrisis

It's amazing how heavy certain items are, I didn't realise how heavy the battery was till I googled it.

It would be interesting to know the weight of a GS seat compared to the fully electric 3200/4200 seat.

Twinturbo

Unlikely, but why not.
Always had a fascination of NOS, even before the Fast and the Furious!!
Would be an interesting conversation speaking to the car insurance company though.

Mj Fast and furious is a load of **** at the best of times but telling u from personal experience NOS hits like a sledgehammer!, the second the switch is hit u get all that whatever HP shot you set the foggers up for all instantly no lag at all it's like you dumped the clutch on redline type shove in the back it's addictive

For this car maybe not, but if there is interest to know the weights I'll keep at it just for curiousity sake if nothing else guys , I have managed to weight reduction my car 70kg so far and u can't even notice any of it
Unless u look hard and my custom race seats of course.

Wack61

Has it made any noticeable difference, in the real world my 4200 doesn't feel any different with a passenger in though I could save 40kg in 12 months without the use of a spanner if I had my mouth sewn up

CatmanV2

70kg is not a huge passenger. I don't really notice when I have one extra in the GT. Two, OTOH I can definitely notice.

C

midlifecrisis

Bruntingthorpe is a good indicator of power to weight ratio.

I had a huge FB in the passenger seat (I had to ask him to shift over so I could take the hand brake off!) and could only reach 130 on the straight, next lap 16 year old female Air cadet (Me!...the 13th duke of Wybourne) and 150mph! She must have weighed the same as the FB's leg...

rockits

Bruntingthorpe is a good indicator of power to weight ratio.

I had a huge FB in the passenger seat (I had to ask him to shift over so I could take the hand brake off!) and could only reach 130 on the straight, next lap 16 year old female Air cadet (Me!...the 13th duke of Wybourne) and 150mph! She must have weighed the same as the FB's leg...
LOL....Does FB mean what I think it's does?!

Twinturbo

LOL....Does FB mean what I think it's does?!

Haha, well my car has 70kg of less static weight which u feel but I can't tell so much as I did it in stages so hard for me to judge now compared to before doing it, power to weight it's like adding 8-10kw but I also reduced rotating weight from the heavy BBS wheels I had on by an extra 15 kg and 2% less diameter which u do really notice in steering response and acceleration but since I don't know the weight of the oem wheels I don't know if the ones I put on are lighter or not so I can't add that on to the total weight reduction till I go to a rubbish tip and weigh the whole car.