Quattroporte Buyers Advice

Dyer3200

Surely the Boler car is grigio grey not black ?
Not a fan of the leather interior much prefer alcantara

iainw

For a quick sale I'd pass my car on for the same price as the black one (£21995) as my other GTS arrives on Friday and I'd rather avoid the need to put my QP into long term storage over the winter. And unlike the black one, it was fully serviced last month and has only done about 2k miles on its full set of new tyres - so should need very little spend on it over the next couple of years.

That's a good price for a lovely car. Seriously unique

Bourekoue

Am I the only one who thinks that facelift QPV looks a lot better than pre-facelift? Just something about the front that is subtlety different but makes it look a lot better in my view.

Agree 100%.

Although we do seem to be in the minority on the forum.

Ewan

Agreed Eb. The wire grill looks the best. But in black as on the GTS, not chrome as on the Exec GT. Like this:

IMG_0069.jpg

I don't mind the front of the face-lift cars (though still prefer the original design). But it's the back of the later cars that I find unattractive. The bumper and valence is too heavy and bulky - it's just lost of the original elegance and fluidity. That said, there's no denying that the sound of the late 4.7 GTS cars is something special.

rockits

I think the chrome 4.2 QP Exec GT wire grill looks the best.
Eb
I'd agree with that & was part of what attracted me to my QP Exec GT.

The interest is quite nice IMHO & a really nice place to be.
6b56eaa74fbb99242cc1c2cedad131ef.jpg
678a46298fe718b22a657aeb4408e3ec.jpg
692b7a569aeda2fd82e33c563717f12b.jpg

Ebenezer

Lovely looking car....! I couldn't find Exec GT / blue / ivorio leather / red brake calipers for love nor little money when I was looking 3 years ago! Although personally I like ivorio leather with just the blue piping rather than with the additional blue inserts as well...
Just need to find me a grill! Would settle for a black one too...
Eb

SPX

I'm not going to post every car I'm interested in but any thoughts on this particular one, it's been on the market a while:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Mase...166089?hash=item33cc7e5f49:g:qqEAAOSw5cNYdae6

Looks a good proposition.

Having followed the market of QP's for the last year or so, it looks like any pre-facelifts are struggling over £20k, which is understandable when you see there are currently two facelifts (with sensible mileage) for sale at £18,999.

Throw into the mix the facelift GTS for sale at £27,940 as well and that looks to be setting a ceiling price for the QP V.

Ewan

Very rare to see a 4.7 GTS below £30k. Last three I've seen sold have all been around £35k, and the two others currently on Pistonheads are both up at about £38k. The ceiling price, if there is such as thing, is high thirties for a good low mileage QP V 4.7 GTS.

I've yet to see a nice 4.2 GTS sell for below £20k. There was a 100k mile example with a red interior that was advertised for less, but rightly so. I'd guess at a ceiling price of high twenties for a top quality low mileage 4.2 GTS.

Obviously things are somewhat different for non GTS versions. And there is definitely a price blur around the £20k mark, where both pre and post facelift cars are available.

SPX

Very rare to see a 4.7 GTS below £30k. Last three I've seen sold have all been around £35k, and the two others currently on Pistonheads are both up at about £38k. The ceiling price, if there is such as thing, is high thirties for a good low mileage QP V 4.7 GTS.
A black 4.7 GTS recently sold at under £30k, the goldy colour one (that still hasn't sold) is at £27,940. Those, any QP V, above £30k and higher are on sale for absolutely ages which is a direct result of the new model (and nowhere near as beautiful) hitting the thirties which is simply down to people generally always wanting "the new shape".
I've yet to see a nice 4.2 GTS sell for below £20k. There was a 100k mile example with a red interior that was advertised for less, but rightly so. I'd guess at a ceiling price of high twenties for a top quality low mileage 4.2 GTS.
And yet really nice ones, such as your absolute stunner that's in a rare colour with an even rarer interior, and the ultra low mileage one at Boler's are still up for sale at £21,995.
Obviously things are somewhat different for non GTS versions. And there is definitely a price blur around the £20k mark, where both pre and post facelift cars are available.
The biggest problem as I see it is that there are so few visual differences between the "standard" and the "GTS" facelifts outside of the wheels and the exhaust tips that, with a tiny pool of potential owners in the first place, most buyers won't justify throwing the best part of £8-10,000 or more on one.

And just to clarify, I love the QP V, genuinely the best looking saloon car ever made, I love its rarity, I love everything about them other than the (relatively) low power output but I see it all too often on this forum, dreamers getting emotional about the value of their cars and saying things like "it's got to be worth such and such" or "I'm not selling for any less than such and such" when it's not up to them, buyers dictate the market and if the owners don't like that they better get used to owning their car for a lot longer!

SPX

Just thought I'd add that I'm neutral when discussing QP V values as well; I'm not selling one or trying to buy one so I have no genuine interest stakes in the valuations.

rockits

I'd agree with much of this, however I think we need to allow more time with Masers in selling though. There is a small market for them we know but an even smaller market for the niche products.

Ewan's car will sell & would probably sell at its current price if long enough is waited. It is all about being patient. Many is this market will not want to pay the right or top money to buy a car. Many will however you just need to be patient. It will sell.

I guess the quandary and decision is if you want a quick sale often you have to sell cheap or cheaper. If you want to hold for what you feel is the right money you just have to wait. Also you have to balance if the waiting costs you any additional time or money such as advertising & how valuable is your time.

I find it is always more important to buy the right car at the right price initially to be able to sell easily or at the right price. If I can't get the car I want at the right price I walk away as I can't afford to be losing money on cars. I don't have enough money to have the luxury of doing this. I am sure I spend much more time buying cars than selling them which often can be the other way round for most.

The QP DS & all the more sporty models I have always found difficult as often the QP buyer wants luxury with a sporty edge/twist which the standard ZF car provides I think any ZF QP suits the car best. The GTS is the pinnacle for sure it is just how much more someone is prepared to pay for it over a lesser model. Maybe also some potential buyers have never driven a QP or maybe even a Maserati so have no idea of the difference.

Regardless of all opinions Ewan it is the right car and a lovely example. Either sell it cheaper/quicker, hold until it sells or my preferred option would be...... keep it!

I guess though if you haven't young kids the GT will suit you better than the QP so I can't understand the change.

Ewan

I'm only changing because I fancy a change. I've run a QP V as a daily for the last ten years, so it is about time!

My children are 12 and 7 so fit in a GTS as well as the QP. Though to be honest, when we travel as a family we are usually in one of the Range Rovers. As it's sunny today, we're going out to lunch in the old SL (our only convertible). It's pretty rarely that we use the back seats in the QP (and have never used those in the MC-V).

Quite happy to wait to sell the QP. As we've seen time and again, it can take a while. But at the same time I'm not fussed about every last Pound, so a sensible offer wouldn't be turned away.