Quattroporte Buyers Advice

rockits

Not on any models except only on the GTS I believe. They can be retro fitted as I did look at it. The was a guy that put Strad boxes with remote control on a QPV.

rockits

Oh thats a shame? Wonder why it wasn't a feature?
I guess as it is a QP rather than a Coupe model most buyers I imagine wanted something more restrained.

There are flaws in many of the valved systems though as some are not independent of sport suspension & also valves are closed below 3000 rpm only I think on the GS others anyway. Ideal system for me is to have controlled valved system you can have on/off fully independently.

rockits

When I originally decided I wanted a 4200 I wanted a facelift & had a virtual budget of upto 20k....I went a smidge over that!

When I originally decided I wanted a QP for some the reason I set myself a virtual budget of up to 20k...I went a smidge under that time.

Ewan

Great value, but has been for sale all year, so something must be putting buyers off. Obviously black with black isn't very exciting or practical, but it's smart when clean. Seems to be missing the usual GTS alcantara interior and the smoke grey alloys, so may be worth checking the rest of the spec. But if it turns out to be a proper GTS and passes the inspection, it could be a good buy at that price.

Ewan

Forgot to add, the GTS doesn't have a valved exhaust either. None of the pre-facelift QP's do. On the GTS the Sport button just changes the gearchange point.

Contigo

Sponsor
But the GTS has an unsilenced X so it is naturally louder than the exec/standard models.

paulstevens64

Hi Maserati Man,

I am going through exactly the same dilemma. Having listened to the knowledgeable people on this forum, it is a very hard call. The GTS (a real one, many are not) is the best model. I like you am torn between the best of the last Duo Select cars, and a good 57/08 ZF car.

The GTS you have seen has been around for a long time, yet is low miles and a cheap price. There is another GTS for sale near Beaconsfield (one of the regulars posted a link on another QP buying thread) This one is the same colour, with a black interior but with the suede/alcantara inserts. Hopefully the regular will post a link.

By the way Ewan's GTS is amazing, the best colour, and best interior, and looked after to the n'th degree.

Happy hunting

Ewan

For a quick sale I'd pass my car on for the same price as the black one (£21995) as my other GTS arrives on Friday and I'd rather avoid the need to put my QP into long term storage over the winter. And unlike the black one, it was fully serviced last month and has only done about 2k miles on its full set of new tyres - so should need very little spend on it over the next couple of years.

m1980k

I suspect that what puts me off the black GTS is what puts other people off. It really needs to be blue or silver so that you get the nice contrast with the other distinguishing features of the model: the darkened chrome trim and wheels. I would also really want alcantara inserts, although actually a lot of the cars didn't seem to be specified with that. At £22k though, both Ewan's car and that one are bargains - not much more than some non-GTS cars with the ZF auto.

Contigo

Sponsor
For a quick sale I'd pass my car on for the same price as the black one (£21995) as my other GTS arrives on Friday and I'd rather avoid the need to put my QP into long term storage over the winter. And unlike the black one, it was fully serviced last month and has only done about 2k miles on its full set of new tyres - so should need very little spend on it over the next couple of years.

Someone snap his ******* hand off!!!

granturismo

Am I the only one who thinks that facelift QPV looks a lot better than pre-facelift? Just something about the front that is subtlety different but makes it look a lot better in my view.

outrun

I like both actually, in equal measure. I had a very good long think about buying a facelift 4.2 auto recently when one came up for £18k. I didn't in the end as I just couldn't justify the running costs as a daily driver. I think that the ZF cars, facelift or not, are the ones to go for given the clutch replacement cost on the DS cars. I've driven both and preferred the auto shift which is just as capable of pushing on on a spirited drive but easier to live with day to day. I've also heard, from several people now that they improved after 2006/7 once Maserati had ironed out the early cars' issues and that this improvement continued throughout the model life. This would point me to a very late pre-facelift auto or any facelift as being the better cars and likely worth the modest sum over the early cars.