China's Great Wall eyes Fiat Chrysler bid

Groan +1.
If this happens, it'll kill my interest in Jeep stone dead.
Between asset stripping, technology and IP theft on an industrial scale,
their atrocious human rights record and continued occupation of Tibet,
as well as sticking it to UK Ltd at every opportunity, I have zero regard
for the Chinese government. Or, to be more exact, the PLA.

Andyk

Mike you have an interest in a jeep....Thats something you don't hear often....... 

conaero

Forum Owner
From the similar news story a couple of weeks ago it looks like the Italians are looking to sell off Chrysler and Fiat Group but retain Alfa and Maserati.

I think it's a smart move but would rather just see all the American sh!te sold off and put Fiat back to how it was before.

markp4200

I don't get bit.
Great Wall are known for SUVs so why add more. I would have thought it wasn't the greatest idea to get more competitors into the fold.
I remember British Leyland of the 1970s all too well; who had a stable of competing vehicles - Triumph 200, Rover 2000, Wolseley 18/85 and even the odd Jaguar to add to the mix.

conaero

Forum Owner
They are doing it so they can manufacture in Europe and US to get round import laws in their own country.

safrane

Who the f u c k buys GW cars except China and other third world countries. So buying Jeep etc they can sell to the US and Europe cars full of the mass produced parts from their China factories dressed up in a familiar package.

The cost to GW will be peanuts.

bigbob

Who drives a Geely? Don't care but they are doing a great job with Volvo. Looking at an XC90 to replace my Discovery 4 family wagon given how much JLR cocked up the replacement.

MrMickS

If a deal can be done that gets Alfa/Maserati independent and passes most of the debt onto FCA then it would be a good things for Maserati. It would remove that spectre of debt and help accelerate new model development. It seems like a good thing to me.

conaero

Forum Owner
Who drives a Geely? Don't care but they are doing a great job with Volvo. Looking at an XC90 to replace my Discovery 4 family wagon given how much JLR cocked up the replacement.

Yes I saw that, what's all the rear overhang about looks all very odd.

Andyk

I think it's a smart move but would rather just see all the American sh!te sold off and put Fiat back to how it was before.

How it was before Matt.....What unreliable and shocking build quality........Sorry couldn't resist that one......Agree though, those awful Chrysler engines they used in Alfas ...Lost all the passion and flare that Alfa engines had. That was the one part that made Alfa special. It was always the heart of the car me if the body was just there to house the engine. They lost their identity. At least Ferrari had a hand in the engine for there flag ship saloon.

P R

We have been told by Marchionne (and other Auto CEOs) that its all about economies of scale, so how does that fit in with a new group potentially consisting of Alfa and Maserati only?
PS what Chrylser engines were used in Alfas?

Andyk

Berra had the American lumps I believe ... V6 for sure but sure someone can confirm. Thought most of that era had American based engines but maybe wrong.

safrane

I hope to be proved wrong...but if Maaerati and Alfa are left we will see lots more platform sharing...I hope Maserati are not to become rebadged Alfas with posher trim... rather like BL in the 90s.

MrMickS

I hope to be proved wrong...but if Maaerati and Alfa are left we will see lots more platform sharing...I hope Maserati are not to become rebadged Alfas with posher trim... rather like BL in the 90s.

I'd be hoping for an Audi/Porsche type relationship. Some shared technology, and underlying platform where it makes sense, but enough to distinguish between them.

P R

Berra had the American lumps I believe ... V6 for sure but sure someone can confirm. Thought most of that era had American based engines but maybe wrong.

The 3.2V6 in the Brera/Spider/159, and the 2.2 JTS in those were GM derived blocks. It was pre Chrysler tie up though

GeoffCapes

Car manufacturers being sold to Asian companies isn't all bad. Look at JLR.

The groans when Tata bought JLR were so audible the noise was deafening!

At least they will cut manufacturing costs, which is where most money is lost. That can then be spent on making decent cars.