Qp with a knocking engine , write off ?

Wack61

I haven't given up on the idea of owning a QP so still regularly browse the adverts

On eBay I spotted a 06 car in grey that looks mint apart from the engine is knocking apparently due to oil pump failure

He's asking 7k for it but it got me thinking , what's it really worth, an engine rebuild would probably cost the same in parts as a good used engine if not more

5k seems to be the asking price of a 4.2 on eBay but sold items = none so I'd think that very negotiable , so say £3500 , £10,500 for a broken car and an engine on a pallet

So what's the qp worth, £4,000 , it'd still be 10k + fixed never driven though it is running so i suppose you could sacrifice the engine to see if the rest of it works

No intention of buying it just wondering what SM thinks

Contigo

Sponsor
I'd run personally, I reckon it's worth about £3k max with a knocking engine. That's one expensive fix too not only parts but labour costs. Phil did his but had the luxury of free labour.

conaero

Forum Owner
I have a broken 4200 engine in my shed that suffered oil pump failure at 30k miles.

I never heard it run but I imagine it would have knocked like h3ll.

Taking it apart, the crank was grooved to **** so I would think you have to cater for a new engine rather than a repair as the crank will be mega bucks.

You could get a good used engine for £2.5k, add another grand for fitting and issues then add another £3k for agro factor and I would say your about there.

So working backwards, you want to get minimum £6k off what it would retail at or its just not worth the bother and do as Capes says and buy one that works.

Wack61

I've been there with an XK8 but parts for jags are everywhere so dirt cheap, I've no intention of buying it, just wondered what it was worth, MOT history is very good so it looks like the owner was just unlucky

I know a 4.7 has been put into a 4.2 car so if you had an engine and it was cheap enough it could be worth it but at 7k he's got no chance

There's some right dogs being offered at top money, like the 23,000 mile car that's been figure of 8 racing on the north circular!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Mase...020211?hash=item238bb91df3:g:Cc4AAOSwT5xZTHmw

Why spend 10k on fixing a QP when you can buy one that works for that?

For how long though :D

philw696

I would do again if it was a car I wanted but as Phil stated its easier for me.
Horses for courses as I pay people to repair maintain the property.
Stick with what you know and you won't get your fingers burned.

Gp79

Think most Maserati of this era will have corrosion problems if used through the year untreated.

Radio 1 tuned in is a good warning sigh as well!