Re-Spray costs

GeoffCapes

Having been a bit over enthusiastic with the jet washer after Le Mans in trying to get ride of some bugs off of the front of the car I managed to peel off a section of lacquer (well done me!).
I have also picked up a couple of car park scratches on the rear 3/4 and have some road rash on the lower sills on both sides and in the usual places.

What sort of price should I be looking at to get this done?

I'm going to take it to a friend who is apparently a very good car sprayer and a couple of other places, but I'd like to know ball park before committing.

Normally I would be loathed to take it to someone I know due to the fact that it can be difficult afterwards if it is not completely 100% how I want it.
I much prefer having a go at people I don't know.

conaero

Forum Owner
Its a big car so expect a higher price.

Rather than spray the whole thing would it not be better to localise and blend?

A good painter will do a fantastic job.

At a guess, I would say for a full respray, if you can get it done for £3k cash your doing well. Double that for a quality shop through the books and trebble it for main dealer.

You then have to cater for taking the glass out, which inevitably could result in some broken bits and with a windscreen being circa £3k you could be in for a hefty bill.

Localise paint I say.

My painter will do a front end respray for about £6~800 cash then add in the rear quarter then your looking at £800~1k cash.

If he's quiet, then £2.5k cash for a full respray and I would recommend masking rather than removing the glass. I can ask if you want me to?

GeoffCapes

Its a big car so expect a higher price.

Rather than spray the whole thing would it not be better to localise and blend?

A good painter will do a fantastic job.

At a guess, I would say for a full respray, if you can get it done for £3k cash your doing well. Double that for a quality shop through the books and trebble it for main dealer.

You then have to cater for taking the glass out, which inevitably could result in some broken bits and with a windscreen being circa £3k you could be in for a hefty bill.

Localise paint I say.

My painter will do a front end respray for about £6~800 cash then add in the rear quarter then your looking at £800~1k cash.

If he's quiet, then £2.5k cash for a full respray and I would recommend masking rather than removing the glass. I can ask if you want me to?

Yes please.

outrun

The screen is "only" £2,200. Bargain !

I'd agree with Matt, full glass out is a major job with lots of potential issues. Localised paint would be far more straightforward and a good painter should be able to do this very well.

bigbob

I've found these cars to be very jet wash sensitive especially round the sills. If you are having a respray I would suggest nose film afterwards. I had mine done when it was new and it is still great now...just wish I had the bonnet done as well.

D Walker

Not sure if it's relevant but I had read somewhere about detailing "soft" paint, ie, not too!!

namaste

You don't want to be putting wax or sealant on a new paint job, need to let it breath. As for the rest of the detailing, if they're charging you the same, they'll have a big smile on their face with that fresh lacquer finish. Next to no correction needed and a nice soft surface to polish. Will take a fraction of the time to complete. Thats if we're talking a full respray.

Ebenezer

Matt
I'd be interested too. Got lacquer coming off the bonnet and wheel arch. Chips and Rash in the usual places and scratches the doors and bonnet. Not in hurry so happy to wait until he's really really quiet!
Thanks
Eb

conaero

Forum Owner
Spoken to Phil, they are not busy at the moment so he can take the cars whenever your ready.

GranTurismo and QP:

Price for glass in, bumpers and trim is £2,500 cash, 2-3 weeks turnaround

Front end respray (bumper, bonnet, wing tops and mirrors) £800 cash inc bumper off, 1 week turnaround

£200 extra for the rear quarter at the same time

PM me if interested and I will forward you his details.

The bodyshop is at the bottom of the A3 in Waterlooville.

Oh, and before you ask, no, I dont get a kickback or have any commercial benefits, he's a mate who I try and help out by putting work his way.

conaero

Forum Owner
Might need the whole car except the roof and boot / rear tbh...
Eb

Phil will advise when you see him, but you would need to boot doing, it would be false economy to not do it and risk an anything less than perfect match. The roof is up to you.

If you work on £200 a panel adding or deleting from the full £2500 respray price then you can get your price.

Phil only uses high end lacquers, I believe its £400 a gallon which is enough to do 2 cars.

If you want a receipt, add 20% VAT on top of these prices.

GeoffCapes

Spoken to Phil, they are not busy at the moment so he can take the cars whenever your ready.

GranTurismo and QP:

Price for glass in, bumpers and trim is £2,500 cash, 2-3 weeks turnaround

Front end respray (bumper, bonnet, wing tops and mirrors) £800 cash inc bumper off, 1 week turnaround

£200 extra for the rear quarter at the same time

PM me if interested and I will forward you his details.

The bodyshop is at the bottom of the A3 in Waterlooville.

Oh, and before you ask, no, I dont get a kickback or have any commercial benefits, he's a mate who I try and help out by putting work his way.

That sounds very good. Can you PM his details please mate.

conaero

Forum Owner
Details texted, Phils at home today as its one of the kids birthdays I believe, so I would text him, just mention me and the forum Mark.

You need to get him to check the colour, I assume its a metallic as this is what has been priced. If its a 2 stage base/pearl, it will cost more but I dont think yours is.

When he paints it, ask him to put extra mica in the paint, it really makes it pop, here is what he did for me:

IMG_3666.jpg

GeoffCapes

I'm seeing my mate this afternoon (hopefully) for him to price it up, and will text Phil a bit later.

CLRut

Not a GT, but I was quoted £5k for a complete respray of a TVR Tuscan in a non-usual colour; not cheap, but part of the challenge with that car is the small number of discrete panels which means there are few alternatives.

If you are having a re-spray, a detailer of repute would likely recommend a self-healing paint protection film like Lumar as you would have no current imperfections on the paint presently and should seal this quality in. Worth considering but not cheap at £1.5k+.

If you are having a respray, also be aware that the original paint on the GT could well have been good/excellent thickness. Mine was well over 160 microns across the whole car, and you should be seeking at least a like for like (if that's relevant in the re-spray world!!?).