Talk me out of a R8 V10

JonW

As I been looking at caymans recently to replace my sold 4200 . I really like the look of the new gt4 Cayman very nice not to sure of cost as my budget doesn't stretch that far . I shall now go and shoot my self in the face . Start around 80k 4.4 0 to 60 184 top speed
View attachment 44981

The current GT4 Cayman is an amazing piece of kit... if I didn't need four seats, that's very close to the top of the list for what I would be driving...

safrane

I guess for more and more members, with nothing new coming on the scene from Maserati they are going to look else where.

rockits

I've not driven an R8 but had a TT 3.2 V6 Quarto S-tronic & didn't like it. I knom the R8 is a different league but it is still an Audi. To much money for something not special enough. If coming from another marque maybe you would get away with it but coming from a Maser I'm not so sure.

Would need to be AM, Ferrari, Lambo for me. An Aston V12 Vantage S would be just fine and dandy with me.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I've not driven an R8 but had a TT 3.2 V6 Quarto S-tronic & didn't like it. I knom the R8 is a different league but it is still an Audi. To much money for something not special enough. If coming from another marque maybe you would get away with it but coming from a Maser I'm not so sure.

Would need to be AM, Ferrari, Lambo for me. An Aston V12 Vantage S would be just fine and dandy with me.

Before I bought the Maser, nearly bought a V10 BMW M6, then I realised it was too like sitting in my daily 3 series!

iainw

I guess for more and more members, with nothing new coming on the scene from Maserati they are going to look else where.

Thats the issue Peter. I loved the GTs, but there is no where to go from there really within the marque. The Strad is amazing but didn't have the point of difference I desired. The only other choices are significantly older tech although very cool (GS) and cars that don't feel like they are made by the same manufacturer. Bring on the alfieri.
All ferrari main dealers have told me their average ownership is 6-9 months and they rotate throughout the range. Maserati would have done better to make the ghibli smaller, lighter and more powerful for its top end saloon and compete with the alfa QV.

I can't get over how big the Ghibli feels. It feels like driving an aircraft carrier compared to a 3 series. It may be in my imagination but it feels much bigger.

m1980k

A 2013 R8 V10 plus starts at £75k now. It might be less 'special' than some of the Italians but it is also far cheaper. This is the model to go for - mag dampers on other models are problematic and if you get the DCT gearbox it's much better than previous versions. Nothing for the money can touch it IMO.

Rwc13

I can't get over how big the Ghibli feels. It feels like driving an aircraft carrier compared to a 3 series. It may be in my imagination but it feels much bigger.[/QUOTE]

It is much bigger than a 3 series........because it's the size of 5 series

Contigo

Sponsor
Drove the R8 V8 when it first came out and was very underwhelmed, using the same lump as the B7 RS4 it felt really underpowered for a car with those looks and when I jumped out of the test drive back into my RS4 it felt twice as quick thanks to the forced induction. The V10 on the other hand is a totally different proposition but they are a little too steep right now, plus models way higher. A mate has the Plus with Larini's and it is as loud as the GTS (130dB).

conaero

Forum Owner
Drove the R8 V8 when it first came out and was very underwhelmed, using the same lump as the B7 RS4 it felt really underpowered for a car with those looks and when I jumped out of the test drive back into my RS4 it felt twice as quick thanks to the forced induction. The V10 on the other hand is a totally different proposition but they are a little too steep right now, plus models way higher. A mate has the Plus with Larini's and it is as loud as the GTS (130dB).

Agreed. Also drove the V8's when it first came out round Dubai GP circuit. It was nice, not amazing. There were also TTs's so had a go in them too and preferred it as it was better balanced and more chuckable. Slower obviously though but not much.

Did consider a R8 Plus about a year ago but they were all over £100k and I knew I'd get so much abuse from you lot :)

So I went for a Strad as a stop gap whilst we await Maserati to pull their fingers out their arses!

And yes, members deserting the brand I can't really blame as Maserati are producing nothing new to appeal to members.

Ewan

The one thing that has always stopped me buying a Gallardo is the horrid Audi central dashboard bit with air-con controls. All very A3/4/5 etc. But if my budget was £75k plus, and the choice was simply between an R8 or Gallardo, it'd have to be the Lamborghini.

Contigo

Sponsor
Speaking to the Maserati brand ambassador yesterday he said that Maserati would go "exclusively" electric in the next 10 years :(

He said he will be hoping to drive for the Maserati Formula E team when announced.

That's it, the company we have known and loved for building thoroughbred race cars are gone.

vanman1936

Well my budget is "up to" £75k so new(er) Ferraris, lambos etc are off the list.

Don't get me wrong, I am not 100% moving on as I do really love the MC - I just change my cars regularly and often mulling over the choices. Must admit a Lambo at this price point does sound interesting.

iainw

I can't get over how big the Ghibli feels. It feels like driving an aircraft carrier compared to a 3 series. It may be in my imagination but it feels much bigger.

It is much bigger than a 3 series........because it's the size of 5 series[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying that! Makes more sense now. Too big for me. So the QP is a 7 series size?
They would do better to make a 3 series/ Guilia competitor as a saloon rather than two big wallowy cars.

iainw

The one thing that has always stopped me buying a Gallardo is the horrid Audi central dashboard bit with air-con controls. All very A3/4/5 etc. But if my budget was £75k plus, and the choice was simply between an R8 or Gallardo, it'd have to be the Lamborghini.

Would totally agree with that. Are there any lambo owners who can comment on the interior feel or build quality.
The lambos all look so old tech on the interior.

iainw

Well my budget is "up to" £75k so new(er) Ferraris, lambos etc are off the list.

Don't get me wrong, I am not 100% moving on as I do really love the MC - I just change my cars regularly and often mulling over the choices. Must admit a Lambo at this price point does sound interesting.

Your thought process seems to be totally logical to most men. Even if we know the GTs is fantastic vfm, we still want a change. Just make sure you take your man maths calculator with you and not your wife. You will find yourself in the car you want then- but will end up spending 30k more :).

Plenty of older gallardos can be had for around 75. Just ask advice from owners re: maintenance costs.
I would have thought they would end up costing similar over 3 years to 100k newer models.

bigbob

Don't see what's wrong with a V10 R8. Yep it has the same seats, steering wheel, stalks and nav as a mark II TT but then a 911 has the same from a Cayman. On here we say we are not interested in tech on our Maseratis' but as soon as someone wants to jump ship we criticise the same on the new car. Get it bought.

iainw

Don't see what's wrong with a V10 R8. Yep it has the same seats, steering wheel, stalks and nav as a mark II TT but then a 911 has the same from a Cayman. On here we say we are not interested in tech on our Maseratis' but as soon as someone wants to jump ship we criticise the same on the new car. Get it bought.

The tech is great on a V10 Audi. The tech would be a reason to buy it!
Public perception, soul and point of difference is the reason to go italian.