Daily driver BMW engine just let go...

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Lovely, a nice 'pop' from the engine driving up the M1 just after Milton Keynes. I suspect the rear timing chain has snapped.
Google it appears the N47 2 liter diesel weakest link.
It's probably written off the car, being nearly 7 years old and 127K miles.
Not happy with the RAC, not home yet after breaking down around 3pm, and on the third recovery truck after being towed off the motorway!

jluis

Probably too late for comfort but there is an active recall in a lot of those engines due to timing chain defects.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Probably too late for comfort but there is an active recall in a lot of those engines due to timing chain defects.

Interesting, although we have never received a recall, and now 4 years out of warranty.
Fortunately for me it's a company vehicle and my employer buys the cars doesn't lease.
Might actually get a new(er) one!

Ryandoc

There was a recall thinly disguised as an 'enhancement' a couple years ago, the chains stretch and jump the teeth. I had both chains replaced FOC despite being on over 150k then they shut the freebies down. I had the official internal BMW document at one point.

It's either that or a swirl flap but then the N47 was beefed up over the M47 so more rare

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
My old M47 will be through 280k tomorrow. Touring mpg over 3600 miles around Europe over the last few weeks averaged 57 and it didn't use any oil at all. I guess I might have got a good one!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
My old M47 will be through 280k tomorrow. Touring mpg over 3600 miles around Europe over the last few weeks averaged 57 and it didn't use any oil at all. I guess I might have got a good one!

Sounds like it.
Home at last, 8 hours after being initially dragged off the hard shoulder.
Not what I expected from the Royal Automobile Club....might as well have been with Green Flag!!

Wack61

School holidays, a bad time to break down , when my coil pack gave up on the 4200 the AA were with me in 30 minutes , diagnosed which one , couldn't get one , disconnected the electrics from it then followed me 40 minutes to the garage.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Is Green Fiag bad then I have Euro cover with them.

Probably not. Just thinking back to when I started driving and you where either with the RAC or AA with the budget option being Green Flag, that at the time, offered an independent relay service, which I got yesterday!

Ryandoc

Think servicing driving style and a dose of luck all plays a part. Certainly not a 100% failure rate that's for sure. Inwhipped the inlet manifold off mine on 100k was a little dirty but all solid and on 225k now and running great

highlander

In July when marci's gearbox went it took the AA over 12 hours to get a hire car to us and pick her up so feel for you hanging about for so long. I complained and got £100, in the grand scheme of things not much but better than nothing.

Ryandoc

My AA is £21 a month thinking of cancelling it. In 20 years of driving only needed a pick up twice and one of those was local anyway

Gp79

20,000 mile oil changes definitely false economy!

Normally 2nd owner gets this out of warranty.

Wack61

My AA is £21 a month thinking of cancelling it. In 20 years of driving only needed a pick up twice and one of those was local anyway

You know what will happen if you cancel it , at the end of last year I was looking at the dogs insurance , £1000 a year for both of them but decided to stick with it , so far this year one of them has needed 2 operations at a cost of £2500

Go through Quidco for AA and RAC , my AA cover was £258 for the year for my wife and I in any vehicle excluding home start but including a £500 warranty on the 4200, cashback paid was £121

2015 I went with the rac for £160, cashback was £82

I swap between them each year

conaero

Forum Owner
I have AA free with my bank but I do pay about £100 for GF overseas repatriation cover.

Ryandoc

You know what will happen if you cancel it

I know Sod's law and all that, I'm going to cancel my British gas homecare as well, £250 for a service and some peace of mind, same thing in 18 years of home ownership I've probably had to repair a boiler 2-3 times. Just looked at it and thought £500 a year just for boiler and breakdown cover it's too much

alfatwo

Lovely, a nice 'pop' from the engine driving up the M1 just after Milton Keynes. I suspect the rear timing chain has snapped.
Google it appears the N47 2 liter diesel weakest link.
It's probably written off the car, being nearly 7 years old and 127K miles.
Not happy with the RAC, not home yet after breaking down around 3pm, and on the third recovery truck after being towed off the motorway!

You had a good run Mike you can't really complain..

Dave

midlifecrisis

I know Sod's law and all that, I'm going to cancel my British gas homecare as well, £250 for a service and some peace of mind, same thing in 18 years of home ownership I've probably had to repair a boiler 2-3 times. Just looked at it and thought £500 a year just for boiler and breakdown cover it's too much
That's my view of all these insurances, you're basically placing a bet that something will break over the year. If something breaks, you win a free repair. If nothing breaks, you lose your money...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk