QP D/S Review

ChrisQP09

For the most part I agree, but I believe that the styling and the engine are sublime with only little improvements needed.

[video=youtube;3QAHK1Uy9ao]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QAHK1Uy9ao[/video]

WLJayne

Ooooh I've been waiting for him to give the DDM treatment to a QPV for ages! This should be be good; or really really bad!

EDIT: Yep, pretty much what I expected. So basically with the ZF transmission and an Android tablet infotainment conversion, what you're left with is a few oddly placed buttons. I think he's in a minority about the looks though, a lot of petrol heads see the QPV as one of the best looking four door saloons ever designed, from what I've seen. I certainly think so.

ChrisQP09

Ooooh I've been waiting for him to give the DDM treatment to a QPV for ages! This should be be good; or really really bad!

EDIT: Yep, pretty much what I expected. So basically with the ZF transmission and an Android tablet infotainment conversion, what you're left with is a few oddly placed buttons. I think he's in a minority about the looks though, a lot of petrol heads see the QPV as one of the best looking four door saloons ever designed, from what I've seen. I certainly think so.

I love this automotive style of journalism too, but his opinion on looks and sound are def in the minority.

FIFTY

I like Doug de mouro I have been a sub for quite a long time but I don't agree with his comments on the styling I think it's aging pretty well. In fact I'll go as far as saying they look better today than when they were new! Maybe it's different on American roads with their massive lumps of domestic cars

safrane

He's American therefore a knob.

The next US produced car that I enjoy driving or sitting in will be the first... made from Mc Donalds cartons and for fat people.

I'll take Italian quirks anyday over yank trash.

bigbob

He's American therefore a knob.

The next US produced car that I enjoy driving or sitting in will be the first... made from Mc Donalds cartons and for fat people.

I'll take Italian quirks anyday over yank trash.

LOL. Is that another 1 1/2 bottles of Italian wine in the mix? Having driven a Chevrolet Equinox on holiday recently in Canada I share some of your thoughts........

PS I can't watch the video as I endured his Ghibli one a while back and I can't cope with how he pronounces MASeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerati.

MrMickS

Meh. I've seen a couple of his videos and conclude that he's the American Idiot that Green Day don't want to be. American car reviews are always suspect anyway given the kind of things they drive.

BL330

I happened to see a Top Gear re-run today where they took the QP, Aston Rapide & Porsche Pana something or other to the business park for hot laps.
The sound, the looks, the performance overcame the quirks.
I can't stand reviewers who cr@p on about the info system foibles as if that's important.
How about performance, handling & styling? But maybe the great unwashed don't drive their cars properly and don't ever aspire too.

Ewan

Infotainment doesn't enter my head. Hence I'm on my 18th Maserati. In fact, a couple of my other cars don't have a working hi-if/radio of any description. And on the rare occasion I need sat-nav I have an iPhone.

GeoffCapes

He also cocked up on the fact that the cruise control is also on the indicator stalk. Bell end.

Who needs a sunroof when you have air con?

I wonder how many autos in 2005 had a smooth gear change? The 2005 Merc E class I had certainly didn't.

That was the first and last time I've watched one of his videos.

keith

He also cocked up on the fact that the cruise control is also on the indicator stalk. Bell end.

Who needs a sunroof when you have air con?

I wonder how many autos in 2005 had a smooth gear change? The 2005 Merc E class I had certainly didn't.

That was the first and last time I've watched one of his videos.

In fairness there is a massive difference between a automated manual gearbox and a typical torque converter automatic.

WLJayne

His whole thing is that he sh1ts on exotic cars, and people love it. His videos on his own Aston, Defender and Range Rover are pretty much just as vicious. He's like the games reviewer Ben Crosshaw who does Zero Puntuation, he take really huge dumps on the games but in an entertaining way. DDM is not quite as entertaining but his format is similar.

His slip up on the cruise control is a bit daft, but the reaction of people seeing him drive it should really have clued him in that he was dead wrong on the looks and cool factor. There's a good reason why Clarkson, Hammond and May pretty much fought each other to drive the QP on the four door supercars episode of TG.

Wasn't the car used in the Top Gear shoot a face-lifted GTS or similar? It looked a lot more attractive than the version Doug reviewed.

MrMickS

I happened to see a Top Gear re-run today where they took the QP, Aston Rapide & Porsche Pana something or other to the business park for hot laps.
The sound, the looks, the performance overcame the quirks.
I can't stand reviewers who cr@p on about the info system foibles as if that's important.
How about performance, handling & styling? But maybe the great unwashed don't drive their cars properly and don't ever aspire too.

Exactly. I saw his review of the Ghibli and it was basically saying it doesn't have this, that, or the other driver aid and some of the switches comes from the FCA parts bin. If you are buying an Italian car for the infotainment system or driver aids you are buying for the wrong reasons. As long as the infotainment can play the radio and the nav gets me roughly where I need to be that's fine. The driver aids I don't care for. I buy cars to drive.

gt86driver

Iv Been subbed to DDB for quite some time now I like his quirky comments kinda like savage geese but less mature..

Thanks to him now I noticed my 4200 beep's on reverse

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

safrane

I suspect the beeps are a US requirement as they seem to have warnings for everything due to possible litigation...keys in ignition
Release inside the boot
door open
etc etc