Front Passenger window anti trap fault? QP V

IanU

Hi all,
Issue #3 on my list. I've had a trawl on here and found a couple of what seem to be similar symptoms, but not necessarily conclusive it's the same issue.
Sympton with the front passenger window starting from the fully up position:
Touch the drivers door control - even to raise the window, and the fr/passenger window dives into the door to the fully down position.
From the same position using the passenger door control, up seems to be OK, select to go down and it will retreat into the door as per drivers control.
Only the passenger door control then seems to be able to move it up to close it, but this takes approx 5 consecutive attempts before it will then start to step up about 3-4 inches at a time.

I'm not 100% sure I've got the reset sequence right if it's just a case of resetting the sensor memory. I've tried holding the switch up when it's fully up for approx 10 seconds (after turning ignition key fully off and then back to ignition on position), but this hasn't cured it.
Is there a specific key/switch sequence from a fully up or down position that needs following, or am I definitely looking at a sensor issue?

Curiously, it has just had the drivers door ECU replaced as both rear windows had developed a tendency to simultaneously lower themselves.......

Thanks in advance :)
Cheers
Ian.

CatmanV2

You can try holding the switch at full up for 10 seconds, then full down for 10 seconds, but I think your microswitches are failing

C

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Or it could be sticky window rubber. I had similar stop-start on the driver's window and bought some 'Gummi Pflege'. I didn't even have to use it - I just showed the bottle to the car and it immediately started to behave properly. Urrà!

IanU

Thanks all,
I'll give the reset another go and check the guides for any dirt.
What am I into if the micro switch has failed, seems strange that the drivers door switch has a slightly different effect, could this be related to a 'door ecu' issue?

Thanks
Ian.

CatmanV2

Could be a different switch. I understand the job is fiddly more than hard. The switches are stupid expensive from Maserati, but equivalents cost pennies

C

TridentTested

I had vaguely similar symptoms: the NSF window lowered itself while the car was parked and locked. "Is that your car alarm I can hear?"

It was reluctant to go back up.

This happened a few times at random times.

McGrath diagnosed it as the anti-trap strip being faulty. They changed it, it's been perfect ever since.

IanU

Thanks Michael, I've managed to consistently repeat the scenario from both driver and passenger side switches. So whatever it is is consistent in its effect for it to drop the window. If the anti trap strip has failed, I presume the system logic would deal with a reset procedure consistently too - yes?