Air bag light

conaero

Forum Owner
I tripped it on the weekend. I was under the bonnet and noticed one of the wing mounted sensor wires was a little strained so I disconnected it and ran it the other way, taken the stress off it.

Unfortunately this was the crash sensor for the Airbag system so as the battery was not disconnected at this point, its threw an airbag warning light....great!

Well today it went out to my surprise?

So, if you have accidentally triggered one, it looks like if the fault does not persist after a certain amount of restarts (about 10~15 by my experience) it should go out so no need to panic.

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep lucky and testament to "modern car design" as if that was a relic 4200/GS that warning light would have plagued you for the entirety of your ownership experience!!!

:D

Michael

I tripped it on the weekend. I was under the bonnet and noticed one of the wing mounted sensor wires was a little strained so I disconnected it and ran it the other way, taken the stress off it.

Unfortunately this was the crash sensor for the Airbag system so as the battery was not disconnected at this point, its threw an airbag warning light....great!

Well today it went out to my surprise?

So, if you have accidentally triggered one, it looks like if the fault does not persist after a certain amount of restarts (about 10~15 by my experience) it should go out so no need to panic.

Conaero,

Could you take a picture of the wire in question and post it pls? My airbag light is on 80% of the time, I think it is the Navtrak draining the battery, even with a CTEK. But it may be the wire you came across.

Thanks.

CatmanV2

Conaero,

Could you take a picture of the wire in question and post it pls? My airbag light is on 80% of the time, I think it is the Navtrak draining the battery, even with a CTEK. But it may be the wire you came across.

Thanks.

Main or passenger airbag light?

C

conaero

Forum Owner
Conaero,

Thanks.

I can't take a picture but I will tell you we're it is.

You have to remove the engine cover then looking at the engine from the front it's a sensors about the size of a matchbox on the righthand upper chassis brace down near the front.

alfatwo

Yep lucky and testament to "modern car design" as if that was a relic 4200/GS that warning light would have plagued you for the entirety of your ownership experience!!!

:D

Not like an old school 3200 then Phil ;)

Dave

hashluck

My Gransport seats are going to be removed for refurb and main dealer tells me disconnecting them might throw an airbag warning light (50/50 chance they said). However they also said not a big deal for them to reset it for me.

Should I worry that it is not that easy in reality? Or should I isolate the battery first and it will not be an issue?

CatmanV2

Disconnect the battery and then the airbag. Do not reconnect the battery before the airbags are re-connected.

I'd expect all to be fine. Really can't see why it's 50/50. Unless they are expecting a 50% chance of damage to the connectors (which may not be that far from the truth)

C

CatmanV2

Disconnect the battery and then the airbag. Do not reconnect the battery before the airbags are re-connected.

I'd expect all to be fine. Really can't see why it's 50/50. Unless they are expecting a 50% chance of damage to the connectors (which may not be that far from the truth)

C