Looking for a 4200

jack.pe

Hello chaps!

I've got a little car blog on youtube and have been doing this thing where I am going through 12 cars i've always wanted to own. Video here if you're interested [video=youtube;UXGBSCE1PBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXGBSCE1PBI[/video]

In 18 months I have had:
1. BMW E46 M3
2. Mini GP (special version built by Bertone with no rear seats)
3. Nissan GTR R32 Skyline
4. Lancia Delta Integrale
5. Lotus Esprit Turbo (1984)

6...... Maserati 4200??

The Esprit is now sold and I am looking at moving on to a 4200. Love the Ferrari engine, driven a few and think they are great.:shy1:

I've spoken to James about his Blue GS, which looks great but I'm concerned about resale because though I like it, the blue and white interior is marmite and the relatively high mileage would put a lot of people off. If it was a keeper I would have already pulled the trigger but as I have to resell in a few months I'm not sure. I made an offer, he's made a counter offer and I'm thinking about it but want to view a few more first.

Saw Bestie (Steve's) Gran Sport and it looked cracking. Lovely chap, only negative is that two of the previous services were done by an owner so not technically a full history, again would have snapped it up if it was a keeper but though I came very close he was immovable on price . He's told me in any case he has now sold it to someone local.

I'm negotiating on green low mileage car at autoSportiva:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...6/page/4/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

Pluses:
1. Larini Exhaust - sounds awesome
2. low miles
3. Love the colour
4. Full history with fastidious spreadsheet done by previous owner

Minuses:
1. Slightly lumpy idle, this likely to be leaking intake? it's not very noticeable, thought maybe it was the exhaust.. expensive fix if leaking air intake?
2. Steering judders if moved fast from lock to lock -hopefully air in the system so a bleed/fluid change should cure it?
3. Cam covers are weeping very slightly - £600-£700 for Giallo to reseal
4. There is a fair bit of oil mist/spray under the square box right at the front of the engine (air meter?), just before it joins the actual metal air intake manifold - the air sensor box i think, fist sized. Could be just previous leaks from the cam seals..
5. Rear window is delaminating at the bottom
6. Some switches and air vents need replacing as chrome coming off
7. There is coolant smell in the cabin so I would guess that the matrix is is need of replacement

All the minuses apart from the rear window would have to be addressed for me to buy it and we're discussing that right now. Obviously the most serious stuff is the coolant smell and the slight oil leaks..

If anyone knows of a good 4200 then please let me know... again because it is part of my 12 cars project it would need to be relatively easy to move on (I know these are always slow sellers) so, relatively low mileage preferred and with real full history.

jack.pe

Ok the green car is a no go, i'm quite relieved really. We could not reach a deal on that one. So still looking and seriously condifering James' blue GranSport. Though still pretty worrried about reasale due to individual interior and mileage..

conaero

Forum Owner
My brothers is for sale, username: Spartacus

its a facelift model with a new clutch and mint condition. I think offers around £16k gets it.

Its a light blue with grey interior, looks nice.

rockits

Yes, don't go for the green one as not sure you would sell it on easily enough after. Not a known popular colour that I know of. it is also pretty strong money for a non-facelift. A facelift car is what I would go for.

Mav has just sold his at Brands yesterday I think but Sparts facelift is great value. Just had a new clutch as well I think and sounds good.

jack.pe

Just PM'd Spartacus but at 65k miles I'm worried that might be a tad high. Again just taking about resale here.
Why is face lift so important? I understand they changed very little?

Steve GS

Don't be fooled by mileage on these cars. The more they have been driven the better they run. As long as it's been serviced.

jack.pe

Don't be fooled by mileage on these cars. The more they have been driven the better they run. As long as it's been serviced.

I'm totally aware of that BUT as explained I will need to sell this on in 2-3 months and unfortunately most buyers will be looking for low mileage. The higher the miles the harder it will be to sell on. I don't want a 20,000 miler but I would expect a 40,000 car to be much easier to resell. Especially in a Maserati..
I think James's GS with 69k miles is a great buy but because I need to resell fairly quickly I'm hesitating on that one as well.

Again, why is facelift so desirable when I thought the difference was minimal?

Thanks for your help and input guys

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
A facelift car has uprated gearbox and suspension (as does an 04MY), the facelift adds GS front and rear bumpers, and a few minor tweaks too. They're more sought after and pretty rare.

rockits

You won't sell that green one quick at any mileage

A Maser of any colour/spec/mileage is not going to be a quick car to sell on in the most part.

Unless your majestic Mav the god of Maser car sales of course!

Contigo

Sponsor
Why do people come on here, ask for advice from the real enthusiasts and then completely ignore the advice?

11651A2D-ABFD-4B24-A5E5-45FCFBB7DD33.jpg

I might come across as arrogant and offensive, that's because I am :D

jack.pe

Why do people come on here, ask for advice from the real enthusiasts and then completely ignore the advice?

11651A2D-ABFD-4B24-A5E5-45FCFBB7DD33.jpg

I might come across as arrogant and offensive, that's because I am :D

Dear Advicehole and all round sage, please do tell me what advice I have supposedly ignored?

jack.pe

You won't sell that green one quick at any mileage

A Maser of any colour/spec/mileage is not going to be a quick car to sell on in the most part.

Unless your majestic Mav the god of Maser car sales of course!

Totally realise that.. but obviously wanted to get one that would be as easy as possible to resell.
Incidentally spoke to magic Mav earlier today when I rang him by chance having seen his autotrader ad..

Contigo

Sponsor
Dear Advicehole and all round sage, please do tell me what advice I have supposedly ignored?

It's not so much aimed at you but aimed at most newcomers who ask for advice about a car, we advise based on ownership experience and then people usually post back saying bought the car that everyone told me not to buy then come crying back when the car needs 60% of it's purchase price spending on in repairs within the first few months of ownership. Hardly a satisfying outcome or an introduction to the brand.

My advice on any 4200 purchase or any Maser is get a PPI done.

Also buy from an enthusiast as they generally look after them more than your average Joe who neglect their cars and run a champagne car on "Lemonade money"

I also would say don't buy one to move it on in 3 months time as that isn't going to be cost effective especially from a dealer. You need a project car for that sort of thing (ie £4k 3200 or £5k 4200 and there are those about but you need a strong constitution for one!)

rockits

Nothing seems to be moving easily at the moment. Certainly the market has softened slightly, is generally less bouyant and less confident. No different to anything else at the moment. Nobody really knows what is going on or what is going to happen. Something to do with this Brexit thing I expect.

Life is too short though so buy the car you want & worry about tomorrow tomorrow! If it doesn't resell....then you'll have to keep its. Worse things have happened at sea

Still think a green one is a bad idea though. Any blue is much more sought after & will be easier to resell. Mav's car is case in point.

My QP is blue but the 4200 is not. I'm not selling the 4200 anyway at any price. Too good to not keep it.

A good blue facelift at a good price will be a good bet. Sparts.......

jack.pe

It's not so much aimed at you but aimed at most newcomers who ask for advice about a car, we advise based on ownership experience and then people usually post back saying bought the car that everyone told me not to buy then come crying back when the car needs 60% of it's purchase price spending on in repairs within the first few months of ownership. Hardly a satisfying outcome or an introduction to the brand.

My advice on any 4200 purchase or any Maser is get a PPI done.

Also buy from an enthusiast as they generally look after them more than your average Joe who neglect their cars and run a champagne car on "Lemonade money"

I also would say don't buy one to move it on in 3 months time as that isn't going to be cost effective especially from a dealer. You need a project car for that sort of thing (ie £4k 3200 or £5k 4200 and there are those about but you need a strong constitution for one!)

Thanks for the advice! Agree on the enthusiast bit which is why I'm posting here. This is part of my 12 cars project hence it can't be a long term thing.. so far I'm about even on the ther cars I have bought and sold. Made a little on couple and lost a bit on the others. As I've said before if this was going to be a keeper the mileage would not concern me at all.. a PPi is always on the cards.
Do understand what you say about people ignoring your advice but really I'm listening to what you guys are saying and I've PM'd the owner of the car suggested earlier in the thread.. but as this is not just a normal purchase I'm also considering things to try and make it as easy to resell as possible.

Intimately I want to experience owning one of these cool cars and document it for my blog... hopefully without loosing a shed load of money!

jack.pe

Nothing seems to be moving easily at the moment. Certainly the market has softened slightly, is generally less bouyant and less confident. No different to anything else at the moment. Nobody really knows what is going on or what is going to happen. Something to do with this Brexit thing I expect.

Life is too short though so buy the car you want & worry about tomorrow tomorrow! If it doesn't resell....then you'll have to keep its. Worse things have happened at sea

Still think a green one is a bad idea though. Any blue is much more sought after & will be easier to resell. Mav's car is case in point.

My QP is blue but the 4200 is not. I'm not selling the 4200 anyway at any price. Too good to not keep it.

A good blue facelift at a good price will be a good bet. Sparts.......

Thanks.. agreed on the green car and that is now not happening.

Definitely considering Sparts car and have PM'd him but not heard back yet.
Please don't shoot me but I don't really like grey interiors either..