only starts when cold ?

steve.morris

Hi all

we have a 4200 at work and a few weeks ago it started playing up.

Im told, the first problem was it just stalled whilst queuing at a petrol station and would only turn over but not fire (no emls)
a few hours later it started again.
After this the gear selection became flaky and it would only go from 1st to 2nd not third so was driven back to work in 2nd and the gearbox eml was now on.

we did the reset trick but only worked for a few minuets regarding the gearbox light.
irrespective of the gearbox light illuminating or not it would still not start once warm and even died once just ticking over when i was looking at it.
shows no eml.

I changed the suspected F1 pump as some research pointed towards this and the relay. (although we could hear it priming everytime.)
fitted and all was good after a drive around the yard and no gearbox light but when i turned it off it failed to start again !
i know if i go out to it now it will start on the button and run/drive fine but once warm if it will not start just turn over.

personally i suspect a tdc sensor but im now guessing and though i would ask as research is not showing anything similar to this problem.

thanks in advance.

CatmanV2

Cam position sensor can do the hot start thing. And they have something of a history of failure. But the gearbox will also stop the car from starting in certain conditions, so a professional diagnosis is likely to be more help.

Welcome, BTW

C

steve.morris

Thanks for the welcome,

I had noticed a couple of threads mentioning cam sensors but they all seemed to have had different problems leading to changing it.

we have a Foxwell diagnostic onsite and i have emailed foxwell to see how deep there software for the Maserati will go before downloading it.
is there a method for testing a cam position sensor on these cars and is there any info on the location of them ?

thanks
Steve

safrane

There may be two issues here.

The gear selection refusing to give anything above 2 could be a collapsed tang on the clutch plate or selector actuators the latter needing an SD3 to diagnose.

voicey

You have two issues here - the hot start problem should be approached from first principles so find a competent mechanic. Cam/crank sensors are hall effect and will produce a square wave on a scope but you need to verify fuel/air/spark first.

The gearbox issue is never going to be solved without looking in the NCR - I'd be interested to know if your foxwell tool works.

steve.morris

thank you all for your time and input.

We are going to get it plugged in as i contacted foxwell and their software is just code reading and reset.
maserati foxwell.jpg

took it for a very short run yesterday and all was fine and as i pulled it back into our unit it died just as the fans kicked in.