GS won't start

maseratimike7

Is this what will need to be replaced/tested?

d904c0180fc97b7d92553c54c27c2dba.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
Yes, that is it. They are cheap and easy to fit.

Before you go spending though, have you a multimeter with the audible continuity buzzer test.

Plug it in the back and press the plunger to see if it works...or just look at the brake lights coming on and off?

You could also pull the plug and bridge the connector with a bit of wire.

Make sure you do still have your foot on the brake when you do this on a start and/or in neutral.

safrane

You may be able to get it started by completing the circuit of the plunger as when the pedal is at rest it opens the sensor and when you press the brake it closes it.

maseratimike7

My meter doesn't have audio unfortunately.

When this sensor is removed would this still stop the brake lights working?

I will try and complete the circuit and see if I can start it to make sure it's the switch.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

maseratimike7

The sensor is definitely bust then as pushing with my finger all the way in still doesn't engage the brake light.

conaero

Forum Owner
There you go then, problem solved.

Think they are about a tenner.

If you want to double check, remove the multi plug and bridge the terminals, see if the brake lights come on, then try starting and it should work.

Foot on the brake remember when starting.

voicey

It'll be the switch - they are junk. You're lucky someone didn't run into the back of you when you were out!

If you need to move the car then do as Matt says and jump the connector.

Gp79

Interested in this.

I can start my GS without brake pressed.

But need brake pressed to engage a gear.

voicey

The car will start without the brake pedal being pressed if it is in neutral. If it is in gear then you will need the brake pedal pressed - it takes it out of gear and then starts the engine.

Contigo

Sponsor
The car will start without the brake pedal being pressed if it is in neutral. If it is in gear then you will need the brake pedal pressed - it takes it out of gear and then starts the engine.

Correct, if you left the car in Neutral before turning it off then it was start. But no one does that as no one uses the handbrake in a Maser :D

maseratimike7

Ok latest update after playing with the brake switch the lights now work however the car will still not start??!

Checked everything and cannot see an obvious solution here but I know it has to be an electrical disconnect from start button to starter motor.

conaero

Forum Owner
I feel you have explored all the obvious stuff, you need to now look at the power and energise signal to the solenoid.

Probably time to involve an expert or get an auto electrician round.

You've. He led the battery piggyback connections and all the fuses yes?

Most likely is the starter motor solinoid or the actual ignition barrel itself.

voicey

Sorry - I missed the bit about it being in neutral.

The NCR takes a start signal from the ignition switch and then copies it to the starting relay if it decides to allow a start. I would start by sniffing and belling out these connections.

maseratimike7

I feel you have explored all the obvious stuff, you need to now look at the power and energise signal to the solenoid.

Probably time to involve an expert or get an auto electrician round.

You've. He led the battery piggyback connections and all the fuses yes?

Most likely is the starter motor solinoid or the actual ignition barrel itself.
It's looking that way, annoying as the nearest indy is over 100 miles and would a everyday auto electrician know what to do with this car!

Not sure if this makes any difference to the reasons but as I recently fitted the new altenator the volt guage has always been half way just before I switched the car off before it wouldn't start again it dropped below a quarter.

Would this point to anything?

Definitely checked all fuses and piggy back leads.

Thanks

maseratimike7

Sorry - I missed the bit about it being in neutral.

The NCR takes a start signal from the ignition switch and then copies it to the starting relay if it decides to allow a start. I would start by sniffing and belling out these connections.
Thanks I could always double check these.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the NCR and where is it located?

CatmanV2

Something popped on the US forum. Apparently the brake switch is double pole, double throw. With the brake lights being normally open, but the computer signal being normally closed.

Are there four cables on yours?

C