Serious CEL issue :(

Contigo

Sponsor
The DBW is the Achilles heel of the 3200, once sorted it will make ownership far more pleasurable. Trust me I battled for over a year to sort reliability issues when I bought my first 3200.

Twinturbo

I'm one to think outside the box has anyone just done a full aftermarket tune with a cable throttle
And pedal to eliminate it all while chasing higher horsepower ? I've seen a few modified 3200gt on YouTube but the details are scarce but they must have done tuning and fuebomwork at least to great the power , I miss driving my Maserati and it's only
Been 2 weeks , that turbo surge is like a drug lol

davy83

I have not seen any cars with cable throttle. I think this change would affect the fuel injection and the engine ECU which is normally in control of the throttle valve. There is also the pedal sensor which again is connected to the ECU. So you would need to replace the ECU, fuel injection controller (might just be the ECU), ignition controls pedal sensor and throttle body. You than have the problem of driveability. The engine mapping was changed in 2001 and the driveability was improved and this was down to changing the way the turbos come in, and messed around with the relationship between the demand throttle position and the delivered power. The problem with the engine is that both turbos come on at the same time, so the different between 2500 rpm and 3500 rpm is huge and the ECU nurses you through this to some degree. Personally I would not go down this road, and I have a TB redone by Xmodex and one of my own contact-less pedal sensors and my car is quite well behaved these days, it idles well and is smooth to drive, as well as being mad as a bag of frogs, which is why i still have it after 10 years for telling my self i should sell it!

I'm one to think outside the box has anyone just done a full aftermarket tune with a cable throttle
And pedal to eliminate it all while chasing higher horsepower ? I've seen a few modified 3200gt on YouTube but the details are scarce but they must have done tuning and fuebomwork at least to great the power , I miss driving my Maserati and it's only
Been 2 weeks , that turbo surge is like a drug lol

Twinturbo

Well my CEL is gone thanks to fitting a new TB, I have written an email to previous "fixer" I will not comment further till I get a reply........very angry ATM indeed that it only lasted 2,000kms

Oh and how rude of me!,thank you so much ! love u you guys the simple TB test as advised by you both solely made my decision to purchase a second TB to troubleshoot future problems marvellous info that Now I can drive it while I get a proper contactless fix by xemodex

Twinturbo

Got email back from Mike , as well as the tough luck it's out of warranty reply apparently he repaired my TB even though it was almost irrepairable he was surprised he got it working again but in reality it didn't work properly from the start and threw CEL non stop since it was reinstalled and broke completely after just 2,000kms and 2 years , bad practice IMO should have just told owner to buy a New or second hand one if your gonna do a dodgy fix and charge full price

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Been 2 weeks ��, that turbo surge is like a drug lol

If you are changing the turbos for bigger ones, it will require remapping. Don't know if the original ecu can be remapped, so if you need to fit a new ecu to enable mapping, you can fit an alternative cable operated throttle body. The new ecu can also then control water injection as part of the mapping too!
It's not such a silly idea to me!

Twinturbo

If you are changing the turbos for bigger ones, it will require remapping. Don't know if the original ecu can be remapped, so if you need to fit a new ecu to enable mapping, you can fit an alternative cable operated throttle body. The new ecu can also then control water injection as part of the mapping too!
It's not such a silly idea to me!

Yeah that's what I was thinking too it's an option, I think they can be remapped as the standard tunes require u to give them your ecu but I'm not 100% sure bout that maybe someone who has a tune could Confirm, A lot of minor tuning can be done through fuel regulators and upsizing injectors to match the turbo size increase too ,it's worked really well for cars in the past but Fine tuning for every extra HP and perfect driveability required a lot of dyno time and aftermarket ecu, if our 3200gt do have 400cc injectors that's a good size for around the 500hp mark waiting from that poster on the other thread to reply bout specifics .as he claimed to make 600hp at the wheels on 450cc which is really stretching the realms of possibility

Mott The Hoople

in my opinion it all hinges on whether Mike gave you fair warning that it was chancy before he did the upgrade. If he did, then it's you that took the chance and the outcome is bad luck - but fair enough. If he didn't, then he should have talked to you before going ahead and you have a fair complaint.
Steve.

Contigo

Sponsor
[video=youtube;ze87oQnS2eE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=ze87oQnS2eE[/video]

car with megasquirt 3, running bigger injectors, E85 1,35bar boost.
Original turbos, dual 3" exhaust with sidepipes. Big front mount intercooler.
Nice flames when shifting gears(plus loud bang)

rs48635

Got email back from Mike , as well as the tough luck it's out of warranty reply apparently he repaired my TB even though it was almost irrepairable he was surprised he got it working again but in reality it didn't work properly from the start and threw CEL non stop since it was reinstalled and broke completely after just 2,000kms and 2 years , bad practice IMO should have just told owner to buy a New or second hand one if your gonna do a dodgy fix and charge full price

I have never used Mike Roberts yet, but give the guy a break. Imagine if your only hope to get a 3200 running was a refurb? Maybe the original owner insisted he wanted the original unit fixing, rather than replacing? Maybe original owner was sure it was locked to the VIN of the vehicle, after being told online. Not everything we read or write online is true!
Can always get a guarantee by rilling into a Maserati dealer and doing it all "right" using genuine OEM parts. $$$$$$

Contigo

Sponsor
Agreed Mike makes it very clear that he cannot guarantee the efficacy of any work done to an already modified throttle body provided to him. He tried with one of mine but it failed very quickly.

redsonnylee

I took my TB to Mike, the previous refurb was carried out by another indie in London and it was in a poor condition. It was 50/50 if it could be repaired but I risked trying to get it fixed knowing if not it would cost a lot more.

So you need to check the circumstances prior.

Mott The Hoople

I have never used Mike Roberts yet, but give the guy a break. Imagine if your only hope to get a 3200 running was a refurb? Maybe the original owner insisted he wanted the original unit fixing, rather than replacing? Maybe original owner was sure it was locked to the VIN of the vehicle, after being told online. Not everything we read or write online is true!
Can always get a guarantee by rilling into a Maserati dealer and doing it all "right" using genuine OEM parts. $$$$$$

I have used Mike and would recommend him unreservedly. Few others would have been prepared even to try to save your TB.
Steve.

Twinturbo

[video=youtube;ze87oQnS2eE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=ze87oQnS2eE[/video]

car with megasquirt 3, running bigger injectors, E85 1,35bar boost.
Original turbos, dual 3" exhaust with sidepipes. Big front mount intercooler.
Nice flames when shifting gears(plus loud bang)

Great video Contigo love it
1.35bar on stock turbos nice and robust things they are

I bought this car knowing Mike had rebuilt the TB so previous owner must have been desperate but you gotta learn from mistakes so
I decided to pick up a low 20k mile TB that's so far working brilliantly no CELs
Factoring in the cost and hassle of sending overseas to mike from Australia ends up being around the same cost as just picking up a good working second hand unit and I can guarantee I'll get more than 2,000kms out of it opposed to sending a ******* one back to Mike that he couldn't fix originally. Its my car and considering the history of the broken TB getting a different one was a no brainer really.