Surface rust

maseratimike7

Hi,

My GS has had to bare the elements due to my 66 duetto project which is living in the garage.

When I last washed the car I noticed a small amount of surface rust on the front wing lip and the same on the rear.

What would you guys advise to do to nip this in the bud and protect it without ruining the paint if that's possible?

Cheers

Mike

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

safrane

If you can see rust then there is more underneath which needs getting to prevent it galloping away with the wings.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
There isn't any aluminium panels that I'm aware of, all steel.....certainly when you go around with a magnet!

Panicracing

davy83

this is a million dollar question i suspect, a new car? i have used various rust cure liquids and these days have taken to spraying the underside and suspension with Terrotex 350 which is pretty good but needs re-applied every 6 months or so so it may not be ideal. Generally bad rust requires removal in my book and its only once the rust is removed you need to treat the rusty metal before rebuilding the rusty areas. i have typically got a body shop i trust to deal with any serious work because of the problems of getting the paintwork right once its done.

Any tips on the best preventer product to use for anti rust?

CatmanV2

As an owner of various 1980s Alfas, none of the rust remedies worked worth a ****. The only option is to cut out and replace :(

C

nfm

Suggest you take it to a body shop while it is still on the inner lip. If you let it stray beyond then you will need the whole panel painted which is not the outcome you want.

maseratimike7

Thanks for the feedback guys I will look at the options and inspect further to see if it's only in the one area or if any is hidden behind the arch trim!

Hopefully it's only where I can see it, downsides of being by the sea and having the car outside!

markp4200

Hopefully it's only where I can see it, downsides of being by the sea and having the car outside!
Absolutely agree that it's worth bunging some dosh at it now with a reputable body-shop and nip it in the bud; also anything else which you can't see - there is BOUND to be some!
Rust is like an iceberg (only one ninth visible), so don't take risks.
Just had my classic Mini treated and it's worth every penny. Value preserved.