Stradale Power

outrun

I'd have bought Goodyears too if the sizes where available. Also very happy with Michelins. In fact, I'd have gone for Continental as well however I wanted Conti5 or Conti6 all round but would have had to mix front and back and that turned me away. Why not wait for Stuart to give his assessment of the Michelins too before committing? Or are you thinking that it should happen pre-Spain?

conaero

Forum Owner
Ok, so here is the answer, I would have less contact to the road but over 7% greater rolling circumference and a high speedo inaccuracy...so that's a no then!

tyre.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
...Now the interesting bit here is my speedo actually over reads...and so do most speedos by, you guessed it...5%

So fitting these 285/45/20 Goodyear F1 will mean 10mm less width to the tyre but an accurate speedo???

So the speedo thing is ok so now lets look at the 285 from 295 width implications:

So we now have a tyre that is 285mm wide rather than 295mm which has been stretched across a rim. As it is being pulled wider, surely the circumference will decrease too?

It would be interesting so see if the actual tread or contact width is indeed 10mm narrower or less as the measurement is from the sidewall width and not the tread width???

So do we think that having a better quality, sticker tyre that is 2.5% narrow will be a safety issue?

Contigo

Sponsor
Why would you fit those size to your car? Keep the tyre wall height/profile the same mate but go one size up on the width, I am running 295's on the rear at the moment instead of the 285's recommended.

conaero

Forum Owner
Because F1's only come in 285/45/20 and not 295/35/20 and I badly want them on the Strad rear. The fronts they do the correct size.

What I am after is highlighting any safety issue in doing this.

conaero

Forum Owner
Why would you fit those size to your car? Keep the tyre wall height/profile the same mate but go one size up on the width, I am running 295's on the rear at the moment instead of the 285's recommended.

Can I ask what size rim you have, 20 yes?

conaero

Forum Owner
GTS:
20" Neptunes:
Front width: 8.5"
Rear width: 10.5"

Strad:
20" MC:

So, they are the same wheels and thus if a GTS has OEM rear fitment of 285, there is no reason not to put a 285 on the Strad MC wheel.

So the final question is 35 up to 45 profile???

Ewan

I'm perfectly happy with the Pirellis on my Masers, but then again, I (virtually) never drive them in the cold or wet (and certainly not the MC-V).

Have you chaps seen the latest tyre test in the Sept issue of EVO? Out of 9 tyres tested (in wet and dry conditions) the Goodyear Eagle F1 comes a lowly 8th, only managing to beat the Toyo's. Pirelli P Zero PZ4 comes 2nd, with the winner being the Michelin Pilot Sport 4. That said, it was the Pirelli that set the fastest times on both the wet and dry handling circuits. 3rd place went to the Continental Premiumcontact 6.

Of course, much of this is academic to us as many of the tyres simply aren't available in the sizes we need.

Ewan

Ha! Just went to the garage and noticed that I actually have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the MC-V. I now remember that the Pirelli were out of stock. So, it's just the GTS that has the Italian rubber.

Contigo

Sponsor
GTS:
20" Neptunes:

Strad:
20" MC:

So, they are the same wheels and thus if a GTS has OEM rear fitment of 285, there is no reason not to put a 285 on the Strad MC wheel.

So the final question is 35 up to 45 profile???

Strad wheels are forged and GTS are cast so much lighter for the strad and you can feel it. GTS wheels are ******* heavy!

As I said I don't see the reason to change the profile, surely it's better to have a smaller profile for better handling reasons, 45 is a massive sidewall on a 285 section tyre.

Up it to 295 if I were you.

azapa

^^^ nice thread swerve! But to OP: the stradale has a different ECU and gearbox programming in race mode than a MC. More power too. That, I believe, is more a factor than dodgy tires.

Here's the question we should be asking:
1. Has anyone ever dynoed a Stradale?
2. Has anyone ever obtained accurate performance figures (precise GPS or drag race) from a Stradale?

I did the later, and it was far quicker than it says on the box.

outrun

Interesting Azapa. I'm convinced mine is faster than a normal 4.7 but I wondered if this is just a perception thing. I suspect that the output is more than quoted however the brand was positioned to deliberately stay away from Ferrari figures. I don't think this is the only car where this is true given the corporate politics of selling cars and brands.

azapa

Exactly. Interesting.

In two races against a GT3 997.1 manual, tuned, showed it to be the exact same 1/4 mile time and beyond, both cars were identical to about 170Km/h (where the track finished). In one race with a Boxster GTS, the strad was faster by about 5 car lengths, but maybe the driver was having a bad day. If you dig through the quoted performance figures for the Strad and the two Porkies, both the Germans should have thrashed the Italian..

Any one else have real figures or comparisons?

FF1078

Exactly. Interesting.

In two races against a GT3 997.1 manual, tuned, showed it to be the exact same 1/4 mile time and beyond, both cars were identical to about 170Km/h (where the track finished). In one race with a Boxster GTS, the strad was faster by about 5 car lengths, but maybe the driver was having a bad day. If you dig through the quoted performance figures for the Strad and the two Porkies, both the Germans should have thrashed the Italian..

Any one else have real figures or comparisons?

Nice to Know

Contigo

Sponsor
I don't think it's much quicker than a GTS from when I've been in one. I'd like to do a back to back test to be sure though, remember the old GTS stock Vs GTS remap ages ago on here (Dan and Conaero) and the remapped one with about 30-40bhp more still couldn't get a car length on the stock car. It was nice to know that both cars as stock were around 500bhp!!!! 40bhp on a 2 Ton car at that speed makes **** all difference in the real World!