4200, Spare wheel

Saigon

Probably just being paranoid, but I do feel uneasy not having a spare wheel (even though I have not experienced a puncture for at least 20 years). The car came equipped with the Maserati repair kit (Compressor and Gunge). Has anyone ever had to use this and is it effective or not, I see spares advertised in the 500 pound range so I am reluctant to go down that road and I have read that RAC and AA will not attend to a vehicle that does not carry a spare, is this true. So basically just wondering what you all did when you had punctures, there must be a few of you out there ! Cheers.

allandwf

Gunk stuff is fine for a puncture, but then you cannot have the tyre repaired. Not of any use for a split, like I had after hitting a pot hole, AA recovered me to tyre place who had a suitable replacement, but was non matching. Personally I prefer a spare.

MrMickS

I don't have a spare. Went to Italy and back without one last year and plan on doing the same this year. I've got recovery in case something happens that the gunk can't fix.

It's a bit of a risk but life would be boring without them.

montravia

I don't have a spare. Went to Italy and back without one last year and plan on doing the same this year. I've got recovery in case something happens that the gunk can't fix.

Ditto, three week tour of France to the south, plenty repair and roadside cover. Didn't even think about not having a spare

D Walker

It never crossed my mind when I did the NC 500 until the wife asked about a spare!!!!

CatmanV2

Gunk stuff is fine for a puncture, but then you cannot have the tyre repaired.

Sorry chap, this is just not true from my experience. (Depending on the type of gunk I guess)

Plus you're very unlikely to need it repaired.....

C

Saigon

I tend to agree, could you give me a recommendation re Recovery, a couple I looked at had a disclaimer in the small print which excluded vehicles that were not carrying a spare.

alfatwo

I was lucky enough to have a brand new Ferrari space saver included when I bought the old 3200GT a few years back

It's gotten me out of trouble a couple of times, once over the St Gottard on a Sunday afternoon!

For piece of mind and what with all the hours of faffing about with breakdown, I wouldn't be without one..

Her indoors wasn't too keen on having the front wheel on her lap all the way down to Milano though;)

Dave

rusty iron

I bought an original Maserati spare wheel kit for the 4200 a year ago at great expense but as most of my driving is in the country I reckon its worth the piece of mind. Its not as easy to get help out side towns in Australia as it is in Europe. Hope I never need it though.

alfazagato

Flat-bedded off the M1 at night, after a flat tyre on a contraflow section which resulted in shredded sidewalls, to a services where the spare was fitted. I drove back to London at 50mph and arrived about two hours late. If I had no spare, the "goo" would certainly not have inflated the remains of the tyre. I would have had to find somewhere to stay and ordered a replacement next morning effectively losing a day. My only problem is that even after deflating the spare I can't get it totally into the recess in the boot floor.....neither can Maranello!

spkennyuk

Did you also get the boot carpet with the hump in it ?

If you didnt thats why it wont fit. Ask the usual used parts suppliers to see if they have one.

spkennyuk

Its number 6 in the top left on this diagram. Which replaces the flat drop in panel number 6 in the main diagram.

I think MLC has one on his 4200 so can probably supply an actual picture of it for you.

2DA5CC5DBF894F7BA5E6D07BBEBF1431.jpg

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Here it is.
It doesn't intrude that much really.
It's 5" tall at the highest point at the boot catch...I think Peter must be a fisherman!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 55

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Well it's what they had left to play with, after basically using the 3200 body shell, and fitting the trans-axle under the boot floor.

allandwf

Well it's what they had left to play with, after basically using the 3200 body shell, and fitting the trans-axle under the boot floor.

Yes, and I suppose it was an option. So original buyers got what they wanted, but now buyers and the option are not aligned.

Fair2

I bought an original Maserati spare wheel kit for the 4200 a year ago at great expense but as most of my driving is in the country I reckon its worth the piece of mind. Its not as easy to get help out side towns in Australia as it is in Europe. Hope I never need it though.

I bought the kit, well worth it . I used it well outside Tamworth when I cracked a wheel on our terrible potholes.I was able to get back to Tamworth find a new Tyre, get the wheel welded ,back on road to Melbourne 4 hours later.
Hate to think how long I would have been waiting for a flattop truck!
Robert