Mystery issue ...

Devonboy

Hi all - need some input...

I own a 2010 QP V GTS with a full Maserati SH and 20k miles on the clock.

I had the water coolant expansion tank replaced today (£16.70 for an OEM replacement wow!) and the garage noticed that at idle the fan comes on for about 3-5 seconds only, at sort of 15-20 sec intervals constantly. They thought it should come on properly for longer or not at all but not at this frequency for such a limited duration.

The guys thought it might be a faulty coolant temp gauge so they checked the advisories - nothing now or cleared historically.

The fan worked perfectly when the aircon was turned off - so the guys checked the aircon advisories - nothing - all clear again now and historically.

What I get inside the car at say traffic lights is the same cycle, and the air con blows a bit harder as the fans spins for the 3-5 secs.

Any thoughts?

Devonboy

rockits

Maybe the fan resistor. Cheap and easy part to change. Had to do one on my 4200 hybrid project car as was coming on too often/early.

Devonboy

Maybe the fan resistor. Cheap and easy part to change. Had to do one on my 4200 hybrid project car as was coming on too often/early.

Thanks for this - Maserati Technical agree - so having it swapped on Saturday

many thanks

conaero

Forum Owner
Switch your AC off (econ) and see if it stops. If it does it will be normal.

conaero

Forum Owner
Yea - it behaves normally with the air con off.

This is normal.

A part of the AC system is to use the fan to cool the refrigerant to aid the change from a gas back into a liquid. You should try a 916 GTV with the AC on, the fan cuts in and out every 10 seconds....very annoying!

You could replace the refrigerant as if its lowish (and as Peter says could be the pressure sensor) then it might be struggling to reach temperature and hence the fan cutting in and out but I would ask anther QP owner to monitor theirs and see if this is the same/normal as I believe it is.

Over to you Dean....

Devonboy

SO the mystery issue has been solved and the prize goes to rockits who correctly diagnosed the fan resistor

Had it swapped over this morning, the old one was disintegrating and the new one from Maserati looked suspiciously revamped, but all good and fixed.

Many thanks to all

Devonboy

Photo of the re-vamped piece?

Glad you got it sorted...
Too late it is on!!

Old one was green and pretty thin, new one is red and a bit more substantial.

Maserati parts did say this was a fast moving part (aka they fail a lot)

Devonboy

Phil the Brit

I had the water coolant expansion tank replaced today (£16.70 for an OEM replacement wow!)

I could not believe how cheap the part was when I replaced mine. The old one was leaking like a sieve!

rockits

SO the mystery issue has been solved and the prize goes to rockits who correctly diagnosed the fan resistor

Had it swapped over this morning, the old one was disintegrating and the new one from Maserati looked suspiciously revamped, but all good and fixed.

Many thanks to all
No worries. Glad to hear it's sorted. I need to replace mine on the QP as well as soon as I get a chance. My fan is cutting in too much. Obviously a weak point that part.

rockits

I had the water coolant expansion tank replaced today (£16.70 for an OEM replacement wow!)

I could not believe how cheap the part was when I replaced mine. The old one was leaking like a sieve!
Another job I need to do on mine. Only a weep not a leak so not urgent.