Group Buy - XCarLink

conaero

Forum Owner
Guys, I have been negotiating a deal with Jan of www.xcarlink.co.uk where he can supply a wireless iPhone/Andriod mirror to the GT/GC/GTS/STRAD infotainment screen along with an auto loading reverse camera.

They have built this system for us and usual retail is £440 but Jan and I have worked out a deal where you can have the wireless mirroring system for £299 (inc VAT and delivery) and an extra £50 for the reverse camera if required.

I have run these systems in my Alfas and have one coming for my Evoque.

I am not asking for rock solid yes's, just an idea of interest to see if we can rustle up 25 members who would potentially be up for it.

For me, I use TomTom on my iPhone and this presents and excellent way to mirror it to the OEM head unit wirelessly plus stream all my media wirelessly.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=473&cat=48&page=1

Jan says the same deal can be offered to overseas members too, they will just have to pay the extra delivery charge.

StuartW

I am way, way behind the times when it comes to any kind of tech like this so perhaps someone could please explain it me in person at Brands Hatch maybe as reading the link, it sounds excellent in theory?

So I think, I could be a tentative yes?

Navcorr

Assuming it is fairly straight forward to hook-up and there'll be a few of you attending - perhaps Jan could supply Matt with a unit for demonstration purposes at Brands?

conaero

Forum Owner
I am not going to get that installed in time.

It apparently plugs into the AV socket on the back so you have to remove its, add the gubbins and possibly add a supply 12v feed, then thats it.

The rear view camera will be easy to fit but to run the wire will take time to do it properly I suppose, back seat out (easy) boot lid trim out and run the wife through the cable tidy then poke it down the sill carpet then round under the dash with cable ties and into the unit?

From Jan:

Unfortunately I do not have any videos of it in operation in a Maserati GranTurismo but I can give you a further explanation of how it works.

Basically, you remove your system from the dashboard and then disconnect the video cable which connects the head unit/control module to the screen, (from the end of the cable that connects to the screen) and connect it to the Interface. You then connect the cable provided with the interface into the back of the screen (in place of the OEM cable that you have just removed). You then connect the power a nd CAN bus cables behind the control module (just follow the connections as stated in the installation manual). Now that the interface connected to your OEM system you would then connect the AV cable from the smartphone mirroring module to one of the AV inputs on the interface, and the Audio output from the interface to the AUX input in the vehicle. The rear camera connects to to the dedicated rear camera input on the interface. Once you have completed the installation you can switch from your original system to the smartphone mirroring at any time by holding down the 'phone' button on the steering wheel for a few seconds, press and hold the same button to return to OEM at any time. You would then pair your phone with the wifi hotspot that is now avaialble and switch your phone to screen mirroring mode (please note the pairing process would only need to be carried out once if you are using the same phone) .The rear camera automatically display as soon as you engage reverse gear.

One of the key benefits of our system is it requires no coding or modifications to the software on the OEM system.

conaero

Forum Owner
Some vids

Connections:

[video=youtube;4QdR1boF0z4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QdR1boF0z4[/video]

Demo:

[video=youtube;AiI0MZojonw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiI0MZojonw[/video]

spkennyuk

Just a thought. If its connecting via wifi as per the video then i think you will loose the option to use your phone as your sat Nav as mobile data is turned off when connected via wifi.

Dont take it as gospel as i have never needed to try it but on android phones there is a turbo download option you can turn on which leaves mobile data on even when connected via wifi. It may solve that problem. I dont know if apple have the same function or not.

Pumpkin in car audio connect by making your phone a wifi hotspot so you can still use your phones satnav apps.

I could be wrong as its not clear on the video how he is making the wifi connection but if its wifi direct then mobile data on your phone is turned off.

sionie1

The rear view camera will be easy to fit but to run the wire will take time to do it properly I suppose, back seat out (easy) boot lid trim out and run the wife through the cable tidy then poke it down the sill carpet then round under the dash with cable ties and into the unit?

I'm not sure my wife will be happy with running a cable tidy and then poking her....

I'm interested, I've been looking at this mod since I got the car, like some of the others I'd quite like to see one up and running

spkennyuk

You can get wireless cameras now which would make instalation a lot quicker. They usual pick up a feed from the reverse light and then transmit wireless to the receiver module in the cabin.

I fitted a wired camera on an alfa a few months ago. I managed to run it under the boot carpet and then loosen the rear seat base to pass the cable into the cabin. You still have to run the cable down the side trim and up to the dash but it does save some time against removing the whole of the back seats.

Navcorr

You can get wireless cameras now which would make instalation a lot quicker. They usual pick up a feed from the reverse light and then transmit wireless to the receiver module in the cabin.

I fitted a wired camera on an alfa a few months ago. I managed to run it under the boot carpet and then loosen the rear seat base to pass the cable into the cabin. You still have to run the cable down the side trim and up to the dash but it does save some time against removing the whole of the back seats.

I've always found a wire coat hanger invaluable for routing cables. Just a thought though - would an overhead route be simpler with these cars? I don't know - but as signal cables are typically quite narrow would they fit neatly behind the trim sections? Recently ran a USB lead this way in an estate and, from rear window to dash, it took about 5 mins.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Does the iPhone 'mirroring' enable touch screen on a car with a touch screen. I'm thinking of fitting this to a Porsche which has touch screen.

montravia

I am not going to get that installed in time.

It apparently plugs into the AV socket on the back so you have to remove its, add the gubbins and possibly add a supply 12v feed, then thats it.

From Jan:

Well, Conaero, this could be what I've been missing.

I've a 57 plate GT. It is the dinosaur before the unit was upgraded to include Bluetooth, USB input, doesn't have an audio connector (although there's an aftermarket Apple looking fly lead in the central armrest, probably just a charger).

" and the Audio output from the interface to the AUX input in the vehicle. "

I'm probably being pedantic, but is this an Aux input somewhere at the back of the existing NIT, and am I right in this being targeted to those of us without Bluetooth and USB. I see the USB on the unit, I presume this this needs to be 'flyed' to somewhere on the car, say the glovebox as fitted to later cars.

The unit has room to fit within the NIT cavity?

I can't be definitive, but enabling 'WIFI' on Android, turns off mobile data.

If I can fit it to this '57 GT, then I'm in, probably with a rear camera too (having had a 400HP fight with a carpark cast iron bollard it'll be a bargain)

Potential Whooppeee