93 Ghibli on Pistonheads

miura

well, it's on the right side for me as I will be leaving the UK in September for a 3 years assignment on the continent :)

Andyk

Can you still get parts like the fracked headlight for these....May be wrong but I seem to remember conversations a number of years back that stuff like headlights weren't cheP to replace if you could find one. Worth checking out first.....Lovely looking car though.

miura

Thanks for your encouragements :) a quick search suggest £1,300 for the headlight. Depending on the owner's reply on history, paperwork etc ... , I will decide to view it or not.

Any advice welcome!

HaydnW

Regarding the headlight, I know that Maseratispares.com have begun reproducing the glass in polycarbonate. I think the price is around 600 euros +VAT each, still not cheap, but better than paying well over a grand for a new headlight.

You could also try David Askew.

miura

well, that's 10% of the asking price :)
I don't expect a 90's Maserati to be a quiet, easy and cheap mistress but if I make the plunge, I'd like to be prepared.
I confess I know very little about Ghibli's but on paper they tick my boxes:
- italian
- rare and exotic
- 4 (-ish) seats (otherwise I know the car won't be used)

Needamaser

I am certainly no expert on these but in my book first thing is establish the extent of rust, if any. Car looks good in photos and Cazana showing passed test with no advisories which is promising.
Initially thought that headlight/cover wouldnt be a huge issue but if enthusiast owned he/she will presumably have tried likely sources such as David Askew or Sopranostu?
I find the box in mine notchy in some gears but ok once warm. Has the higher powered engine which was made for Italy.
If no-one comes forward here with any more info I would try calling either of above as they know these cars well and the pitfalls.

dickyb

As mentioned above, rust is the most important thing to look out for, Ghiblis rust everywhere but key areas to check: bulkhead area near the bonnet hinges, if its rusty there its best to walk away as its engine/dashboard out to fix it properly. Floors, sills and wheelarches are also particularly prone to rust and also be sure to check under the seals in the door apertures along the roofline. Also check front chassis legs as they can crack. Make sure there are no water leaks in the boot, a lot of Ghiblis have gone sideways into obstacles and will leak if not repaired correctly.

Mechanically these are very strong cars as long as they've been well maintained, watch out for cracked exhaust manifolds which are an engine out job to fix, alternators and starter motors can be weak and you can sometimes experience minor issues with various sensors, O2 sensors being particularly problematic.

As Haydn says headlamps are very expensive and difficult to get hold of, and those that have them want big money. As this one just has a broken lens try www.maseratispares.nl who have both OEM Maserati replacement lenses in polycarbonate and also some aftermarket lenses in lexan which are a bit cheaper.

The Series 1a is considered by many to be the most pure and raw Ghbili, they are quite a lot lighter than the later cars and with no ABS they are quite interesting to drive hard.

Ewan

The back seats are pretty tight - depending on how far back the driver needs the front seat. If your kids are aged over about 5 they'll struggle to fit.

I'd say the price is too high. I've not seen an early LHD Ghibli make 5 figures over the last 10 years. If this were in an auction it'd go for about £8k. They are worth more on the continent.

Andyk

Ewan's comments feels right...While Ghibli prices have gone up its seems a good 4K too much for a LHD car over here when you will need a light and it mentioned the gear change which is an unknown....but as you say you are taking it abroad so if it is a decent car it will be cheaper than buying once out there probably.ma very good inspection needed.....I looked at a lovely red one many years ago and on the surface it looked lovely then did some digging and a former owner sent me pictures of the rust.....the sills were riddled with it.

ian roberts

I had a very similar 1994 LHD 306bhp Ghibli. Agreed it seemed much more raw and alive than my current auto 2.8 1999 Ghibli. The 6 speed box and really free revving 2.0 litre were just perfect. The second I sold it for a QP I regretted it.....literally that second.......
I know where it is and just biding my time........
I also think this car is £3k too much as you know it will need some TLC.