Alfa Romeo Brera

Mr.Cambio

looks stunning...but...engine+diff is too heavy for the car. I would go for the diesel, or better the 1750 tbi version.

allandwf

Mrs allandwf uses a 3.2 Q4 Qtronic as a daily. It's a nice car, most of its bad press seems to stem from the fact it's not a GTV! I have both. They are very different, build wise light years ahead. It's more GT than sports, where GTV is more sports than GT. It goes well and makes a reasonable noise, handing is also good once you learn not to be scared of it, "oh no it's to heavy to throw round here"! It's not and it will pleasantly surprise you. Mileage haven't got a clue and don't really care. Had it just over a year and 8000 miles, plastic coolant pipe crack has been the only issue.

MrMickS

I never liked the look of the rear. It looks bloated.

I did look at one as a daily when there was a possibility of a daily commute to Durham. Test drive was ok, though I didn't push too hard except to lean on it in a couple of corners. It felt ok. If the contract had panned out it was a toss up between that or a 166.

Andyk

looks stunning...but...engine+diff is too heavy for the car. I would go for the diesel, or better the 1750 tbi version.

Yes go for a diesel.2.4...but that's only as I have one for sale....needs some TLC but engine is spot on and just has a fresh MOT.....and very cheap as well

Corranga

I have a 159 which is essentially the same car as a Brera to the back of the doors - where mine morphs into a 4 door saloon ;)

Mine is the 1.9 JTDm, sounds like a bag of spanners but has caused me absolutely no trouble whatsoever, save for a seized egr valve. Owned it for 4 or so years now, and the wife uses it daily - it's our family car.
They probably aren't up there with the Germans, but I've been impressed with the build quality / durability.

We test drove the 2.4 diesel, which actually sounds good, and obviously performs better but I was at a stage in my life where I was trying to be more sensible and not buy the silly version of every car, so settled on the 1.9..

beau

I'd stay away from the 3.2, common failure of the timing chains and common for oil pump failing suddenly and also bottom end bearings suddenly failing With no prior warning

2.4 is a good engine

conaero

Forum Owner
Echo the thought on here, the torque of the 2.4D is what you need and it is very well built. It on the heavy side...the trade off for being so well built I suppose.

leeq61

I'd stay away from the 3.2, common failure of the timing chains and common for oil pump failing suddenly and also bottom end bearings suddenly failing With no prior warning

2.4 is a good engine

What Beau said. My dad had the 3.2 Q4 in which the timing chain failed. Plenty of smoke and grinding, the insurance decided it was uneconomical to repair. I loved the car though, great winter driver

allandwf

Did I say mine has 117k on the clock. Scare stories akin 3200. Yes it's had chain's done as per schedule. The others have a worst stretching reputation.

spkennyuk

The 2.4 in the 159 and brera is a great engine. Standard were 200 or 210 bhp depending on the year. Have them fettled and 265 bhp is achievable.

They are a bit nose heavy but solid cars and a nice place to sit.

Have a look at the TI versions in the 159 if you prefer a saloon.

No real issues with the cars if they have been looked after other than: EGR valves sticking, DPF getting blocked if you only do short journeys. Swirl pots caused a few problems on early cars. Have a good look at the front subframe. The undertray cover can be hiding rust which can get bad enough if not spotted to need a new front subframe.

Egr sticking and DPF issue can be sorted with a remap and you will see 45 to 50 mpg on the 2.4 after a remap depending on journey and driving style.

If its not been remapped your looking at 30 to 38 mpg roughly.

D Walker

Guess I am looking for the holy grail, something thats a little bit sporty (looking & to drive) returns a decent mpg, say 40 ish, can fit 4 adults for weekends away and 2 suitcases, doesnt have to be a 4 door....and reliable, my commute is 70-80 miles and I have the option of a "fun" route home...

Suppose I have just described a BMW 635 or Merc E Class (Coupe- apart from sporty) but I dont want German, had a quick count round office of 27 this afternoon and 23 were Merc, Audi or BMW

Ideas on a postcard...

spkennyuk

Guess I am looking for the holy grail, something thats a little bit sporty (looking & to drive) returns a decent mpg, say 40 ish, can fit 4 adults for weekends away and 2 suitcases, doesnt have to be a 4 door....and reliable, my commute is 70-80 miles and I have the option of a "fun" route home...

Suppose I have just described a BMW 635 or Merc E Class (Coupe- apart from sporty) but I dont want German, had a quick count round office of 27 this afternoon and 23 were Merc, Audi or BMW

Ideas on a postcard...

159 2.4 ti will do all that for you. You can get a decent one from around 5k upwards. Seats 5. Pleanty of room in the boot for two suitcases plus bags or a couple of smaller cases. You can throw them around on the twisty stuff as well. Steering is quick and direct and if pushed hard you will get a little under steer. Lift off slightly and the nose tucks back in.

The only other thing with the TI spec cars is front tyre wear but expect to change front tyres every 8 to 10k on a standard car. That can be improved with modified settings and better tyres than the Pzeros that were factory fitted.

Andyk

Cant see the advert Andy !!

Not advertised yet Dave.....Its a long story but I bought her as a project to do up....She let me down back in July 2015 and took a while to get to the bottom of the issues. A mate owns a garage (ForzaGB)...worked on her in his spare time to keep the cost down and I've not really chased him up as I had my company car ..... Engine has basically been completely overhauled and in his words is a *******......The car needs cosmetic work......all wheels need refurbing, front bumper needs painting along with the side sills, driver seat bolster needs stitching as come apart.....little bit of lacker has peeled off the boot lid...I worked out to get work done around a grand.......I had planned to do this and maybe turn her into a track car once I had my company car. So she is now in good fettle and a fresh MOT and tomorrow I get to drive her for the first time in two years......My plan was to get her back a sell as I have just fallen out of love with her but now I am torn.......The engine work cost £2700 and the MOT another £500 so tomorrow I'll be shelling out £3200 on her.......Do I keep her and let Liz have her or sell....
We will see how I feel once I drive her again.....In perfect condition she is probably worth around £4500ish so I would need to sell at a price that makes it attractive to someone as a project......

She's a good looking car and looks great here but pictures taken just before the engine gave up....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 45