Illusive reverse gear 4200GT

Andy Marshall

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's the simple. If you had a CC you'd be extolling the virtues of it. The fact is that the 4200 manual box is pretty ropey in comparison to the CC.

Ropey? :baffle:

A sweet change action, no adverse clutch wear issues, no issues with valve blocks, faulty electronics, sensors and such like. Easy to drive in town, easy to manoeuvre the car with in tight spaces. Yeah, all seems pretty ropey to me...

Spartacus

This thread is interesting because although it's about manual transmissions the CC defenders have again come out of the woodwork. An interesting point to consider is that Ferrari 360's and F430's have essentially the same F1 transmissions as the CC and 3 pedal Ferrari's sells for tens of thousands of dollars more. Obviously rarity and driver involvement mean something to those drivers. OK CC guys go for it.

Yes, but a manual Ferrari has the gear change action of a " Rifle." .....The 4200 manual has has that action of a " Trifle ". :cake::rofl5:

Last edited:

conaero

Forum Owner
If there is a 360 Manual, it will be the same action as that as its the same box.

Cable routing might well be better though and 'less trifle' as the idiot above suggests :)

Spartacus

The Ferrari also looks the best ........ Well apart from Number 3 , which is Dems obviously
fezza.jpg massr.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Spartacus

My racer that i had when i was 12 had a better gear system than this . You 'd get a better gear change if you sent the command by post surley ?

cables.jpg

Last edited:

philw696

With a Ferrari it's all about the gated gear change.
Driven them all and one thing the manual makes nicer is reverse manouvers.

rockits

Surely a box with cable linkages rather than solid bar linkages or direct feed into the box is always going to be flawed is it not?

I think the CC box is a cracking box full of character & charm. You need to work with it to get the best out of it. It doesn't have issues trying to engage gears though.

I've had both & prefer the CC but each to their own. No right or wrong just personal opinion. I'll take the CC though

nfm

It also may depend on what you use the car for. If you go for the odd Sunday blast and then head home, do track days, then maybe CC has no peers. I am just back from a 1500 mile trip that while it included nice open roads also had plenty of traffic crawls, 3 point turns, reversing around corners (and back up a hill - oh dear), worked around tight car parks/streets. In other words it was used as a grand tourer/GT as intended. Based on all I have ever read the CC is not brilliant at that fiddly inconvenient stuff? (Having lit fuse, stands back.......). Cheers

rockits

I know...just teasing

Moral of the story is don't go backwards. Good moral in life....just go forwards....don't look back.

safrane

Aware I will face the wrath of some... but over priced with the miles. Richards car offers far better value.

FIFTY

Agree with Safrane it has about 20K too many miles for that price however manuals are so rare now that he can ask for a little bit more and you are very limited on options if one really wants a manual.

I scored mine at the correct price, in hindsight the car was far from perfect but I had no other choice as I did not want a CC so I went for it... if I couldn't get a manual 4200 and had to settle for a car with known gearbox issues like the 4200 CC I would have reverted back to my original plan of buying a BMW M6 with SMG box which probably has as many (if not more) issues as the CC

safrane

What gearbox issue?

Its the same box on both with the CC having a robotic activation?

Only a couple of cases re the actuators with a similar number of cars with cabke issues.

Even the clutch lasts now with the same unit in both types...its the tangs now that are the weak point.

FIFTY

Prior to my purchsse when i was doing some research I remember reading a forum thread or article stating the F1 pump could fail at any time potentially leaving you stranded in the outside lane of the motorway. Actuator failure, chewing through the clutch when idling at the lights (I know this due to poor clutch install), clutch tang failure and so on. Also if it was so perfect why did maserati fiddle with the CC software and Formula Dynamics did their own software upgrade in the DBW unit?

I have been on here a little while and I have seen threads pop up complaining about most of these from time to time but not that often and half of it is poor maintenance routine... that is one headache I wanted to avoid as mine suffers from the majority of common faults from the last 2 owners not doing preventative maintenance at least the manual box has been solid.

I'll admit it's not a perfect shift the clutch throw is too long making it difficult to get comfortable behind the wheel and the accelerator/brake pedal are not set up for heel/toe'ing as easily as I can in my 3 series BMW but if I get the shift right it's pretty rewarding and c'Mon guys it's the last 3 pedal maser they made you gotta show it some love!

Now the F1 single clutch gearbox has been banished to the history books with the latest GranTurismo will the ZF owners will start lauding that over the MC Shift owners?

Vampyrebat

I just don't know why Maserati decided to leave the manual world, most other performance car manufacturers still give you the choice. Not that I am changing cars soon but it leaves me pondering where to go to next??

safrane

Target audience for the new cars and even the GT just don't see the brand as sports cars more posh high performance cars.