Illusive reverse gear 4200GT

Andy Marshall

well I have a manual Spyder, and the box is as sweet as can be. If they are properly adjusted there are no issues aside from a slight reluctance to find reverse on the coldest of mornings.
Many garages have no clue how to adjust and lubricate the manual linkage, so fairy stories abound about how hard it is. Gary Tait at F1 (Burntwood) did mine a few years ago and it's been fine ever since.

Once warm its finger and thumb changes only. Compared to the significant issues you get with CC boxes/clutches I have to say that the minor issues with the manual are small beer!

jimmymoss

Totally agree Andy.

The idea of an auto/semi auto Maserati just doesn't sit well with me - takes away so much of the enjoyment.

I can see me having major troubles buying new cars in the future as manuals are a dying breed it seems.

Contigo

Sponsor
CC Boxes and especially the awesome MC Shift are so much more involving than throwing a lever around and taking both hands off the wheel.

On track they are awesome too as they rev match for you so no heel and toe necessary.

Give me a manual 3200 over an Auto though :D

hladun

Unless you've made the two adjustments I describe earlier in this thread you can't make any meaningful comments about the MT. I have a Spyder GT and the transmission shifts just fine. Eliminating the CC makes 4200's very reliable and low maintenance cars.

Contigo

Sponsor
Unless you've made the two adjustments I describe earlier in this thread you can't make any meaningful comments about the MT. I have a Spyder GT and the transmission shifts just fine. Eliminating the CC makes 4200's very reliable cars.

Having owned one and adjusted one I can. Also there was/is too big a disconnect between the transmission during gear change which completely ruins the driving experience for me.

CatmanV2

Unless you've made the two adjustments I describe earlier in this thread you can't make any meaningful comments about the MT. I have a Spyder GT and the transmission shifts just fine. Eliminating the CC makes 4200's very reliable and low maintenance cars.

They are very reliable cars *without* eliminating the CC! And for what they are, not particularly high maintenance in my experience.

C

hladun

They are very reliable cars *without* eliminating the CC! And for what they are, not particularly high maintenance in my experience.

C

I think there are a lot of CC owners who would take exception to your comment. A simple search will bring up many CC problem threads.

CatmanV2

I think there are a lot of CC owners who would take exception to your comment. A simple search will bring up many CC problem threads.

Indeed. AS has been oft observed it is unusual for owners of many vehicles to post threads along the lines of 'Another day without any gearbox issues' or 'Still no gearbox problems one year on'

I personally had a 4200 CC One of the highest milers. Near as damnit 90k miles when I sold it on to another forum member. You're right it *did* have a CC problem. The reverse gear lever became unscrewed. It took me about 40 minutes and £0 to fix.

Current owner still hasn't had a CC problem

C

FIFTY

Can we put this down to personal preference?

I rather enjoy my manual, tried both prior to purchase and I did not get on with CC especially in Guildford's constant traffic I'd rather have a manual or even slushtronic over F1 transmission from the 90's living around here... how often do I drive on track? One parade lap a year if that?

nfm

My manual has always been fine and change no better/worse than any other car I have ever had. Horses for courses. One day (2041?) the last of the manual v8s will be a sought after thing :)

Corridore

I would echo some of the above. The manual in mine is absolutely fine. High speed 2nd gear changes take a bit of precision, but no more than any performance car I've driven, certainly no worse than my Z4M Coupe. When purchasing I tried a few manuals and a few CC. I remember one manual being really loose, suspect needed cable adjustment.

The CC boxes - I didn't dislike, certainly had a special character. I guess it's horses for courses, but for me the opportunity of a naturally aspirated, quick revving V8 and manual gearbox was a winner.

One further point, I suppose, is flappy paddle boxeses have evolved/are evolving a lot, not sure if ultimately the early tech in the CC will date the car (much like the incredibly dated satnav/NIT set up..).

I think what's important is we all love our cars for what they are- slightly exotic sports cars, that perform and behave in a totally different/more exciting way to modern detached cars.

steve3200

I had the exact same problem with a 4200 manual a few years ago and it needed 2 mechanics to make the adjustments to the linkages, one in the car the othwr underneath, then everything was fine.

Vampyrebat

It doesn't matter if you prefer a CC or a manual, but I think it's something like 15% of 42's are manuals which makes them like hen's teeth! If you have a manual in good order then keep hold of her as they are becoming harder to source.

hladun

This thread is interesting because although it's about manual transmissions the CC defenders have again come out of the woodwork. An interesting point to consider is that Ferrari 360's and F430's have essentially the same F1 transmissions as the CC and 3 pedal Ferrari's sell for tens of thousands of dollars more than F1 models. Obviously rarity and driver involvement mean something to those drivers. OK CC guys go for it.

Contigo

Sponsor
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's the simple. If you had a CC you'd be extolling the virtues of it. The fact is that the 4200 manual box is pretty ropey in comparison to the CC.