3200 Aircondition only runs on step 2

Boomerang_GT

Hello dear Maserati enthusiasts!

I hope I explained it correctly since my technical English could need some improvement.
The 2 fans in the front usually have 2 steps, depending on the engine temperature.
When the water temperature reaches 90 degrees Celsius, the fans start running on step 1.
When I start the AC lets say at cold engine, the compressor switches on, cool air is coming out inside the car but no fans in the front.
After about 15 seconds, the voltage drops about 2 Volts and the fans in the front start blowing on step 2, which is really strong.
Did anybody have the same issue or would know where to look first?

Thank you very much in advance!

CatmanV2

When you say the fans in the front, do you mean in the engine compartment with the radiator? If that is what you mean, that sounds mostly normal to me. (although you might have an issue with the resistor in the radiator)

The voltage drop is probably just because the voltage gauge is rubbish.

Is there any other problem?

C

Boomerang_GT

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant the radiator in the engine compartment. I heard that the resistor might cause problems but more that the rad won't work at all.
With mine, all 2 steps ans blowers work fine. The voltage drop is only short and probably due to the power of the radiator blowers which I would estimate 800Watts in total at step 2.
Beside this, no problems at the time ;)

CatmanV2

No idea about editing the title :)

It sounds to me to be working normally. When the compressor kicks in to make the air *cold* the second fan should spin up (I think)

So why do you think there is a problem?

C

Boomerang_GT

Because as I wrote, the fans don't start when you activate the AC but some time later and then only in 2nd stage.

Boomerang_GT

Thank you very much Trev for this illustration!
Looks like there is much thought behind the cooling system of the car.
For me it seems that still the AC should fist start the fans on low speed after the second stage of the pressure switch was triggered.
It might be that my pressure switch needs to be reactivated since it was probably not used for years due to leakage.

Boomerang_GT

So, shortly before garaging my 3200 for the winter, the low speed ventilation started to work just by itself.
It’s much nicer to drive when the fans run almost unbearably in ac mode as well when the engine is too hot.
I have no clue what made it work again but probably it was not used for a long time before.

Twinturbo

So, shortly before garaging my 3200 for the winter, the low speed ventilation started to work just by itself.
It's much nicer to drive when the fans run almost unbearably in ac mode as well when the engine is too hot.
I have no clue what made it work again but probably it was not used for a long time before.

Try the ac reset , hold both recirc and econ buttons down turn on to mar hold them down until they stop flashing and you have reset it, I've literally lost the ac working totally till I reset it and cures all the issues