Looking at joining the gang...advice appreciated...

Sparkynw

Hello all, long time petrol junkie, many cars and motorbikes under my belt but never a Masserati! Always thought they are the best sounding machines out there but always had German stuff. Currently on an X4 335d msport which is a lovely bit of kit but no drama with it, no theatre, had a 135m for a few weeks before the x4 and a CLA45AMG before that but didn't really fall for the 2ltr AMG. I love v8s really love them but I'm thinking the v6 3ltr ghibli petrol could give me the soundtrack Id love without the horrendous running costs of the cayenne gts or turbo I've been considering? I've never had an Italian car as I say but had a few ducatis. Currently building a z650 cafe racer if there's any bikers here?
All advice on the Ghibli much appreciated, I will only be using it for weekend pootling about so fuel not a massive concern. My budget is 30-40k.
Looking forward to my first drive!

CatmanV2

Buy a GTS :)

Lots of current and ex-bikers on here (I had a few) but welcome all round.

Seriously why buy a Ghibli for weekend pootling? Buy one of the best looking, and *the* best sounding cars on the planet!

C

MrPea

MrMicks is the man to talk to. He has and adores his Ghibli S.

Welcome, and enough testing some cars!

Sparkynw

I should really get something the family are comfy to hop in and out of but the wife has a practical car so not essential...

iainw

Buy a GTS :)

Lots of current and ex-bikers on here (I had a few) but welcome all round.

Seriously why buy a Ghibli for weekend pootling? Buy one of the best looking, and *the* best sounding cars on the planet!

C

Totally agree with C. GTs is an amazing car and totally within your budget.
As a weekend car a ghibli makes no sense IMo- a GTs was made for weekends
Big seats in the back and v comfy for family

Sparkynw

Well I may need to look at a gts then :thumb1: what are real life running costs? I use my car to run my daughter about and go to the gym after work through the week and then shopping, meals out at weekends, prob 50-100 miles a week max. Noise and presence are very important in my car whatever it is, I think all Maseatis tick those boxes.

MrMickS

If you're only looking at occasional use I'd look and see if you can make a GT work for you.

As MrPea says I have a Ghibli S and it works great for me. I use it as my daily driver and need 4 doors. I can't fault it. It has presence, makes a good noise, and above all is fun to drive.

Sparkynw

I had heard horror stories (probably unfounded) about Maserati in the past I think that and stories of huge service bills had put me off trying one. The new everyday (if stunning) car image of the Ghibli s appeals to me on many levels. As you say plenty noise and presence. I do want to be able to use my car without having to be forever considering running costs...

bigbob

I had heard horror stories (probably unfounded) about Maserati in the past I think that and stories of huge service bills had put me off trying one. The new everyday (if stunning) car image of the Ghibli s appeals to me on many levels. As you say plenty noise and presence. I do want to be able to use my car without having to be forever considering running costs...

The stories are true but are old and are true for many other brands also. The Ghibli will be cheaper to run and most dealers websites publish service prices, the petrol ones drive great as well.

PS I have a GranTurismo but only drive it 2 or 3 times a week and rarely for less than 50 miles a time. It's a great car but the design is now very old and the battery does not like lots of short runs.

MrMickS

For some guide on running costs on the Ghibli S:

MPG - I'm getting low to mid 20s on average. On a steady motorway run I get 30. I took at trip to Italy last year and averaged 29.9 mpg for the 2500 miles.

Tyres - £200-240 a corner. I get 10k out of a set of rears and more out of the fronts.

Servicing - I've had two services so far, every 12500 miles. The first was under £500, the second just under £900. I consider that acceptable.

The thing that does get you is some of the ancillary costs. A set of wiper blades were just over £90.

If you want any more details on any of this PM me.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
A Ghibli will be far dearer to run due to depreciation; a GTS will cost less in depreciation if you buy well, but servicing and maintenance will be considerably more than the Ghibli Mick speaks of.

Sparkynw

Thanks Mr Micks that all seems reasonable given the car you get for your money. I probably do around 3000 miles a year in my car and rarely keep a car more than 9 months so those figures are fine. I'm in a position to possibly get a 2015/16 model so warranty would be in place giving peace of mind. Manchester have a good number of used Ghiblis in stock I need to make a space to go and get a feel for them.

GeoffCapes

Buy a GTS. What a car!

Mines a weekend toy (although any excuse to take it to work, like today). For the money I can't think of a better car on the planet.
The looks and the noise are worth 10x more.

If you want the quickest car on the road go for something else. If you want the most reliable car, buy a Toyota, if you want a car with that 'something' that will get under your skin and make you want to take it out just for the **** of it. Buy a GTS.

Sparkynw

I drove a cayenne gts last week which is a car on my bucket list or the turbo. Prices and running costs are similar to a Maser but totally different beasts obviously. I think I definitely need 4 doors. We've tried 2 door cabs in the past and with kids they are a pain. I had a 911 which the kids loved untill they were on a long run and felt squished....

Sparkynw

Been looking at the GTS! Wow what a car for the money! As said, up there with the best looking/sounding cars on the planet! If you want drama I don't think you could beat it for the price they are available at.
However.....I'm thinking semi-sensible here, I have a family and I don't ALWAYS want to stand out massively in the crowd. I think the 3lt S Ghibli would fit with my life a lot better even if the noise isn't quite up there with the 4.7.
Heart vs head is always a tough battle, I'd also like as new as possible, I drove my friends 08 db9 recently and it did feel very dated. I could probably stretch to a 65/16 plate Ghibli...

Rwc13

Go for it SparkyNW. They're a very good car that still has that Maseratiness. I was lent an S recently and we did Manchester to Goodwood in it four adults up. Fast, comfortable and makes a very good noise if not quite on a par with a GTS

MrMickS

The Ghibli does make quite a nice noise from the outside, at least those are the comments I've had :)

I've been making a few videos of my exploits, but as yet haven't got that perfect exhaust capture, and putting them up on YouTube.

I may have sorted the sound, by using a rear facing camera, but need to combine with the front view. In sport and in the upper reaches of the rev ranges its a lovely raspy sound. I'll add to the above playlist when I get a decent one, which might be this evening if the weather holds and I need to get out :D