Alfa luck continues

MrMickS

I was thinking the same thing. If a cam lock tool wasnt used or a make shift cam lock tool has slipped then a single valve and piston could meet easy enough.

The valve head falling off suggests a shock or stress fracture occurring you will probably never know why. Even if cam belt fitting error caused the piston and valve contact because its wasnt an instant failure it would be impossible to prove.

There's not a lot that can be done to prove things either way. Given the cars that they get in, and that they have a good reputation on Alfa Owners, leads me to believe that its a failure pure and simple. Probably related to previous work on the engine where a single cylinder was replaced.

Looks like I'll be able to have it back either tomorrow, or early next week, so that gives us a few weeks use before heading off to Italy in the Maserati. Will probably lay it up for a month and SORN it etc for that. Then think about storing for the winter depending on how the weather looks. Of course if there is another Llandow track day in October that would change the plans ;)

allandwf

It would have been good to know why a single piston was replaced, I would think valve was probably damages as a result of and was just waiting to happen.

conaero

Forum Owner
It would have been good to know why a single piston was replaced, I would think valve was probably damages as a result of and was just waiting to happen.

Sounds like its have a seizure before.

Hydrolock will crack a cylinder liner and a previous cambelt failure could have trashed the piston. This could have also been the cause this valve has gone.

MrMickS

The latest is that the front brake pads have delaminated. Saw them today and they don't look good. So they are added to the list. It's all being put back together now though so with luck we will have her back for the weekend.

allandwf

Brakes should be cheap and easily sorted, hope you get her back as planned and trouble free.

MrMickS

Glad its getting there, do we ask the cost or are you ignoring that?

More than if I had a garage and space to do some of it myself. The costs are on the edge of acceptable but as my intention is that it will be a long term keeper getting the other work, suspension, radiator, etc. done now should save money in the long run.

conaero

Forum Owner
More than if I had a garage and space to do some of it myself. The costs are on the edge of acceptable but as my intention is that it will be a long term keeper getting the other work, suspension, radiator, etc. done now should save money in the long run.

Fair enough, another one saved is the best way to look at it as others might not have been as sympathetic as you, well done.

MrMickS

Fair enough, another one saved is the best way to look at it as others might not have been as sympathetic as you, well done.

That's the way I'm looking at it. It was bought as a toy/project car in the first place so I fully expected to have to spend money, just wasn't anticipating on spending it all in one go so quickly!

I do have a list of jobs that will need doing over the next 12 months or so, but I'm going to look at doing more of them myself if I can persuade my neighbour to let me borrow one of his garages for a couple of days to do the work.

conaero

Forum Owner
OK, regarding upgrades, Catless manifolds seems popular and a Q2 is a must but as for polybush rear end, I would not do it again as frankly it ruins the ride, stick with the OEM parts especially in a Spider as it increases the scuttle shake IMHO too.

luckesGTV6

OK, regarding upgrades, as for polybush rear end, I would not do it again as frankly it ruins the ride, stick with the OEM parts especially in a Spider as it increases the scuttle shake IMHO too.

My favourite hobby horse gallops into view again.

Well said Matt :) as we all know the original 2 litres had flangeless rubber bushes on the spring pans which quickly debonded and the pan then moved forward under roadspring thrust and ground grooves into the rear frame lugs.
Alfa upgraded the 2 litre spec. about Y2K (warranty claims?) and fitted 3 litre sphericals which last yonks if the gaiters are inspected regularly.
The flanged aftermarket bushes stress up the suspension and may be one cause of fractured subframe lugs as they don't allow the required angular compliance and the spring tray cannot move in the way Alfa intended.
The sphericals do last a long time.
I am using sphericals on mine which are at least 17 years old and still checked serviceable on this years Spring checkover. :) :)

MrMickS

Slight delay on getting the car back. I need to be able to pay and my client has managed to leave running their pay run until after the cut off for same day payment. I was looking forward to a weekend of topless action as well.

At this rate the summer will be over, or we will be in Italy, before I get the Spider back. Fecked off!

Not sure about whether the Q2 would be worth putting on the twinny.