Alfa luck continues

sospanbach

had a v6 75 back in the day that skipped a tooth on the cambelt, car was in for paint and left in reverse gear one of his workers pushed the car backwards against the tension of the belt and car would not start, well not easy sounded awful when inspected sure enough belt had jumped a tooth

MrMickS

Timing belt is still tight and everything is aligned as it should be. There's something not right somewhere though so its a strip down too see what the problem is.

allandwf

Timing belt is still tight and everything is aligned as it should be. There's something not right somewhere though so its a strip down too see what the problem is.
Oh, hopefully nothing too dramatic, or expensive. Fingers crossed for you.

2b1ask1

Special case
Mine after sitting a while stripped the teeth off the balancer shaft belt and sounded all bottom endy and ran a rough as muck; I bought a replacement engine and took it down to Duncan in Bristol who diagnosed the issue, verified it by simply cutting off the balancer belt and it will still run - instantly quieter!

MrMickS

So initial reports are that there is no compression in cylinder 2. The remaining cylinders have normal compression. Getting the primary sparkplug out of cylinder 2 to do the test was difficult because something has hit it and domed the end over. So possible valve debris in the cylinder or loose head?

Wack61

Top man, it's the petrolhead thing to do, who wouldn't want a piston with a valve stuck in it on their desk

MrMickS

Not sure Mrs Z quite gets it but she has decided just to put it down to be me being slightly strange

I think anytime we're thought of as being slightly strange is a good thing. It does look good. Interesting to see the split that the valve put into the cylinder head.

MrMickS

Looks like I'll be having one of those nice piston heads with embedded valves to polish up. Valve head has detached and gone into the cylinder head. There is some scoring on the bore so the recommendation is to replace the engine. Anyone have a spare 2.0 TwinSpark engine, or block, lying around?

CatmanV2

Looks like I'll be having one of those nice piston heads with embedded valves to polish up. Valve head has detached and gone into the cylinder head. There is some scoring on the bore so the recommendation is to replace the engine. Anyone have a spare 2.0 TwinSpark engine, or block, lying around?

Feli might. Want me to ask him? He's re-building our head gasket right now....

C

rs48635

bad luck man.

Is it strange / co-incidence that a valve would fall off right after cam belt service? Not suggesting any foul play, just wondering why it might suddenly let go.
cam belt broke on my 166 V6, due to tensioner seized (was NOT replaced). In the realm of rock / paper / scissors the valve can never win against piston