Maintaining your Maser

wuzzer037

Good Morning

Still looking for my maser, although I'm nearing the end of my search. A nice 4200 is the one for me - maybe/possibly.

I'm sure this subject has been discussed before, and I know there are a multitude of excellent indies to look after your pride and joy, but there is no doubt parts/spares can be eye wateringly expensive.

However, it would seem that parts produced for Fiat's and Alfa's can be used for Maserati's. Is this true guys/gals?

If so has anybody developed a list, or for the techno geeks out there, a database of such parts?

I know (or should I say read) the forum as sourced parts at very good prices, but anyway the question still stands.

PS: The question is directed at 3200/4200/Gransport owners - lucky devils.

zagatoes30

There is a list of interchangeable parts some where on here but Maserati parts are expensive and there has been some manufacturer involvement in ensuring it stays that way, i.e stopping Brembo selling disks. This forum tries to find solutions and will always assist in sourcing parts through the wide experience of the group as a whole.

However Maseratis will always be expensive to maintain, don't buy one if you think you can run it on a similar budget to a Fiat or Alfa Romeo

philw696

Sad to say but a few have come on to the forum and bought unwisely and are no longer on here due to the reality of looking after these cars can bite.
Lots of the maintenance tasks are doable if you have mechanical knowledge.

highlander

Andy correct. The interchangeable list is not really that big and does not include any of the "big ticket" items. I was told 4 years ago before I got marci that to be safe, to have a war chest for yearly bills of £1500 for a 4200 and £2000 for a 3200. Tbh, that guesstimate has not been far out having spent a little over £6000 for roughly 15k miles over the period. If I was even slightly mechanically able I may have been able to shave a little of that off by doing myself, but not much really. By contrast, my daily Alfa has done 60k miles over same period and cost a little over £1200.......
Looking at those figures, I need to go out and drive marci to remind me why figures do not matter ;)

2b1ask1

Special case
Most of the workarounds are in the 'Alternative parts' thread, don't be afraid to ask if anyone has done a fix previously and it is not on that thread, doesn't mean it hasn't been done. I'm 6 years in and have done 100% of my own maintenance and repairs.

As a rule if it is bolt on it is probably from the Alfa/Fiat/Ferrari parts bin somewhere, bodywork will be exclusive. Good luck finding your car and take plenty of advice.

Gp79

As above the alternative parts is quite limited, in 3 years I have used just Alfa F1 pump but this is still a massive saving over the identical part in a Maserati box.
Also lambda sensors direct from Bosch not Maserati at half the price.

Don't be afraid of DIY servicing it isn't any more challenging than any other car.
Use Alfa 166 pollen filter.

CatmanV2

As above the alternative parts is quite limited, in 3 years I have used just Alfa F1 pump but this is still a massive saving over the identical part in a Maserati box.
Also lambda sensors direct from Bosch not Maserati at half the price.

Don't be afraid of DIY servicing it isn't any more challenging than any other car.
Use Alfa 166 pollen filter.

Yeah, there are a few parts you can save quite a lot on: Pollen and oil filters. Fan resistor, F1 relay and pump, cruise control, brake discs, pads and shoes.

Otherwise you're stuck with dealer prices (which might not be that bad for some stuff)

C