SM 2017 Xmas Party

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I think anywhere North of the M25 is the Midlands and anywhere north of Luton is The North.

Then Colchester is definitely midlands and perhaps even the north because it's further north than the M25 and also at a marginally more northerly latitude than Luton. I'm frankly amazed we don't all sound like Frank, we're that much in the Midlands.

D Walker

I believe north of the M25 up to Birmingham is the north. Past Birmingham is the county of Scotlandshire.

Oh how I wish, then both kids would be in Uni for free, instead of me paying for both of mine and my massive tax bills paying for the scots free education and prescriptions while they tell us they dont want us!!!!!

spkennyuk

Its a shame that some members wont travel outside of the M25.

Comments like its a 4 hour drive from ace ! It would take most of the northern members over 4 hours to get to a southern venue/meet/show and 6 hours plus for the Scottish members and yet many still make the effort. Ace cafe, xmas bash and Llandow have all been attended by the northern members in the last couple of years.

The only northern event i can recall that someone from the south attended in the last couple of years was Maf going to Oulton park if i recall correctly.

Its a shame that at times it may as well be a north and south members forum.

If everybody is staying at the hotel does it really matter if its in a more mid country location.

If we cant all get together once a year and all travel to a mid point location for the xmas party then we could well end up with a north and a south xmas party.

Like i said its a shame really that as a car enthusiasts forum some can't drive past Watford.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

outrun

Scottish passport control are now checking home address details and anyone from south of Luton will be denied entry. Good job you're all too lazy to make it up here, where the air is clean and the women even cleaner.

CatmanV2

Comments like its a 4 hour drive from ace !

4 hours drive is not far enough from the Ace. 4 hours *flight* is barely far enough from the Ace.

Leaving my very clear prejudice aside, I can't see the point in starting a northern based Christmas party at the Ace. Sure South Mimms or a number of other meeting points. What's the deal? Is someone getting a kickback or what?

C

spkennyuk

Its possibly worth alternating between say : Newcastle / Carlisle area , East / West Midlands and London area for the Xmas bash each year. You would then have a Northern , Midlands and Southern xmas bash on rotation.

CatmanV2

Its possibly worth alternating between say : Newcastle / Carlisle area , East / West Midlands and London area for the Xmas bash each year. You would then have a Northern , Midlands and Southern xmas bash on rotation.

Makes sense to me, then everyone gets a chance to not travel.

C

D Walker

Top idea, also means the responsibility for organising shifts around instead of er.....Matt!!!

2b1ask1

Special case

Comments like its a 4 hour drive from ace ! The only northern event i can recall that someone from the south attended in the last couple of years was Maf going to Oulton park if i recall correctly.

Errrm.... Not exactly!

I personally took the old Mas in the last two years to; the Yorkshire northern lunch autumn 2015, Rob's bash, the Vulcan experience weekender including cars in the park. All around the M62 so propped north of England. I also took it to Newcastle upon Tyne just for a run out!

spkennyuk

Errrm.... Not exactly!

I personally took the old Mas in the last two years to; the Yorkshire northern lunch autumn 2015, Rob's bash, the Vulcan experience weekender including cars in the park. All around the M62 so propped north of England. I also took it to Newcastle upon Tyne just for a run out!

Fair play newton and it wasnt meant as a sweeping statement. How many others have travelled north for a meet though ?

Your fun run to Newcastle doesnt really count as a Northern event either. :)
Thats my point. Its mainly one way traffic.

MrPea

Fair play newton and it wasnt meant as a sweeping statement. How many other have travelled north for a meet though ?

I came up for the Vulcan and that was great!

I'm with the idea of "If we're all staying overnight in a hotel, it doesn't really matter anyway". Somewhere North of Birmingham, but South of Hull would be perfectly acceptable to me for a Christmas bash. Of course, the Northampton suggestions are great as they're really close for me! Maybe I should suggest a nice joint in Oxfordshire, but it doesn't feel like even midlands here.

midlifecrisis

I came up for the Vulcan and that was great!

I'm with the idea of "If we're all staying overnight in a hotel, it doesn't really matter anyway". Somewhere North of Birmingham, but South of Hull would be perfectly acceptable to me for a Christmas bash. Of course, the Northampton suggestions are great as they're really close for me! Maybe I should suggest a nice joint in Oxfordshire, but it doesn't feel like even midlands here.
Another vote for Stockport, Cheshire then...

spkennyuk

If you were doing stockport for the evening bash then you could do indoor karting at warrington which is over two levels and then drive over to stockport via the country lanes to the whipping stocks for lunch.

I dont mind where it is. I just think it would be fairer to move the venue round the country to give access to all. Even if we all end up travelling a few hours to get there.