Garage floors - tiles or epoxy?

iainw

It won't sleep with its too big brothers. They are Too fat and ugly. It gets bullied for being a ponce - especially with the top down!
It needs some light shone on it, a bit of TLC and its name up in lights.
It didn't help yesterday when the valeted was going on about my GTS and how he missed it.
Me bloody too!

JonW

This is my current disgrace for a garage!!
Talk about needing TLC...
My house is still a renovation so lots of stuff gets dumped in here.
I will be interested to see how yours goes jon. tips greatly appreciated.
I got a quote for 400 to retro fit a motorised door so might spend what I save on internal mods.

Good to see a CTEK lead sticking out the back!

£400 for a motorised door seems like a proper bargain, so if it's decent quality I'd definitely do that

conaero

Forum Owner
I watch with interest Jon.

Walls white yes?...you need the white walls to reflect the light so you can see what your doing.

JonW

I watch with interest Jon.

Walls white yes?...you need the white walls to reflect the light so you can see what your doing.

Yep - walls are painted with Sandtex Pure White Masonry paint... Floor will be mid grey

conaero

Forum Owner
Very nice. How about a horizontal Italian stripe round the garage walls at waist height?

JonW

Very nice. How about a horizontal Italian stripe round the garage walls at waist height?

Nice idea. However, my wife already thinks I've lost the plot with painting the walls and paying to have the floor coated, and is complaining that the cars are having to stay outside for a week or two... I suspect if I told her I was going to try and paint three stripes around the garage that might be the final straw.

I guess I could see if I can find a self-adhesive strip though...

iainw

I think the Venus and Mars Analogy comes in here.. Men always seem to worry what their other halves think - but it doesn't seem to go the other way!
Thanks for motivating me to sort out my garage Jon. Will be interested to see how the Epoxy goes. I don't fancy tiles for some reason.
Is it relatively easy to get the epoxy level - does it give a 'gloss' finish without it being slippery do you know?

conaero

Forum Owner
That was easy - can even get stuff that is reflective so would light up at night...

https://www.adesivisicurezza.it/en/...iera-italia-rifrangente-a-strisce-2550mm.html

Nah, it will fall off. Do it later, she will never go in the garage anyway. Mine used to but then I moved the tumble drier in the utility now she has no need to enter my lair!

Get some 2inch masking tape.

Lay out 5 rows of it butting up to each other, remove the second from the top and paint green (or red depending upon your orientation preference), remove the second from the bottom and paint Red or green, job done.

JonW

Nah, it will fall off. Do it later, she will never go in the garage anyway. Mine used to but then I moved the tumble drier in the utility now she has no need to enter my lair!

Get some 2inch masking tape.

Lay out 5 rows of it butting up to each other, remove the second from the top and paint green (or red depending upon your orientation preference), remove the second from the bottom and paint Red or green, job done.

Love it - Practical Genius on so many levels! Unfortunately for me it's a double garage, and both cars live in it...

Interesting side-question about order of the colours - I would automatically have said Green on the top, then white, then red...

conaero

Forum Owner
Interesting side-question about order of the colours - I would automatically have said Green on the top, then white, then red...

I've been there you see....had the same conundrum with here: http://www.sportsalfa.com and you can see I opted for RED on top as there is no officially orientation for doing it so I went for what I thought suited the logo best!!!!

Kiwi Graham

Well I went for proper garage carpet $1,200 all fitted (triple garage), nice and warm, no dust, no drafts and has that luxury feel :)

D Walker

Jon W - Good work - I would have emulsion-ed the underside of the ceiling tho as they still gather dust,

Iain W - Your garage is giving me palpitations (OCD) - I might come down and clear it for free!!!

JonW

Jon W - Good work - I would have emulsion-ed the underside of the ceiling tho as they still gather dust,

Iain W - Your garage is giving me palpitations (OCD) - I might come down and clear it for free!!!

Thanks Dave, here's today's update after 1st coat of epoxy on the floor...

Attachments

• IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 28D59CE0-8C85-46EC-B6CE-6EA0F5508869.jpg
    28D59CE0-8C85-46EC-B6CE-6EA0F5508869.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 40