Exporting cars to Australia- advice

iainw

Can anyone give some advice re: the above title?
I know Julin is an expert in this area but have never spoken directly to him.
I have an ex surgical colleague in Australia who is keen to change his car soon to a prancing donkey or AM.
Luxury car tax is huge there. Is there an advantage to me buying one here he likes- keeping it for some time , the. Sending it over?
Can anyone advise on the most economical way- or if it makes sense to.
Could be a way I could try out some cars I want to and he could save money

spkennyuk

Speak to John. Essentially your looking at ocean freight in a 20ft container being the cheapest method. Unless john know of two cars going to the same port of destination at roughly the same time. Then a 40ft could be used for two cars as a consolidstiom to reduce the cost for each party shipping a car. As it reduces the ocean freight, handling and collection charges and surcharges pro rata per vehicle.

Biggest problem with Australia is the import duty / taxes on a premium car are high in comparison to the rest of the world. You should still save a good few thousand australian dollars by shipping a car from here.

iainw

When I was there - A ferrari was around 600,000 Aus D and an R8 circa 450,000.
The duty / taxes must be friggin huge!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Can't see any advantage, I thought the advantage was if you were emigrating yourself, and then you are allowed to bring a car with you tax free that you have owned for something like 12 months prior.
i'm no expert though just what I recall.

philw696

That's how it worked for me Mike coming here to New Zealand and they have to be spotlessly clean underside areas especially.

adam01

In summary 2 main ways
- personal import. Both car AND owner must be out of OZ for min.12 months. Very strict with this, customs check travel movements etc.
- bring it in and pay the taxes, gst (vat) and luxury car tax LCT and import duty - cheaper to buy locally.

Certain makes/models pre Feb 2007 from memory can be imported and avoid the LCT

Plenty of detail available thru searches

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BL330

Hi Iain, get your man to discuss all the in & outs of importing with Ross Pendergast at Road & Track in Silverwater, Sydney.
They were a main player in bringing in Gransports, 360's & 430's when the exchange rate was really positive 4 or 5 years ago.
They still source cars for customers, including one of Australian's only Veyron's.

Wattie

Can't see any advantage, I thought the advantage was if you were emigrating yourself, and then you are allowed to bring a car with you tax free that you have owned for something like 12 months prior.
i'm no expert though just what I recall.
Basically correct.
You can't ship someone a car......they'll crucify you on tax.
Cheers Wattie

Jkulin

Can anyone give some advice re: the above title?
I know Julin is an expert in this area but have never spoken directly to him.
I have an ex surgical colleague in Australia who is keen to change his car soon to a prancing donkey or AM.
Luxury car tax is huge there. Is there an advantage to me buying one here he likes- keeping it for some time , the. Sending it over?
Can anyone advise on the most economical way- or if it makes sense to.
Could be a way I could try out some cars I want to and he could save money

Hi Ian,

Just seen this, if you would like to give me a call then would be only too pleased to help.

In a nutshell the Aussies don't want Yank cars over there, they do make exceptions for vintage antique vehicles but are very strict with newer vehicles insisting that they will only accept RHD.

I am aware that a few LHD do get accepted but I think that is more through a back door rather than through the official route.

This was the last infomation we held on importing into Australia: -

MOTOR VEHICLES

Importation of motor vehicles and motorcycles are very difficult; regulations are strict and complicated
Customer must have owned and used the auto for at least twelve months prior to import
ALL MOTOR VEHICLES require Import Permit from Federal Office of Road Safety before vehicle is shipped
Customs requires a formal "Entry" to be lodged to import a vehicle
Formal Entry means:
The Customer is in the country of destination
Customer has completed B357 Form
Customer has submitted Purchase documents, registration papers and paid duty and sales tax
CUSTOMER MUST BE IN AUSTRALIA FOR CLEARANCE TO AVOID BONDED STORAGE CHARGES AND DEMURRAGE
Vehicle must have been steam cleaned and inside vacuumed before departure to Australia
Vehicles are subject to sales tax and very high import duties
Quarantine authorities will inspect the vehicle on arrival
Vehicles must meet minimum safety and emission standards and be right-hand drive, (if not, modifications must be made in Australia
LEFT-HAND DRIVEN VEHICLES SUBJECT TO TEMPORARY PERMIT FROM DEPARTMENT OF ROAD SAFETY
Motorcycles/scooters being imported by first time immigrants are free of duty and sales tax, and those being imported by returning residents are free of duty, but do incur sales tax
The owner or spouse must produce the documents listed below and complete a B357 Form (Statement for Vehicle Imported by a Passenger)
Motor vehicles over 15 years old can be registered without a compliance plate
Documents Required:
Bill of Sale
Certificate of Steam Cleaning
"Approved to Import" Certificate
Current Passport (previous passport required together with current, if current passport has been issued after purchase of vehicle)
Import Permit (will not be granted to Customers who are on a temporary visa)
Original Purchase and Registration Papers (showing purchase price and purchase date)
Receipts for any modifications to the vehicle which would add value to the purchase price
Insurance Policy
Drivers License
Service records and log books
Car Condition Report
Authorization from Federal Office of Road Safety
Clearance from the Australian Quarantine Service

As with all personal imports, you need to have owned the vehicle in your name during the previous 12 months and you can only import duty and tax free on the proviso that you are moving your permanent residence from the UK to Australia, I don't think you are planning on practising on any Kangaroos are you? :) in which case your colleague will have to pay the full whack.

A Mustang would be out unless it was RHD, an AM would be OK providing he can meet their very strict import requirements.

Feel free to call me on 01902-790797 if you think I can help?

iainw

Hi there :

Thats really useful.
He only wants a Ferrari (first Choice) or Aston Martin (Second choice) in RHD. Relatively New.
Could 'theoretically' it be bought in his name here, store it in the UK for a year, and then be shipped over?

iainw

An 08 612 Would be a good call out of all those on the list.
Would that make it more attractive?

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I think as he is already living in Australia, he has to suck up and pay all the taxes basically!

adam01

Be carefully with the SEVS listing
Its purpose is to identify manufacture, not necessarily eligibility
You cannot for example road register (mot) a La Ferrari although listed

Then there is the local compliance requiements RAWS to consider

"Please Note:-

SEVS is a process for determining vehicle make/model eligibility only.

This SEVS Entry issued by the Administrator does not constitute automatic approval for importation of nor infers ADR compliance for supply of the vehicle to the Australian market."

Wattie

Hi there :

Thats really useful.
He only wants a Ferrari (first Choice) or Aston Martin (Second choice) in RHD. Relatively New.
Could 'theoretically' it be bought in his name here, store it in the UK for a year, and then be shipped over?

No as he will have been a known Australian resident for years....tax returns, medicare etc

Cheers Wattie