Thread: More of the same?

Another interview with Reid Bigland (http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...ml/kommentare/) which seems to confirm that the Alfieri and new GT/GC are on the cards but with no real idea of dates. The GT/GC will be 2+2 whilst the Alfieri will be a 2 seat sports car.

There were a couple of interesting things here. The apparent reason for no engine change in the GT refresh is that customers still want N/A V8s. So perhaps there is a bit of listening going on here. The other is that no autonomous driving as people don't buy Maserati's to be chauffeured around. I've heard similar things about Alfa Romeo in the past. We shall see.
    2015 Ghibli S
    2001 Alfa Romeo Spider Lusso

Previous cars
    Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 MultiAir 170, Mazda RX-8, Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed, Alfa Romeo 146 Ti, Alfasud SC 1.5, Willys MB (1942)

Yes, but every single road test of the new GT will mention that it's 100bhp+ down on the M6, S63, Continental, DB11 etc. People do want N/A engines, but also ones with power on a par with peers as is the case for Lamborghinis and Audi R8s. I actually think he's talking BS. New car buyers in this sector want a turbo V8 with 550bhp or a V12. And we all know that the GT replacement isn't going to get a Ferrari V12, which would create a cheaper and potentially prettier GTC4 competitor.
    2006 GranSport - Grigio Touring/Nero

Quote Originally Posted by MrMickS View Post
    Another interview with Reid Bigland (http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...ml/kommentare/) which seems to confirm that the Alfieri and new GT/GC are on the cards but with no real idea of dates. The GT/GC will be 2+2 whilst the Alfieri will be a 2 seat sports car.

There were a couple of interesting things here. The apparent reason for no engine change in the GT refresh is that customers still want N/A V8s. So perhaps there is a bit of listening going on here. The other is that no autonomous driving as people don't buy Maserati's to be chauffeured around. I've heard similar things about Alfa Romeo in the past. We shall see.
    AM tried the same a few years ago with an interview claiming that customers still wanted the 6 speed rather than 8 speed ZF. Of course two years later they were telling us how brilliant the 8 speed box was. I can't even be bothered to read it as it will be the usual holding interview until they get sorted. Sure they are doing exceptionally well in overall units sold but they are making too much Chicken Korma at the moment.

Em, they have a 523bhp turbo 3.8 v8 in the quattroporte gts. I guess they forgot.
    MC Stradale

MC Stradale

Quote Originally Posted by outrun View Post
    Em, they have a 523bhp turbo 3.8 v8 in the quattroporte gts. I guess they forgot.
    The lowest volume production engine they have made for years. Largely (and I used that word appropriately in the context of the installation) because they only put it in the QP...

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    The lowest volume production engine they have made for years. Largely (and I used that word appropriately in the context of the installation) because they only put it in the QP...
    Yup. I really don't understand not having this engine as an option in the GT refresh.
    2015 Ghibli S

Previous cars
    Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 MultiAir 170, Mazda RX-8, Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed, Alfa Romeo 146 Ti, Alfasud SC 1.5, Willys MB (1942)

It seems strange to have the GT as a 2+2 when the Alfieri would be a 2 seater. Surely with a 2 seater being produced, the GT must have 4 seats otherwise they are going to limit their market. To me, a true GT should have useable rear seats and not occasional ones?
    Stuart
    GranTurismo MC Stradale - formerly the Maserati GB press car

Selected previous Italian past masters:-

GranTurismo S MC-Shift; 3200GT Assetto Corsa # 33/75; Lancia Beta Spyder; Lancia Delta Integrale Evoluzione

They want to sell you the QP GTS if you want a 4 seater because they've spent quite a bit on making it and not many people are buying maybe?
    2015 Ghibli S

Previous cars

Quote Originally Posted by MrMickS View Post
    They want to sell you the QP GTS if you want a 4 seater because they've spent quite a bit on making it and not many people are buying maybe?
    Charging £30k+ more than the V6 S will have something to do with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    Charging £30k+ more than the V6 S will have something to do with it as well.
    Aye. You've really got to want that engine.
    2015 Ghibli S

Previous cars