Flaking Chrome Air Vents

Fordy

Having read many helpful posts on this forum I thought it about time to contribute something myself. I've looked at a few 3200GT's before making my purchase, but noticed that the chrome trim round the air vents seems to be a common problem, with most having the chrome flaking off. I looked at replacements from Eurospares, but after a little research on the web found you can get fairly good results with a Liquid Chrome pen. For anyone interested I have taken some pictures to show the results, it's not perfect but I found the finish quite acceptable and certainly a lot better than the flaked chrome effect, all for the cost of a pen at £6.25 from Amazon.

For anyone interested here is what I did:

1. Pull out the adjustable vents from the air vent, these seemed to come out fairly easily with a gentle tug.

IMG_4710.jpg

2. use a flat head screw driver to lift up the retaining lugs, x3, and pull the air vent out of the dash, again once the retaining lugs were held out of the way (I used some cocktail sticks) the vent came out quite easily.

IMG_4711.jpgIMG_4712.jpg

3. I used wire wool, just because I had some handy, to remove all of the chrome from the ring of the air vent, then gave it a wipe down with some white spirit to clean it up.

IMG_4713.jpg

4. Apply a generous coat of chrome with the Liquid Chrome pen, I purchase the 2mm nib, which seemed to work just fine. I regularly pressed the nib of the pen in to keep the chrome flowing. Make sure that the work area is dust free, as any little bits of dust really show up.

5. Allow time to dry, i left it for an hour, then applied a second coat.

Here's the result:

IMG_4715.jpgIMG_4716.jpg

This is the pen that I used (I didn't specifically look for a 20 year edition, that just happened to be what turned up)

IMG_4717.jpg

Billy3200

Well done that is a huge improvement - it will interesting to see if it will lasts longer than the original rubbish quality coating used by Maserati - I think it probably will.

Scaf

Interesting post - I had no idea that you could get chrome paint in a pen.
I can think a of a few jobs for this on my Mustang

redsonnylee

Well that looks good, in fact much better than I expected. Am guessing you need a steady hand with the pen, well done.

Fordy

Thanks for the positive comments.

To answer redsonnylee - I didn't need too much of a steady hand, the chrome paint doesn't dry instantly allowing you to go back over areas already painted so it was reasonably forgiving.

I'll see how well it lasts!

redsonnylee

Thanks for the positive comments.

To answer redsonnylee - I didn't need too much of a steady hand, the chrome paint doesn't dry instantly allowing you to go back over areas already painted so it was reasonably forgiving.

I'll see how well it lasts!

That's good as my hand is a bit shaky!

Fordy

Phil H... Here's a pic of the car, I think its Brooklands green

IMG_2277.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 223

markp4200

Looks excellent, and I replaced mine with new!
Maybe next time, and there will be a next time I'm sure, it will be the paint.
Had a quick browse around and find it is possible to buy chrome in a spray form which could produce a better finish???
Amazon have a few around the same price.

Phil H

Difficult to tell from the picture but looks similar to Highlanders car. Apparently his is Verde Mexico Metallizzato. ;-)

I too think it may be VM, but either way it really suits the 3200. Nice car btw, and obviously getting the attention it deserves.

PH