Coolant in the foot well? Help please?

Tas4200coupe

Hi fellas, I've had a wonderful few months with no problems whatsoever, thus my absence from the forum. Just endless hours of trouble free and exhilarating driving!

However, yesterday I discovered the carpet in the drivers foot well was soaked in, what I think is, coolant.

The coolant level in the reservoir doesn't seem to have dropped much but still, the carpet seems to be damp with yellowish, oily, watery liquid.

I've been down in there upside down looking around and can't see where it might be coming from. I've searched on here for a possible explanation as well and nothing has really come up although I am dreading that one of you is going to tell me it is the heater core, but I hope not. Having said that, any suggestions or pointers would be most welcome.

On another note, best of luck to those of you heading off to Le Mans this year. It was great to catch up with you all last year and whilst I would love to be there again, from here ... to there ... is a very long way. Have a great time!

Cheers, Kim.

maverick

Yep heater matrix , I have done a complete guide inc pictures on here some where , It's a long job about 13 hours for a £50 part but very doable . Independent will charge about 2k so if you can undo a screw , tackle it your self .

zagatoes30

As above, if your mechanically minded it can be a DIY job if not it is a shed load of labour, ask me I know

maverick

It can seem very challenging but very rewarding once complete , just follow the guide you can always pm with any questions or call . Happy to help . Just one bit of advise and please follow you will thank me later . Buy some freezer bags and when removing the fixings place them in the bag and mark them up where there come from in each stage , also label up the connectors as you disconnect them .

BL330

Hi Kim, the good news is they mounted the footwell electrics on a raised aluminium plate so they don't get affected.
It's a big job that many of us have done. I made mine even more by swapping out the fan motor and heater hoses too.
In the process I was also able to remove the navtrac and sat nav stuff that was messingly fitted by the UK dealer.
Depending what colour your carpets are, it may be the perfect opportunity to re- dye them. Mine came up a treat.
Good luck.

Robbe

Thinking about doing the matrix switch as well (I smell coolant in the cabin on occasion, and level drops a bit), which matrix heater should I buy? I seem to remember it was an alfa 164 part?

DPS20K

Just an obvious question. You say the liquid is yellowish. Is the coolant in the header tank yellowish? I've only ever seen red or blue in these cars. The other possibility is rainwater leakage in via the corner of the scuttle panel. There was a thread on it on here somewhere.
When I had blue coolant in my footwells is was leaking hose joints rather the the matrix so check this carefully first. I only had to nip up the clips. Remove the trim under the passenger glove box to get a better view of things and take the carpet off the tunnel so you can see where the fluid is running down.

davy83

yes i would also suggest a little caution and make sure the fluid in the foot well is similar at least to the fluid in your coolant tank. yellow could be rusty water or a slime from leaves and rust building up some where? It is most likely to be the heater matrix but take a moment to make sure! :)

Navcorr

Do I recall seeing a few posts saying a quick taste test helps differentiate. Coolant fluid being slightly sweet. A tiny amount obviously followed by a thorough rinse.

Can recommend Paddy whiskey as a mouth wash - awful stuff and will semi-permanently anaesthetise the taste buds. Once had a Paddy based hot toddie and ended up feeling worse :smile:

Edit: http://www.sportsmaserati.com/showthread.php/9728-Liquid-in-Passenger-Footwell

Last edited:

CatmanV2

Thinking about doing the matrix switch as well (I smell coolant in the cabin on occasion, and level drops a bit), which matrix heater should I buy? I seem to remember it was an alfa 164 part?

166 actually

But following on the comments of others.... check :)

C

CatmanV2

Do I recall seeing a few posts saying a quick taste test helps differentiate. Coolant fluid being slightly sweet. A tiny amount obviously followed by a thorough rinse.

Can recommend Paddy whiskey as a mouth wash - awful stuff and will semi-permanently anaesthetise the taste buds. Once had a Paddy based hot toddie and ended up feeling worse :smile:

Edit: http://www.sportsmaserati.com/showthread.php/9728-Liquid-in-Passenger-Footwell

Yeah, it's a bit poisonous. Not enough that I'd worry a lot. I think it might be bitter now though? Haven't they added Bitrex?

C

Navcorr

Yeah, it's a bit poisonous. Not enough that I'd worry a lot. I think it might be bitter now though? Haven't they added Bitrex?

C

The metabolites of ethylene glycol are poisonous so harmful if ingested in sufficient quantity. Level differs for different people but clearly not something to make a habit of.

Edit: it appears major manufacturers of antifreeze are adding Bitrex now.

flexwing

Yeah, this all sounds depressingly familiar! When I bought my 4200 and had it checked over by the main dealer in Cardiff, it noted that I had a damp footwell that was caused by the carpet having been cleaned. First thing I had done was changing the pollen filter and clearing out the pipes and this seemed to improve things for a while. Jump forward 6 months and I decided to have a full service undertaken including coolant change etc. Almost immediately I had significant coolant loss (half a litre) and a slightly damp carpet again. I thought it couldn't be the matrix as I would have been swimming in coolant. The final indicator was an annoying misty patch on the windscreen on the passenger side. I couldn't taste anything at all but booked the car in to PK and right enough the matrix has failed in a spectacular way!!

CatmanV2

Yeah, this all sounds depressingly familiar! When I bought my 4200 and had it checked over by the main dealer in Cardiff, it noted that I had a damp footwell that was caused by the carpet having been cleaned.

I never *EVER* believe that old line.

C

flexwing

I know. Chalk it up to experience. Heaven forbid trusting a Maserati main dealer!! Typical situation of travelling far, too keen, love at first sight and ignoring all the signs. Terminally stupid!! God knows I have bought enough old motors!

CatmanV2

I know. Chalk it up to experience. Heaven forbid trusting a Maserati main dealer!! Typical situation of travelling far, too keen, love at first sight and ignoring all the signs. Terminally stupid!! God knows I have bought enough old motors!

Been there, done that. Sure I have the t-shirt somewhere :D

C

Tas4200coupe

Thanks everyone, terrific input from all as usual.

My coolant is yellow - always has been ever since I bought the car.

I'm prepared to accept the hangman's-noose with regards to the matrix but will pull back the carpets properly first and see if I can spot any other leakages first. I'd love it to not be that as I paid to have a new fan installed about six months ago and whilst the young bloke that did it was terrific, I'd rather not have to go through that process again (see attached photo!). She looks as if she's been disembowled! If only I'd known then ...

BTW if it is the matrix, what's the difference between the Magnetti Marelli version and the Nissens equivalent? Is the Nissens better? Why?

I'll keep you posted.

Kim

Attachments

• IMG_2044.jpg
    IMG_2044.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 127

maverick

A good way to check is to remove the centre consul and check the area where the air bag ecu is on top of the tunnel if there's a sticky residue around that area than most likly the matrix . ( it's right above it ) I'll try and find the link to the post of the how to .