Going to Ireland in July - Suggestions?

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I'm going to Ireland in mid July, probably visiting Dublin, Cork and Galway. I was thinking about taking the QP over, rather than flying and renting a VW Golf or something.

Any suggestions about getting there (was assuming Fishguard to Rosslaire ferry)? Or things to do, people to see, while I am there? Or things to watch out for (funny driving regs, etc)?

TridentTested

No funny driving regs. Distances and speed limits are in kilometres and can be quite irrational: some dual carriageways at 60kph, then twisty narrow roads at 100kph, the new motorways are good, the old national (A-roads) are often appalling. Not that I would ever suggest it, but with a UK registered car you can ignore road tolls, they will send you a bill (eventually) but all they can do is ask you (threateningly) to pay.

Ferries are dear but having the QP will be a lot more fun than a rental eurobox. Maseratis are very rare, expect lots of attention.

Best scenery is all on the West. South West, West, North West - just go west.

It always rains. I've seen highs of 10°c in July - it can happen. Occasionally the weather is good, and then it is heavenly.

Contigo

Sponsor
Doing the same in August, Fishguard to Rosslare crossing, Waterford, Cork, Clare, Galway, Bearna, Giants Causeway, Dublin then home.

Trev Latter

There's a great little cake shop at Ballintoy harbour. Very pretty little spot and worth a stop. It's fairly close to the Causeway road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zagatoes30

Ireland four seasons in one, any day, any month. The west coast is stunning but can be a tad breezy, outside Dublin roads are narrow, the new motorways get you west quickly but after that there is nothing.

Road tax here is horrendous, BMW 320 over €1k per annum, Maseratis are even more so very few around you will get a lot of interest

Keano

Check out the wild atlantic way - http://www.wildatlanticway.com/home Great run down the west coast and has great stop offs and key locations such as Cliffs of Moher which is near where i came from. I will be cycling it next year :) There was someone on here with a Maserati from Galway so you should be able to meet up

Keano

casadalloro

Try this.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/ireland/articles/best-ireland-road-trips/

The coast road from larne to bushmills is great, very good surface..Donegal is spectacular..some roads Can be a bit rough but still worth the drive...atlantic drive at downings a very famous rally stage as is the knockalla hillclimb road/stage(good surface)..youtube kris meeke knockalla..wow... ards peninsula near belfast lovely too(past our house)...

Oh..it dosent always rain... just most days!!

Enjoy...

Attachments

• IMG_5860.jpg
    IMG_5860.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5866.jpg
    IMG_5866.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 57
The saying is locally, "If you don't like the weather, just wait fifteen minutes." ;)

Guys, I've lived and /or worked in Cork, Belfast, Londonderry and am now living on the North Coast (Coleraine). If you want to PM me with your email address and preferences,
I'll do you a list of must see's and must do's, hotels, B&Bs, restaurants etc. I drove some Canadian Mountie friends around the whole island a few years ago, so am a bit more knowledgeable than I used to be.

Yes, there is a fairly charming little tea shop in Ballintoy harbour on the north coast. However, possibly because this is/was a location for Game of Thrones, the place is now jam packed every summer.
Quality and service have dipped and prices have gone up. Instead, go to The Wee Tea Room next to Dunluce Castle in Portrush, about 15 mins along the coast. VERY welcoming, under the radar still (just), food is to DIE FOR and prices are VERY reasonable.

The help I got here, before I bought my GT, was invaluable, so I'm only too happy to help anyone who ends up in this neck of the woods ;)

casadalloro

"I try to make out that I live in some kind of Game of Thrones utopia "

Of course we do over here...!! Know Ser Meryn Trant quite well...his lad is same year as my young fella at school...good craic on the Dads nights out!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Beattie

Bushmills Inn a lovely place to stay and owner Alan likes his cars..havent seen him in a while but he had a blue Ghibli petrol.

Yep, the Bushmills Inn would definitely be somewhere I'd recommend to the guys.
Which reminds me. The Bushmills Whiskey and Seafood Festival is on this weekend or next ;)

Ebenezer

Autozone
Train to London, Tube, Train to Luton (I think), Plane to Belfast, o/n in Airport hotel, cab to train station, train to Coleraine, cab to Autozone.
1 way ticket.....(Not much of a negotiating position) :(
Drive to Larne along the coast via Giants Causeway (When am I ever going to be in N Ireland again?). Ferry to Stranraer, Blast south to Reading
Eb

As this is a public forum, I better bite my tongue on this one ;)
Suffice to say, I've been acquainted with the guy that owns this business, since my school days. He was a year or two ahead of me.
I hope you got a decent price. PM me for any more info ;)

MarkMas

Chief pedant
The coast road from larne to bushmills is great, very good surface..Donegal is spectacular.....atlantic drive at downings a very famous rally stage ...
Sadly, this is all far too far North for me - For various reasons I'm going to be mostly around Galway, Clare, Limerick & Tipperary.

casadalloro

Sadly, this is all far too far North for me - For various reasons I'm going to be mostly around Galway, Clare, Limerick & Tipperary.

Mightnt rain every day down there...seriously though, weather can be way better way down there....enjoy

Drove the Ring of Kerry a couple of years back, very pretty.

Seconded. I could quite easily have skipped Dingle. Charmless and with a forensic focus on separating tourists from their money.
However, at the end of the peninsula, opposite the Blasket Islands is a little slice of heaven.

For similar scenery in County Cork, drive along the coast from Kinsale to the Beara Peninsula. Done it many times and it never fails to recharge body and soul ;)