Low Profile Trolley Jack

StuartW

I need to replace my aging trolley jack which has seen better days but has served me well.

I won't be using it too often so don't need to be spending a fortune, but of course it needs to be low profile and have a decent load capacity for the Stradale and my Navara.

Having been researching my options, I keep getting drawn to the Clarke CTJ2250LP which seem to tick all of the boxes and I am assuming that 80mm will be low enough.

I thought I would just tap into the collective knowledge on here to ask if anyone has first hand experience of these and if there is any reason that I shouldn't go ahead and buy one, or maybe there is an obvious candidate that is superior?

Many thanks people

conaero

Forum Owner
Got mine from Machine Mart (Clarke) and it was a choice between the red one and a funky more expensive blue aluminium one.

They both did the same job and were both low jacks. I asked the sales guy and he said they had had some issues with the casting snapping on the expensive one where the wheels join and advised the cheaper one.

Had it 5 years plus and never an issue and it's never not fitted under a car.

It's model number: CTJ2QLG / 7621815.

2 tonne Strong Arm quick lift. I removed the quick lift arm, it got in the way and just unbolted.

GeoffCapes

I got mine from Machine Mart. Mines quite low, but not advertised as a 'low' one, but is heavy duty and can lift 5 tonnes.

Think it cost about £120.

Corranga

I use one of these
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjl2-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack
Seems well made and does the job.

I remember reading about the fancy aluminium racing jacks from machine mart having issues with bolts coming loose and falling out. I presume this was fixed, but remember at the time being really put off, so might be worth some research. I wanted something that I could jack the car up safely with that didn't involve checking it each and every time and inevitably forgetting...

StuartW

I use one of these
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjl2-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack
Seems well made and does the job.

I remember reading about the fancy aluminium racing jacks from machine mart having issues with bolts coming loose and falling out. I presume this was fixed, but remember at the time being really put off, so might be worth some research. I wanted something that I could jack the car up safely with that didn't involve checking it each and every time and inevitably forgetting...

Thanks - that looks very cheap and would be a contender for me. I just need to check that the 89mm clearance would be ok for me, I assume that you have not had any issues with any low cars?

Corranga

Thanks - that looks very cheap and would be a contender for me. I just need to check that the 89mm clearance would be ok for me, I assume that you have not had any issues with any low cars?

I bought mine specifically to use with my Elise, which sits about 20mm lower than a standard one. Fits underneath perfectly. I also used it on my 4200 when replacing the exhaust boxes, no issues.

I bought based on recommendations from other Lotus owners on a couple of forums. General consensus was that it was as well, if not better made than Halfords / Clarke alternatives.

Their aluminium one got some good recommendations too:
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks/tja15-aluminium-trolley-jack

As always, never work on a car supported only by the jack. I bought a pair of their lifetime warranty 3 tonne ones (I think it's 1.5t per stand)
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/js1-5-axle-stands

I'm starting to sound like an advert... I have no affiliation with them!!

CatmanV2

The standard halfords ones fit under a 4200 and GT with no issues, you know?

Unless you roll it off the jack, of course. Apparently.

C

rockits

I have a low profile Halfords jobbie & it works fine for occasional use. It is the 3 tonne one & was only 30 or 40 quid but still looks well built enough & not cheap looking or feeling.

azapa

i use this, https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapidpump-62248.html

sorry if it's an overseas website, but ill bet the same Chinese factory makes the ones that arrive in the big chains in England too.

This WON'T get under my strad cross member despite its super low height. I normal start off at the sides to raise the suspension, use floor stands, and then put it in place.

I made a round, wooden "puck" with rubber stuck to one side that fits between the jack head and the cut-outs in the strads side skirts. Work great and doesn't scratch stuff up

Corranga

I made a round, wooden "puck" with rubber stuck to one side that fits between the jack head and the cut-outs in the strads side skirts. Work great and doesn't scratch stuff up

That reminds me, I use actual ice hockey pucks to protect the car when jacking, or placing on a stand. I've cut the bottom of some to be angled too, so the top sits flatter, mainly because the Lotus aluminium chassis is completely flat, but the theory applies to other cars too.

StuartW

Thanks all, it is just for occasional use so I'll pick one of these that you boys are using
Cheers

FIFTY

I have the basic halfords trolley jack and I do not feel confident jacking the 4200 up or down with it at all... the jack seems to slide around the contact to the Jacking point of the car while I'm levering it up or even when I'm lowering the car it's extremely unnerving...

Would s low profile one be better or should I just get a better quality jack i.e. one for £100 as opposed to £40