Low Profile Trolley Jack

BJL

I bought four low entry high rise Yankees from Equitech who are Sealey agents. They were £95 each plus vat. Got them in blue to match my Hoffman balancer.

I though about a two post lift but the overall height was 2600 and my garage is only 2500 so got four of these and they go from 75mm to 515mm giving plenty of room to get underneath for work on polishing the undertray.........what?

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
You aren't seriously working underneath you car using 4 tolley jacks as the supports?
...or have I misunderstood?!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I have the basic halfords trolley jack and I do not feel confident jacking the 4200 up or down with it at all... the jack seems to slide around the contact to the Jacking point of the car while I'm levering it up or even when I'm lowering the car it's extremely unnerving...

Would s low profile one be better or should I just get a better quality jack i.e. one for £100 as opposed to £40

If the jacking point is moving on the car, the jack itself is not being allowed to move on the ground.
With the arc of the trolley jack arm raising, the jack needs to slide slightly on its wheels.
Maybe you have the jack on gravel maybe, or rough concrete, it needs to be on a smooth surface.

So a low profile or more expensive one will not eliminate this problem.

FIFTY

You are correct Mike the jack quite often does not move causing the contact to slip... regarding the surface I've tried it on my smooth asphalt drive or the smooth-ish concrete floor in the garage... Maybe the problem is the wheels are **** or its a bit too much weight for the budget jack (although it's rated to 2ton)

redsonnylee

I've got the 2 ton Halfords Jack to, I don't have any issues, however my my driveway is very flat. I always chock the wheels and use the axel stands as soon as it's up. Prior to this my old drive was not completely level and I had some movement when using the same Jack.

2b1ask1

Special case
Nope, don’t work underneath on jacks or stands if I can help it! Not since the 4200 slipped off sideways and nearly pinned me against the cabinet in the garage in 2013! Set my mind on installing a lift and finally got it in last year.

CatmanV2

I used a 2 ton Halfords on my 4200. Hasn't got much of a chance getting the GT up though.

C

GeoffCapes

I bought a 5 tonne Jack from Machine mart, and it's pretty low (went under my 4200 and goes under my GT), it was about £120.

Mattp

I bought mine from SGS, after my small Clarke one failed... it was rather unnerving when my mate asked what was holding the car up, and there was daylight between the saddle and th car! (We always work with axle stands as well as the Jack so was all ok!)

Treated myself to a 3 tonne, low-ish entry entry with some new stands, all with rubber caps to help prevent slippage. It's about a year old now, but rather nice, twin piston, foam jacket on the handle, etc.. .

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3...9VfP1MeakH5bA5TQX0Z_yO9FpMZfOiAhoCIPwQAvD_BwE