Trouble getting into 1st, time for a clutch ??

Ryandoc

Folks

Admittedly it's roasting and I've been driving hours, some spirited. But trouble gettting into 1st sometimes when all warmed through, just on this journey, sticks in second.

Cars on 42k is it classic signs of time for a new clutch ?

Cheers

StuartW

Folks

Admittedly it's roasting and I've been driving hours, some spirited. But trouble gettting into 1st sometimes when all warmed through, just on this journey, sticks in second.

Cars on 42k is it classic signs of time for a new clutch ?

Cheers

Quite possibly, yes. Do you have a record number of when it was last changed?

Ryandoc

I don't but can route through receipts which I have done in the past I have a sneaky feeling it's the original one

conaero

Forum Owner
It is showing the signs of STF (spring tang failure) and if 42k miles on the original clutch, you have done well.

Anything upwards of 35k is a bonus.

StuartW

Any MD should able to tell you when it was changed based on the VIN, if it was changed the by a MD.
If its the original, that's pretty impressive

Ryandoc

I've driven over 6 hours today first 2 hours we're fine then played up a little, then I got to the twisty roads which is well over an hour of driving. Played up so I pulled over for 10 mins went fine and also had some mundane driving to cool things down. Ten more twisty and happened again, wouldn't go into 1st and you could hear clicking like it was trying to

In gear driving is fine the box feels completely normal. Only other time in 2 years this happened was my highlands drive last year but that was some very 'nice'driving,

Guess it does sound like clutch and if it's the original it's got to be I'd guess. It's definitely only happening after some spirited driving and things getting hot

My only question to educate me is why would a clutch being well worn stop ot getting into first, I mean the box is just. Manual with a load of hydraulic actuators isn't it? Why would that happens?

Ryandoc

Just this second arrived home since I wrote that last message, driving at speed the gear changes everything is fine, pulling away in first and then low rev low gears like in 2nd are a little laboured.

Gonna check all the paperwork tonight see if it's the first clutch, I've owned the car since 23k miles hence I think it's the first

conaero

Forum Owner
Turn the battery off overnight and try again in the morning.

It's worth a go.

Fluid could be low and the heat causing issues but when you go for first and it doesn't go in and it keeps trying is sign of collapsing clutch cover spring fingers (STF)

Ryandoc

Fluid could be low and the heat causing issues but when you go for first and it doesn't go in and it keeps trying is sign of collapsing clutch cover spring fingers (STF)

So by the sounds of it and assuming it is on first clutch (glued to sofa will check tomorrow) then by all accounts it's clutch time then.

What we looking at here, it's a GTS so I'm reading around £2.5k at main dealer or up to £3k of the flywheeel needs doing which you won't know till you see it ?

Ryandoc

Cheers Dave, seems all symptoms point to it. I actually mentioned clutch for this year to Falcon when I was in the other week so will get price from them and JCT at Leeds

D Walker

I hope it isn't but what you have described is more or less what I had, I couldn't get mine in any gear ti get out of garage!!!
You've had a good run tho!
Do falcon have the machine to set up clutch etc?

Ryandoc

I knew clutch cost was coming his year anyway so it's cool.

So I asked them if they can do it last week and they said yes, They can do all the adaptations etc ?!. They seemed to know all about it put it that way. It's 4 brothers isn't it, well at least 3 of them work there and one of them use to have a GranTurismo

Ryandoc

They did brake pads for me the other week, I've seen much discussion over aftermarket and yellow stuff ones mentioned. They put brembo's in mine they are spot on can't fault them at all

conaero

Forum Owner
You don't have a warranty do you?

It will be covered, it's not wear and tear except, it's mechanical failure/breakage.

Ryandoc

I have a good plated warranty with wear and tear cover through arrange direct but surely a clutch isn't converted as that's a consumable ??

I'll go check