Manchester Arena Explosion

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Watching on CNN. Still very unclear what caused "it", or even what it is other than a huge bang which caused a stampede. Nasty business.

Andyk

Just hearing this now....bloody pointless lose of life...19 dead......So sad. People going out for a good time to watch some live music then this. Tragic and thoughts with all the families.

MrMickS

Been watching this on the news for the last two hours. Can't understand it. What purpose can killing kids serve?

Contigo

Sponsor
19 dead and over 50 injuries , one lad I used to go to school with has a daughter affected with what look like ball bearing wounds to her torso :(

Animals!

No one claimed responsibility yet but could it be retaliation for the airing of the "three girls" documentary recently?

highlander

No matter how any of us try, we will not achieve any understanding the thinking behind such acts. Watching bbc news they were talking about surfing affiliated terrorist social media sites for info. I might be being naive in this modern SM age, but I can't for the life of me understand how they can have affiliated SM sites? Should these not be shut down immediately they are found?

MrMickS

No matter how any of us try, we will not achieve any understanding the thinking behind such acts. Watching bbc news they were talking about surfing affiliated terrorist social media sites for info. I might be being naive in this modern SM age, but I can't for the life of me understand how they can have affiliated SM sites? Should these not be shut down immediately they are found?

There are two problems with shutting down Social Media sites, that's if they are sites and not just groups on FB etc. The first is how easy it is to set one up and just how many groups there are on Facebook etc. If you shut one down another can spring up almost instantly. The same goes for websites. You can host them off the back of anything and mostly hide them. Shutting them down is like playing wack-a-mole.

The second issue is a little more cerebral. If you know where they are and you can get a list of the members and people using them then, as the security services, that's a great tool for tracking down these people and dealing with them prior to any act. The danger here though is that if people find out that you know about such groups/sites and don't manage to stop one attack by a member then are you culpable. Tricky.

I know that the government want the SM sites to police their own content, but that potential makes them liable to what is on there, which is the equivalent of making the post office liable for everything that's sent by post. In the mid-90s the chief way of distributing dodgy stuff was Usenet groups. I worked at a major ISP at the time and we, along with all the other ISPs, got a message from Special Branch telling us to drop a number of these newsgroups because the content was illegal. My company chose to do this, some of the others didn't because of the liability issue, and also getting a feed from outside the UK wasn't that difficult. My feeling is that prohibition rarely works, better to educate and prosecute.

There are measures in the recently published Tory manifesto that say that they are planning on controlling the Internet. I'm hoping that they won't try to make political capital out of this once the initial horror has died down.

MrMickS

19 dead and over 50 injuries , one lad I used to go to school with has a daughter affected with what look like ball bearing wounds to her torso :(

Animals!

No one claimed responsibility yet but could it be retaliation for the airing of the "three girls" documentary recently?

Its horrifying mate. Hope that the chap's daughter will be ok. Single person potentially acting alone. No doubt someone will claim responsibility at some point but how can we tell if its true?

FF1078

What terrible news this is. My wife and I were there on Thursday to see Take That. Why would an individual target a younger generation concert like this to kill and injure children and teenagers is beyond me.

dem maser

Even gangsters have morals.....these bastards have none!! Children!!
Innocent children who dont know anything or never had an imput in society ie votes etc....innocent!!

What cowards to go kill themselves!!

ChrisQP09

Sad news. one thing is certain, the venue officials and organisers have a lot to answer for! Apparently many witnesses claimed that bags were not even searched entering the venue!

Andyk

It's not the official that have a lot to answer just the f***er who carried out this cowardly act.

Wack61

Sad news. one thing is certain, the venue officials and organisers have a lot to answer for! Apparently many witnesses claimed that bags were not even searched entering the venue!

It's unlikely they'll ever attempt to get into a secure venue, why would they when there are so many unsecured crowded areas, one piece of advice I read a while back was when you arrive at an airport get through security as quickly as possible , don't hang around in the check in area because its a crowded area full of unchecked bags

there is no defence from a suicide bomber other than the community reporting suspicious behavior.

FF1078

On Thrusday evening they never checked anything on my wife or me. We could have had drink/drugs or even an IED on us.
Disgusting security

allandwf

They shouldn't need to rely on security, we need a deterrent, what that is I do not know. I just hope we don't hear again that the perpetrator was known to authorities!

ChrisQP09

On Thrusday evening they never checked anything on my wife or me. We could have had drink/drugs or even an IED on us.
Disgusting security

My point, security alone is not an absolute deterrent. However, watch this space every venue up and down the country will be performing all the security checks under the Sun!

Stupid really especially when the UKs threat of terror is still high! As for the culprit, well that one's a tougher problem to solve and centuries old!

conaero

Forum Owner
I said this during the last incident but was told by many that it was unfair.

The families of the people who commit these crimes in the name of ISIS should be deported to ISIS held countries. If the purportrators know that they are putting their families at risk the won't do it.

It is hard line but if they hurt our families and children we will hurt theirs.

We are too soft and just continue to let it happen.

Sure you can play the 'we are civilised' card but try telling that to the families of the victims!